Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Ok, so we've got the c130...

Anyone planning on making an AC130 spectre gunship now that we've got the c130?

AC-130

Why don't you look around in the C-130 thread. It has been asked and answered at least three times times.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 13 2002,07:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone planning on making an AC130 spectre gunship now that we've got the c130?

AC-130<span id='postcolor'>

It is not easy to do. It can be made however, the weapons will not move on it. You can not just stick a door gun type control mechanism for the weapons on the C130 because it is not a "helicopter" class. It is a "plane" class which doesn't have the option for a door gunner.

However... cannons can be put on planes and the cannon can be made to point towards the side instead of the front.

That way the aiming dot could be seen from your side window. However it would require banking the plane to aim the weapons. I'm not sure if the AI could use it, but anyone with oxygen (and who knows how to use Oxygen) should be able to make a rough test on the regular C130 to see how well this method works and whether the AI use the weapons or not. Basically attacking a target with it would be like doing a drive by shooting. The different weapon systems could be simulated with different ammo types. The hardest part would be modelling the external weapons and even harder probably, modelling the interior to look more or less realistic. I have info on the AC-130's internal layout if anyone is up to the challenge.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Sep. 13 2002,10:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 13 2002,07:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone planning on making an AC130 spectre gunship now that we've got the c130?

AC-130<span id='postcolor'>

It is not easy to do.  It can be made however, the weapons will not move on it.  You can not just stick a door gun type control mechanism for the weapons on the C130 because it is not a "helicopter" class.  It is a "plane" class which doesn't have the option for a door gunner.  

However...   cannons can be put on planes and the cannon can be made to point towards the side instead of the front.

That way the aiming dot could be seen from your side window.  However it would require banking the plane to aim the weapons.    I'm not sure if the AI could use it, but anyone with oxygen (and who knows how to use Oxygen) should be able to make a rough test on the regular C130 to see how well this method works and whether the AI use the weapons or not.   Basically attacking a target with it would be like doing a drive by shooting.   The different weapon systems could be simulated with different ammo types.   The hardest part would be modelling the external weapons and even harder probably, modelling the interior to look more or less realistic.   I have info on the AC-130's internal layout if anyone is up to the challenge.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

I like your idea. it wouldn't be such an uberweapon if it was made that way. but if you knew what you were doing, you could get a lot of lead downrange.

Banking it would be totally realistic - just be sure to put a HUD in the pilot's left-hand window.

Though it would probably only be a human-controlled weapon....damn cool for MP!

i think that the rudders and airbrakes should be animated first. besides,i don't wana spectre. i much rather have a C130 that can drop Daisy Cutters. that and would like to see DKM mod do some of their texturing on the reg C-130. they are the best mod group that can make the best texturing that match the quality of the official addons.

er DKM are not the best texturers....its mainly just plain camo on their stuff, id have to say STT's hueys(gunships are my favorite) have the best textures ive seen from a third party vehicle addon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Sep. 14 2002,01:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">er DKM are not the best texturers....its mainly just plain camo on their stuff, id have to say STT's hueys(gunships are my favorite) have the best textures ive seen from a third party vehicle addon<span id='postcolor'>

or BAS's textures. wink.gif

Maac & Marfy make most of their textures by scratch with a tablet pen hooked to their computer. That's impressive, too smile.gif

Anyway, about the AC-130: I die enough already, I don't need anything else to shoot at me. If someone could figure out how to change the gunner views to front, back, side etc. of the plane, that however would be a good thing smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ Sep. 14 2002,03:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maac & Marfy make most of their textures by scratch with a tablet pen hooked to their computer. That's impressive, too smile.gif

Anyway, about the AC-130: I die enough already, I don't need anything else to shoot at me. If someone could figure out how to change the gunner views to front, back, side etc. of the plane, that however would be a good thing smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately there are not gunners on planes in OFP. The game simply doesn't allow it. Only the pilots can fire the weapons. That's why you don't see a "player-gunner" or "player:co-pilot" option on any of the planes in OFP. Only pilot or cargo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Sep. 14 2002,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think that the rudders and airbrakes should be animated first. besides,i don't wana spectre. i much rather have a C130 that can drop Daisy Cutters. that and would like to see DKM mod do some of their texturing on the reg C-130. they are the best mod group that can make the best texturing that match the quality of the official addons.<span id='postcolor'>

However Daisy Cutters are more of an uber weapon, and they are rarely used in combat. They are more of a psychological warfare weapon. A B-52 strike is generally more effective.

AC-130's however are widely used by the U.S. in unconventional and conventional warfare. In almost every conflict the U.S. has had during and since the Vietnam War, the AC-130 has seen combat.

Plus if by some miracle someone got the AI pilots to use the weapons properly it would be extremely cool to see that big boy spitting out lead down onto enemy targets.

I think a lot of people would dearly like to see that addon.

Plus like someone else said, it would not be an "uber weapon" due to the fact that it will be much harder to target the weapons then a door gun on a helicopter for example.

It'll actually take quite a bit of skill... if it works that is.

To just test the basic concept out, no modelling needs to be done. Just a invisible machine gun or cannon type weapon needs to be added in Oxygen and then the point of aim needs to be to the side so that the aiming point in the cockpit shows when you hit #4 to look out the side window. For anyone who knows how to use Oxygen, it shouldn't take more then a few minutes to set this up to test it.

That way if it works, the project could continue and modelling could start on it. However if the test doesn't work, then the idea can be scrapped (unless BIS releases some patches to fix the game's limitations regarding addons).

If anyone does this and needs a beta-tester please let me know!

Thx!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>