Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Fisherman killed after whale lands on boat

So now we have to contend with earthquakes, fires, riots, endless traffic and whales!

From http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/03/whale.crash.reut/index.html

Fisherman killed after whale lands on boat

September 3, 2002 Posted: 7:12 PM EDT (2312 GMT)

MORRO BAY, California (Reuters) -- A California fisherman was killed after a large whale unexpectedly breached over his boat, smashing into the deck and hurling him into the water, a Coast Guard official said on Tuesday.

Chief Michael Saindon of the Morro Bay Coast Guard Station said the body of Jerry Tibbs, A 51-year-old restaurant owner from Bakersfield, California, was recovered Monday, more than 12 hours after the accident.

"I've had countless calls where boats hit whales, but this is the first time I've ever had a whale breach and hit a boat," Saindon said. "They were just two big things in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Tibbs, the owner of Mr. Tibb's Ribbs in Bakersfield, and several companions were on a tuna fishing trip several miles offshore Sunday when the whale breached with a spectacular leap out of the water right over their boat, a 22-foot motor vessel named the "BBQ."

Saindon said the survivors reported that the whale crash landed onto the boat deck, damaging the pilot house and throwing Tibbs into the water.

There were no other reported injuries.

"The superstructure crushed and there was damage to the rails and the transom was damaged. The whale came up out of the water, landed on the superstructure, and slid back off into the water," Saindon said. "We found a lot of whale skin on the boat."

The Coast Guard, aided by the Morro Bay Harbor Patrol and aircraft from the California Highway Patrol, mounted an extensive search in the area but was hampered by heavy fog. After about 17 hours, Tibbs' body was finally located and brought back to Port San Luis, Saindon said.

Saindon said the survivors were not able to identify the type of whale, which they described as "very large." Gray whales and humpback whales are often sighted off the central California coast.

"Both gray whales and humpback whales are known to breach quite frequently," said Steven Webster, senior marine biologist at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, California.

"You can't talk to a whale, so we don't know why they do it. It's thought that in some instances, they are just having fun, while breaching. Crashing and tail snapping is sometimes one male either trying to impress a nearby female, or telling the other males to clear off."

I read a different strange story today in the newspaper. A guy in italy died in his own grave! He was doing an inspection of the renovations of his family grave and slipped and...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 04 2002,13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I read a different strange story today in the newspaper. A guy in italy died in his own grave! He was doing an inspection of the renovations of his family grave  and slipped and...<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=18491 smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 03 2002,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From Avon:

"Fresh water angler? That's not going to help ya:"

003.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Hey Tex, i bet this is nice for your postcount, you post your posts and all of Avon her pointless posts too smile.gif

whale4.jpg

Thank you for sending me what you drawed this morning Tex, but I know what a fish is!

Happiness_Is.jpg

If I would be the guy the guy who took that photo I would marry the fish and throw that girl back into the water instead! biggrin.gif

Oh, and before I forget. In an other forum we always did threads like "find the superlative photo of". Someone started with posting an image and the others had to find a better one.

So here comes mine! Find a bigger carp than this one

carp1.jpg

okay, you topped me already damn! tounge.gif And no, this dude on the image is not me cause he is basically half a century older than me and wear a wannabe-rich cap from Jaguar!

Victory is mine!

Wow, i like this game!

Hehehe, thank god you're not that guy, you probable'd be banned for that smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Sep. 04 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.ptialaska.net/~seaotter/html/monster2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

that is not a carp. You tried to cheat. You are banned from this board for 48 hours, posting rights withdrawn and dsqualified from all future: "top this image" threads biggrin.gif

DUDES I LIVE IN MORRO BAY, WOOOOOWWW!!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 03 2002,16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Sep. 04 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.ptialaska.net/~seaotter/html/monster2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

that is not a carp. You tried to cheat. You are banned from this board for 48 hours, posting rights withdrawn and dsqualified from all future: "top this image" threads  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

And for your info that is a Halibut.  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rob @ Sep. 04 2002,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 03 2002,16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Sep. 04 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.ptialaska.net/~seaotter/html/monster2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

that is not a carp. You tried to cheat. You are banned from this board for 48 hours, posting rights withdrawn and dsqualified from all future: "top this image" threads  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

And for your info that is a Carp.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It's a halibut, you guppy! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rob @ Sep. 04 2002,16:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 03 2002,16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Sep. 04 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.ptialaska.net/~seaotter/html/monster2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

And for your info that is a Carp.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

IN case you take a homegrown Tschernobyl-carp and drive over it with a T72, then yes, maybe you would be right.