Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Gunner leg IK doesn't work?

I'm making a turret thing, and I was playing with the new IK stuff that lets you attach a character's hands and feet to animations. Can anyone one else (probably BIS) confirm that only the hands can be animated even though there are commands for the legs? Im talking about:

gunnerRightHandAnimName = "feet";

gunnerleftHandAnimName = "feet";

gunnerRightLegAnimName = "feet";

gunnerLeftLegAnimName = "feet";

When the animation "feet" is used, only the hands move.

sakura, a bit of topic-ishy, care to elaborate around the new IK stuff. I have a quick go myself, but i was either doing something wrong, or i didn't get how the system works in A3 (was trying to get a character hand to move together with some sort of crank.

What do you mean allows you to attach limbs to animations?

Well it seems very simple. You just define the animation that the hands are attached to, and then they move with that animation. The specified animation would be listed in the model.cfg and uses the actual name of the animation, not the source or model selection name. Just think of it as though the characters hands become part of the vehicle's 3d model, and the arms bend to match. Once you fully extend the arms the wrists will begin to stretch but the hands will still remain attached. The stretching only appears at the wrist. It didnt spend much time on it, but it should be possible to make a vehicle with the ability of the driver or gunner to move their hands dynamically around the cockpit, like clicking switches or levers without the need for animations. Actually, if the leg animations worked you could make custom driver and turret seating positions without custom animations. Could be very interesting although the legs dont seem to work.

Sakura, what does the config for the action (the .rtm animation) that you're assigning for this crew position look like?

I mean the bit defining the .rtm in \class CfgMovesMaleSdr\class States\ so that it can be used by the gunnerAction/driverAction etc. parameters in cfgVehicles

Does it include...?

leftLegIKCurve[] = {1};
rightLegIKCurve[] = {1};

In fact it does not, it was just the standard combat stance animation. It wasnt supposed to be a vehicle animation. That may help!

edit***

YES! that fixed it! Its working now. Strange, I looked through the animation config and there was no mention of the leg IKcurves, only place it was mentioned was in the .exe

Edited by Sakura_Chan

what type of vehicles did you try?

just a basic static turret. I assume it works in all vehicle types. The effect is actually quite good, the knees bend nicely without warping or weirdness.

Strange, I looked through the animation config and there was no mention of the leg IKcurves, only place it was mentioned was in the .exe

I think it only appears in the config of one animation at the moment - one of the Helicopter pilot crew anims IIRC.

Glad it worked.

My next suggestion would have been to check whether there was a "bone mask" parameter (e.g mask = "upperTorso") slipping in somewhere, but IIRC BIS only use them in gestures, not actions; so it'd be hard to accidentally inherit one.

Well it seems very simple. You just define the animation that the hands are attached to, and then they move with that animation. The specified animation would be listed in the model.cfg and uses the actual name of the animation, not the source or model selection name. Just think of it as though the characters hands become part of the vehicle's 3d model, and the arms bend to match. Once you fully extend the arms the wrists will begin to stretch but the hands will still remain attached. The stretching only appears at the wrist. It didnt spend much time on it, but it should be possible to make a vehicle with the ability of the driver or gunner to move their hands dynamically around the cockpit, like clicking switches or levers without the need for animations. Actually, if the leg animations worked you could make custom driver and turret seating positions without custom animations. Could be very interesting although the legs dont seem to work.

I am well aware what IK is :). I tried to use it for a custom weapon reload animation (the same way one would manually create one, using IK rather the other way around), as well as a changing gear lever, but never got it to work either of them. It might work only on a number of things out of the many, or it could just be me in the end

I think somebody wrote that reload gestures do use some sort of IK, but that it's in the same sort of IK that handanims use; whereby you pose the hands and move those manually per-keyframe in the .rtm, and the IK system sorts out the position of the joints between the hand and torso (wrist, elbow, shoulder etc.).

The "IK" (quotation marks because according to BIS, it's not IK in the proper sense) used for moving hands on steering wheels, foot pedals and various other interactions with vehicle models and their model.cfg is a rather different animal, and I'm not sure you can base it on weapons and their model.cfgs in the same way. I image it's strictly a class cfgVehicles kind of deal.

yeah i thought as much...but never got the quotation marks used by BI around IK to be a mark of half baked ik solution. my bad