brians200

Randomly generated roadside IEDs

Version 1.3

• You can now reference places in the game without making markers or having to define them. Hat tip to KevsnoTrev for pointing me to the config.
  • Added a safeZone section to the settings. Randomly created IEDs will not spawn in here, but specific ones will. Large safeZones and lots of safeZones will slow down the initialization.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hey brians,

Using A3MP map pack here,

Wanted to make takastan ied filled, like ur altis sample is.

Is there anyway to make a global marker, for it randomly spawns on all roads?

If so, could u explain on how to do this? For now i can only get it spawn in major towns.

Thanks!

-SOF- Tactical Realism

I'm having some issues hoping to get some help. I assume the latest version we now us "IED_Settings" I go down the the iedArray section and remove all the examples that are there. When i do that none of my markers seems to work. I've played around so much and its so random. When i take some of them out is when it seems to create issues.

So here's an example of what i have now that is not working:

iedArray = [

["johnied",West],

["bombrad2",3,"West"],

["bombrad1",2,"West"]

];

It seems to ignore all marks and the sync doesn't create anything... Am i doing something wrong? BTW i am new to this so please bare with me. Thanks

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Also another quick question, can we use these IED effects in a object built into the editor? For example, if i place down a wrecked car, can i use a code to use that existing object rather then having a marker create a new object? Thanks

Edited by JCae2798

Hey brians,

Using A3MP map pack here,

Wanted to make takastan ied filled, like ur altis sample is.

Is there anyway to make a global marker, for it randomly spawns on all roads?

If so, could u explain on how to do this? For now i can only get it spawn in major towns.

Thanks!

-SOF- Tactical Realism

If you want to have all the roads as valid places, you can place a marker in the middle of the map and give it a radius that is the size of the map. I must warn you that this can take a couple of minutes, as it can take a while to find all the roads using the nearRoads command. That is why I broke it up into 16 different spots on Altis, as it is a lot faster to find smaller sections in parallel. So you can place a bunch of smaller markers or you can figure out their locations and create predefined locations, like I did. Only take the time to do the latter if you are planning using it on multiple maps. Maybe you can post them for others to use as well. Here is an example of how I did the Altis ones. http://i.imgur.com/KKaqy8N.jpg. Then, when you are previewing the mission, you can see where the marker's location is using hint format["%1", getMarkerPos "markerName"]; in the debug console.

If you want more than just major cities, you can also use the "AllVillages" and "AllLocals" keywords as well. The "All" keyword combines all three. You will have to check the config of Takistan to see what places those actually correspond to.

If somebody knows how to pull the list of roads out of the config file, I could probably make this a lot faster.

I'm having some issues hoping to get some help. I assume the latest version we now us "IED_Settings" I go down the the iedArray section and remove all the examples that are there. When i do that none of my markers seems to work. I've played around so much and its so random. When i take some of them out is when it seems to create issues.

So here's an example of what i have now that is not working:

iedArray = [

["johnied",West],

["bombrad2",3,"West"],

["bombrad1",2,"West"]

];

It seems to ignore all marks and the sync doesn't create anything... Am i doing something wrong? BTW i am new to this so please bare with me. Thanks

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Also another quick question, can we use these IED effects in a object built into the editor? For example, if i place down a wrecked car, can i use a code to use that existing object rather then having a marker create a new object? Thanks

You are correct about editing Ied_Settings.sqf. The first thing I would try is turn on debug mode (towards the top of that file) and see if it really isn't working. This will mark all the IEDs on the map for the server. It will also spew a bunch of text out in the console as it synchs them.

If they aren't showing up, did actually create a marker or predefine a location called "johnied" or "bombrad2" or "bombrad1" ?

As for your other question,

That would be pretty hard to do. You could create a trigger on that object and strip out the parts of my code that do the detecting and the exploding, and remove the parts that generate other stuff. However, you would have to have to manage the synchronization, hit detection, disarming, and JIP yourself.

Thanks Brian for the reply. Yes i created one marker sized 1x1 named johnied, and then 2 boxed markers named bombrad2 and 1. The weird thing is if i leave most of the default examples you have in the file and add my markers, it works just fine. But if i remove your examples and try just to add my custom markers, it kills the script. The debug is on, no markers show on the map, and the sync message shows but no IED were synced/created... Any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

This is so weird....i was getting ready to send you the files and i tested it again and now seems to be working. I did delete the files and start over some maybe that did it. Either way i'll keep you posted. Thanks!

I have added a video tutorial to the front post if anybody is still having problems.

• Like 1

Is there a global variable that holds all IED's in a marker or town area?

I would like to use this to complete a task in a mission. but it is hard to know if just a few IED's are disarmed.

I could help find a way of figuring this out if needed.

thanks.

Edited by KevsnoTrev
oops drunk speak!

Great epic work!!!! and biggest thanks to Brians200 for bothering porting this to arma 3 much pro m8.

Is there a global variable that holds all IED's in a marker or town area?

