brians200

Randomly generated roadside IEDs

i check the ied.sqf and it requires name and locations of cities. That mean it is only possible to use it with altis without searching all name and location. Is it possible to do something to simplify the user way to use it on other.

For example atm, lot of player are playing takistan, chernaruss etc ... A simplify way to use the script on those map or user map would be so cool.

You just make your own area markers and add the marker name to the script where all the town names are.

i check the ied.sqf and it requires name and locations of cities. That mean it is only possible to use it with altis without searching all name and location. Is it possible to do something to simplify the user way to use it on other.

For example atm, lot of player are playing takistan, chernaruss etc ... A simplify way to use the script on those map or user map would be so cool.

You are checking the wrong file. As I said on the first post, you can provide one of the city names I included for convenience, or you can use a marker name. Create a marker on the map and give it a size. Then, go to Ied_Init.sqf and put your marker name in there. You can remove all the others ones, I just provided a sample of how to cover the majority of Altis.

Hello,

In the file called Ied.sqf, near the top, there is a variable called "debug". Set that to true. This will show where all the IEDs are on the map if you are on single player or the host of the server. I can't offer more help without seeing your mission. You can send me a pm if you don't want to share it publicly.

You should see markers like this http://i.imgur.com/HNDtiK8.jpg

Thank you! I see the markers and can confirm it is working perfectly! Thanks.

You are checking the wrong file. As I said on the first post, you can provide one of the city names I included for convenience, or you can use a marker name. Create a marker on the map and give it a size. Then, go to Ied_Init.sqf and put your marker name in there. You can remove all the others ones, I just provided a sample of how to cover the majority of Altis.

well .... Thanks a lot i totally didn't understand it ... Sorry for disturbing XD.

First Id like to say thanks and awesome mod! I experience a pretty large drop in FPS when this is enabled (just having it on( and I was just wondering if that is happening to anyone else?

First Id like to say thanks and awesome mod! I experience a pretty large drop in FPS when this is enabled (just having it on( and I was just wondering if that is happening to anyone else?

I have low FPS during the first couple seconds of starting a server, while all the IEDs are being generated.

If it is laggy for you after that, try reducing the number of IEDs you are generating.

If you are only experiencing lag during an explosion, it is because my first attempt at a smoke cloud was awful and is generating too many particles. I posted a way to reduce them on page 2. I have already recreated it and will be releasing a big update to this mod either Monday or Tuesday, adding what people have asked for so far.

Here is a video of the new smoke.

Thanks for your quick response! Its just lag when I start the server, havent had a lot of free time lately and I haven't checked to see if it goes away after awhile. Any idea when the new update is coming out? :P Also I was wondering if you can visually identify them like in Arma 2 with visible wires and can they be destroyed with gunshots? If not how can you tell its an IED or is it out of place objects you need to watch for?

Thanks again!!!

The update will be out tonight. It is basically ready, I am just testing for bugs right now.

These cannot be destroyed by gunshots. In the current version, you have to walk up to it with a mine detector in your inventory. If it is an IED, you will get a disarm option.

I have updated this.

Change Log:

Version 1.1

• New smoke cloud particles that produce significantly less particles than the original.
  • New smoke plume effects
  • Your screen will now only shake if you are within 200 meters of the explosion
  • Fixed JIP issue where they could disarm already disarmed IEDs
  • Disarm option is now colored and has a higher priority in the list
  • Fixed a bug with the detection of the road direction
  • Added more variance with where IEDs spawn along the road
  • You can now specify how many real IEDs and fake IEDs you want in an area
  • Added a check to see if the marker exists before attempting to place IEDs there
  • Added option to hide the marker used to place the IEDs
  • Added option to set what items are required to disarm the IED
  • Added option to set the percentage regular players can disarm at
  • Added option to set what classes are better at disarming
  • Added option to set the percentage increase knowledgeable players get while disarming
  • Moved the items that IEDs hide in to Ied_Init.sqf for easier editing

These cannot be destroyed by gunshots. In the current version, you have to walk up to it with a mine detector in your inventory. If it is an IED, you will get a disarm option.

It's very cool! I wish it would work with A2 maps via AiA. There is a lot of Iraq and Afghanistan to still be mined :D

You say gun shots will not destroy them. What about bigger rounds, grenades or explosive charges? My son was 89D (EOD) in Iraq and they blow more IEDs up than they do disarm them, so he says anyway.

Thanks for your work on this!

It's very cool! I wish it would work with A2 maps via AiA. There is a lot of Iraq and Afghanistan to still be mined :D

You say gun shots will not destroy them. What about bigger rounds, grenades or explosive charges? My son was 89D (EOD) in Iraq and they blow more IEDs up than they do disarm them, so he says anyway.

Thanks for your work on this!

