Sign in to follow this  
GShock

Clipping issues

I am trying to answer to everyone, ProGamer.

ALL of the issues depending on clipping and LOS/LOF impossibilities have been dealt with and repeated hundreds of times.

Go back to #102 and read the list again.

They are just trying to divert the attention/discussion (which is over from my perspective. It's pointless to talk with people in state of denial of truth).

Well Ok I'll bite.... once more. But in truth I see this as fairly pointless, you seem to be unable to grasp otherwise simple concepts, which you regard as "unrealistic" but which in fact are very realistic. Please take some time to think abut the fact that you are defending views that only you hold, and which everyone else disagrees with, and not out of "denial of truth".

I'll address your points from #102, or at least the relevant ones.

Listen.

The video at the thread-opening message shows you clearly 2 things.

1) When crawling on higher ground, the AI below, at that distance, sees you and shoots at you before you can see it. When you crawl, you crawl with head front so if that AI sees your head, you should obviously be able to see it. Geometry 101: 2 dots connected by a line.

Several images have been shown to you that explain this. You're suggesting that sticking your head in sand means no-one can see you. Aside from those, consider this:

The AI know where you are, and will continue to fire even when they cannot directly see you. You have obviously given away your position, and if you resolutely refuse to move off you will be receiving bullets.

2) You further crawl ahead until you see the AI in the scope while the AI has been shooting at you all along.

You will notice that when the target is in the scope, your shots hit the ground (clipping/invisible obstruction/lack of visual cues <-- where 1 doesn't exclude the other).

Lack of visual cues is simply your lack of experience, you must appreciate that your rifle doesn't necessarily need to clip geometry for it to be still blocked by geometry. So getting a feel for the difference between your LoS and your LoF is simply a matter of getting used to it. You don't have 3D info on your 2D monitor so some adaption is necessary. This is the same for everyone. You can ameliorate this by having crosshairs on for a short while.

Now... That piece of ground which is obstructing that line of fire (but no longer the line of sight) stops your bullets but it doesn't stop the AI's bullets. How combat would take place in this situation can't be simulated at the current state of development of this engine. And a whole set of consequences is born after the clipping/obstruction and LOS problems:

According to your very own video - you're receiving bullets in your area, but you don't seem to be being hit. This should mean something to you, but it apparently does not. And in any case, ArmA models bullet penetration, this should also mean something.

3) Absent a system of auto-adaptive cover, where soldiers can use the environment with clearly restricted and visually cued firing arches, it is not possible to make a realistic use of cover. To make an example, close hatch and test firing out of towers.

It all starts from clipping but it doesn't end there.

Adaptive cover sounds to me like you wish the game to make it much easier for you to "snap to surface" of things you wish to hide behind yes? bear in mind these things:

Adaptive cover has been discussed before here, and is generally viewed as inappropriate. It takes control from you. Currently you have bucketloads of stances to choose from, plus you can move around in small increments. This gives you cover abilities, but again you have to learn how to use it. And it wouldn't help in cases of small holes like closed hatches etc, seeing as your LoS would be effected and we already know you can't fathom that.

All the other points from #102 are OT IMO.

Edited by DMarkwick

Ok, I think we've seen enough. This discussion has been going around in circles for 15 pages without producing any worthwhile insights.

The valid issues raised here are long known and have tickets on the feedback tracker. That should suffice.

Closing.