Sign in to follow this  
x3kj

O2 Export Scale / Hand position for guns

Hi guys,

does anybody know which scale setting i have to use in O2 when i export a .3ds and import it into max?

If i set it to 1000% it is too small. If i set it to 10000% it is too big. So this doesn't make sense, as 100% should give me a file in meter size if i set max to meters, except it it doesnt ...

I have max set to millimeters, but the max units dont seem to have any effect on the scale if i use "convert units" when importing in max.

I want to import the sample weapon in correct size, so that i can see where the hand positions (for the MX hand animation) are, so i can place my weapons correctly. I would like to know the exact location, because i hate trial and error sessions. Is there another way to get the location of the hands into the correct position in max? And maybe also for all other already available handweapons?

Would save me a lot of time.

i assume you set your display unit scale to meters. But what about system units? (3ds max that is)

I didnt know those where different till now :Oo: thanks for the heads up

It's propably default, so i guess it's dreaded inch ...

€: yep it was inch.

Ok good. What would be the easiest/best way to import the available handposition-models ?

Edit2:

Did a couple of test, even with system unit in mm, it does not scale correctly if i choose multiples of 10 for O2 export % and import it via max 3ds import with "convert units" option turned on.

It turns out that i had to import a .3ds with max, without "convert units" -.-"

Edited by Fennek

I didnt know those where different till now :Oo: thanks for the heads up

It's propably default, so i guess it's dreaded inch ...

€: yep it was inch.

Ok good. What would be the easiest/best way to import the available handposition-models ?

Edit2:

Did a couple of test, even with system unit in mm, it does not scale correctly if i choose multiples of 10 for O2 export % and import it via max 3ds import with "convert units" option turned on.

It turns out that i had to import a .3ds with max, without "convert units" -.-"

1. That is true, it needs to have convert units off. Problem is .3ds is a legacy format. one that, if you ask me, should be avoided like plague. And while that stands for most apps, O2 seems to love .3ds with a mouthful. I sort of understand there is no advanced option for export, but i don't get why there is no option for import. Anyways, i digress.

2. What do you mean by importing available handposition models?

There are handanimations for the different vanilla weapons, and as alot of weapons are similar in size to those vanilla weapons, i'd like to reuse those handanimations/ positions where possible. I'm talking about this line in the config:

handAnim[] = {"OFP2_ManSkeleton", "\A3\Weapons_F\Rifles\MX\data\Anim\MX_gl.rtm"};

However, since i can't import A3 models into O2 (i think), to see where the the grip& handguard sit, i don't know where i have to put the pivot of my weapon so it will show up correctly if i use the vanilla hand animation. I model scifi weapons, they can easily be adjusted to match existing weapons to save some time. Does that make sense?

Edited by Fennek

yeah i know what you mean now, though you wanted to export the handposition models (as a 3d mesh). Of the top of my head, since i haven't tried it:

1. load the rtm file into the character sample file, and export the entire thing. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Modding_Characters.

2. do the above, then place some sort of markers at the hand position and keep only those on export.

either way, what i believe you only need the position relative to character, correct?

EDIT1:

On a second thought, the rtms are binarized if i am not wrong about it

EDIT2:

In the pack there is a fbx file called: A2_animation_poses.fbx. It is a start, but then again the poses are from A2, not from A3.

Edited by PuFu

either way, what i believe you only need the position relative to character, correct?

Yes that's correct...

Hm, damn. Maybe BIS can show mercy and give us a file that shows the positions in their (hopefully) next Sample pack , together with boats and air vehicle samples.

Maybe because i would prefer to spend more time on building new weapons, instead of replicating the exact same animations that vanilla already has to offer?

Hitting this issue as well with Character exports from 3ds to O2 (Using the sample model).

I have my units / system both set to meters as suggested above, or as the import suggests...

File Unit Scale = 1 Millimeter

System Unit Scale = 1 Meter

yet when I open the model in O2 it is huge and the viewport gird is a small dot.

What option did you set in O2 Fennek?

Also I can't find any refernece to a convert units export option?

Could you be so good as to give some some details on your set up now?

Edited by shinkicker

In O2 to export in .3ds format you should get an export window titled "export 3DS properties". There is a Master scale (%) field. I set 1000 as value there.

In 3ds max i used millimeters both as system scale and file unit scale.

In max i go to Import-> .3ds and then uncheck "convert units". Then i have to scale it up by a factor of 100 to be the correct size. For max->O2 export you don't get a unit dialog in max. But on O2 import you get a Master scale setting (for me 1:1000), in your case this should be 1:1

I dislike meters as system unit, it is too imprecise when working on handweapons. Sometimes 2 points are apart, but have the same coordinates.

Edited by Fennek

Try to export using 3937 value (the Master Scale % value) and import using 1:1 ...