Right now, the only way to remove them is to set them off or disarm them with the disarm option. You can do whatever you want to the object, but the trigger is what actually sets it off. I will look into using explosives to set them off in a future release.

Let me ask you, because I have no experience in this area. Does doing a controlled detonation create the same kind of blast as setting them off ?

I am not sure if this is the same thing, because I haven't used them, but Banky says it works for Takistan and Chernarus.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170703-Randomly-generated-roadside-IEDs&p=2587519&viewfull=1#post2587519

Right now, the only way to remove them is to set them off or disarm them with the disarm option. You can do whatever you want to the object, but the trigger is what actually sets it off. I will look into using explosives to set them off in a future release.

Let me ask you, because I have no experience in this area. Does doing a controlled detonation create the same kind of blast as setting them off ?

I am not sure if this is the same thing, because I haven't used them, but Banky says it works for Takistan and Chernarus.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170703-Randomly-generated-roadside-IEDs&p=2587519&viewfull=1#post2587519

I *think* so but am no expert either. I know there are times where an HMG or 30mm will be used to try and trip it from a distance, if they suspect one is placed up ahead (especially nasty remote det ones, by cell phone, etc.) so I suppose that could be expected.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to detect if an explosion hits an item AND tell what type of explosive it is?

I can use this to detect if an explosion hit it. It will tell me how much damage it took, which is a useless value for this purpose.

[url="http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addEventHandler"]addeventhandler [/url]["[url="http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Event_Handlers#Explosion"]Explosion[/url]", {hint format["%1",_this]}]

However, I would like to determine what the item actually was. This will allow me to give a grenade a smaller chance of tripping it vs a satchel, for example.

HandleDamage looks promising, but it does not trigger on the IED items, like buckets. I can get to trigger on say a hunter though..

Edited by brians200

Brian,

Create an invisible heli pad at the IED location and see if handledamage works on them when the IED goes off?

Tanky -Paul-

The helipad does not set off an event either.

I am trying to detect things like grenades or rockets, so I can give them a low percentage of triggering the IED from a distance.

Edited by brians200

Thanks for informing us about the updated release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Nice update.

The little thing missing is a readme or pdf to show people how to modify it. For example how to change % of each type of IED.

Also i asked, you told me to use marker. I don't use them because it is just a visual help to see which surface will be covered.

I'm not good at scripting but i'm trying to find a way to just sync the name and the radius of a marker => you just have to add the name of the marker into the ied.sqf for example.

If i do it i will send you what i have done and if you are interested by updating this thing.

The helipad does not set off an event either.

I am trying to detect things like grenades or rockets, so I can give them a low percentage of triggering the IED from a distance.

Could you perhaps tie the percentage chance of triggering the IED to the amount of damage it receives from the explosion, rather than the particular explosion type? If you can't find any way of determining the explosion type, that is.

Could you perhaps tie the percentage chance of triggering the IED to the amount of damage it receives from the explosion, rather than the particular explosion type? If you can't find any way of determining the explosion type, that is.

The damage will always be zero for these objects, as they have 0 health.

I have asked over on the scripting forum and have a lead. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170903-How-do-you-find-out-what-type-of-explosive-hit-an-object

Nice update.

The little thing missing is a readme or pdf to show people how to modify it. For example how to change % of each type of IED.

Also i asked, you told me to use marker. I don't use them because it is just a visual help to see which surface will be covered.

I'm not good at scripting but i'm trying to find a way to just sync the name and the radius of a marker => you just have to add the name of the marker into the ied.sqf for example.

If i do it i will send you what i have done and if you are interested by updating this thing.

You are welcome to compile a list of places. I will be changing the way they are formatted in the next update, so please put them in this format.

[Name, locationX, locationY, locationZ, sizeWidth, sizeHeight]

Edited by brians200

I can tell you from experience that the blast is the same when it is a controlled detonation as when the victim sets it off.

Also in real life you can set off an IED by shooting it with explosives such as 40mm from a grenade launcher, it has to be a direct hit though (I did it in Afghanistan).

One piece of input I have is the secondaries should be a separate trigger instead of just being delayed. They are used to get the responders moving to the victim.

I can tell you from experience that the blast is the same when it is a controlled detonation as when the victim sets it off.

Also in real life you can set off an IED by shooting it with explosives such as 40mm from a grenade launcher, it has to be a direct hit though (I did it in Afghanistan).

One piece of input I have is the secondaries should be a separate trigger instead of just being delayed. They are used to get the responders moving to the victim.

I can spawn a small item nearby the original explosion and create a secondary IED there. It will be hidden in the smoke, so nobody should be able to see it spawn in. It will be like playing those what is different games.

Here is an update on how the explosives detonation is going

Edited by brians200

We've been using this on our server for a while now, and I must say, this definitely makes public ops. more entertaining... thank you so much for this script! :D

Edited by aviax

are you using those models of buried artillery shell ieds recently released to the public?