Sign in to follow this  
NickThissen

Play without GPS, but with map?

Hi,

I would like to build a co-op mission where players have a map, but no GPS. What I mean by that is: they can look at the map (with M) but they cannot see their exact position (they'll have to figure it out by landmarks). I thought this was possible and I have seen video's where people are playing without GPS, but I cannot figure out how to do this. Even if I go into a regular mission and look at my inventory I cannot see any GPS. I can remove my map, but then I cannot see the map at all (with the message that it cannot connect to GPS), but I can't seem to play with a map but without GPS. Is it possible?

Copy and paste the bellow in your units to remove their gps

this unassignItem "ItemGPS";

this removeItem"ItemGPS";

This is quite good if your new to editing load outs: http://arma3tools.weebly.com/

Rember some vehicles have gps built in.

Hmm, even with those lines, I can still follow my position (and that of my squad mates) live on the map. I am talking about the blue dots on the map, is there no way to remove those? I just want to simulate a mission where players have just a paper map, no live update of your position but figure it out for yourself.

Edit:

The strange thing is, there is no GPS in the slot in my inventory (even if I leave out those lines), but if I put one there, there seems to be no difference. Is there anything that contains a GPS (weapons, clothes, ?? :S). I am using the FIA faction of blufor (so not the regular soldiers stocked to the neck with high tech gear).

Edited by NickThissen

i think if you set difficult to veteran, then no marker fo player in map..... i cant confirm right now...

Hmm you may be on to something, I've never touched those difficulty settings so I don't know what they do. Is there no way to play with the default settings but still remove the dot from the map?

to force the markers off ,maybe is related to those commands

setMarkerPosLocal [0,0];

setMarkerAlphaLocal 0;

but i cant help ....someone with more knowledge can ...

I did some attempts but still haven't got it.

On regular difficulty it does not matter if I have a GPS or not, I always see the blue dot at my own position, updated in real-time.

On Veteran difficulty (one up) it also does not matter, because I NEVER see the blue dot, even with GPS equipped...

What am I missing here?

or maybe this will help..

setGroupIconsVisible [false,false];//[show markers on map, show markers on player hud]

yeah put the skill level up in an mp game that will work.

Well no, it didn't. I got no blue dot with higher difficulty, but still no dot even when I picked up a gps item. Do I need to enable it or something? I put it in the GPS slot on the bottom of the inventory, pretty sure that's right?

you mean that you want the dots when you have gps and you dont want dots if you dont have gps???

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

maybe this command ????

friendlyTag = 1; // 0 or 1

this is for server config but i dont know if this working from a script for clientside.......

you mean that you want the dots when you have gps and you dont want dots if you dont have gps???

Yes, isn't that what the gps is supposed to do? If not, what's the purpose of the gps? I can't find any difference whether I use it or not.

maybe this command ????

this is for server config but i dont know if this working from a script for clientside.......

Will try thanks.