I would like to use this to complete a task in a mission. but it is hard to know if just a few IED's are disarmed.

I could help find a way of figuring this out if needed.

thanks.

Hello, the IEDs are not currently associated with any marker or town. If you wanted to do something like that in the present form, you would have to know the numbers of the IEDs for each section. So if your first entry spawns 10 IEDs, then you would need to look at ieds 0 through 9.

You can tell an IED has been disarmed if the trigger for it is gone, but the item itself is still there. All the triggers follow the naming convention of t_#. So the first one to spawn is t_0. You can use isNull to check if the trigger is still active.

When an IED is set off, the actual item it was hiding in gets deleted as well. The items follow the naming convention of ied_#. You can use the isNull check on this as well to see if it is was set off.

if (isNull t_0 && isNull ied_0) == true, then the IED was set off

if(isNull t_0 && not isNull ied_0) == true, then the IED was disarmed.

Secondary IEDs have a fixed percentage chance of spawning after a real one goes off. They are named secied_# and st_# accordingly. The number will be the same as the one that was set off.

Hope this helps. If I get some more time in the future, I can maybe come up with something that will make it easier to do what you are wanting.

Great epic work!!!! and biggest thanks to Brians200 for bothering porting this to arma 3 much pro m8.

Thank you!

Here you go KevsnoTrev

Change Log:

Version 1.4

• The script now generates strings of code that you can use to check if an IED from a section has exploded
  • The script now generates strings of code that you can use to check if ALL IEDs from a section have been disarmed

Checking the status of a section of IEDs

As of version 1.4, you can now use the auto generated strings to check if an IED from a section has gone off or if ALL IEDs from a section have been disarmed.

For example, assume you started with these 2 towns

iedArray = [
["Gravia", 3, 8, "West" ],
["Lakka", 2, 8, "West" ]
]; 

If we want to check if any IED has been set off in Gravia, we can use the following.

call compile (explodedSections select 0)

If we want check if all the IEDS in Lakka have been disarmed, we can use the following.

call compile (disarmedSections select 1)

Thanks Brian. I was going to use a heap of get and set variables but got stuck converting the string name to an object.

Will have to give it a go when I finish work. Awesome job.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

I'm going to give this a go looks real promising. Thanks for the hard work on this !

Quick question, is there a way to make IEDs explode for ALL factions ?

I'm going to give this a go looks real promising. Thanks for the hard work on this !

Quick question, is there a way to make IEDs explode for ALL factions ?

Not in the current implementation. I am using the default side behavior for the triggers, so these are the only valid sides. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/side

When I get a break from school, I may work on adding that.

Not in the current implementation. I am using the default side behavior for the triggers, so these are the only valid sides. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/side

When I get a break from school, I may work on adding that.

Cheers for the reply. For now i will prolly just use GUER since that faction is not active in my mission.

And i might play with: "LOGIC", "ENEMY", "AMBIENT LIFE", "UNKNOWN" Maybe one of those will do exactly what i need...?

Have the basic implementation finished now experimenting with the setup and fine tuning. Looking forward to one of your pre-announced update where i can select small or heavy IED's per marker. Would be awesome to have the towns full of small IED's and the heavier stuff out on the countryside :)

Cheers for the reply. For now i will prolly just use GUER since that faction is not active in my mission.

And i might play with: "LOGIC", "ENEMY", "AMBIENT LIFE", "UNKNOWN" Maybe one of those will do exactly what i need...?

Have the basic implementation finished now experimenting with the setup and fine tuning. Looking forward to one of your pre-announced update where i can select small or heavy IED's per marker. Would be awesome to have the towns full of small IED's and the heavier stuff out on the countryside :)

Using GUER means that only guerilla forces will set it off. Hmm.. let me see if I can quickly make something for multiple sides tonight.

As far as the percentages, that is a global option. For now at least.

Using GUER means that only guerilla forces will set it off. Hmm.. let me see if I can quickly make something for multiple sides tonight.

As far as the percentages, that is a global option. For now at least.

Basically i would be using it in a PvP mission red vs Blue.

At the moment i'm spawning everything twice, adding overhead, but still gives sort of desired effect of danger for both parties. while keeping civ alive.

Let me know if you find any problems.

Change Log:

Version 1.5

• Multiple sides can now set off IEDs
  • In an attempt to overcome the inaccurate reporting of speed in the game, players crawling will not be able to set it off, even if the game inaccurately reports them going over the max speed.

The side can be a single side, or an array of sides

Ex. "West" or ["West,"East"]

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/side

Edited by brians200

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Im not good with scripts/code and Im trying to use this in the DUWS that i like to play. Is there a way you could walk me through how to do this? Ive done what you posted by putting it into the init.sqf but its still not showing up in my game

@Foxhound, cheers!

Im not good with scripts/code and Im trying to use this in the DUWS that i like to play. Is there a way you could walk me through how to do this? Ive done what you posted by putting it into the init.sqf but its still not showing up in my game

First, follow the tutorial video on the front page. If you are still having problems, you will need to be more specific.