Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Immersion, a flicker of hope for Realism

Ok, I've been thinking... Arma 3 is no longer considered a mil sim, so I've heard. But it's not over, and people in this Community can help.

It all starts with my idea - A flicker of light.

*IMMERSION*

Remember games like Dayz, and Wasteland? They have their own crowd, fans, and dedicated players alike. People enjoy things like that. But now, i came up with an idea for a game. A mod. It is called Immersion. When you think of Immersion what do you think? What do feel it should be like? Well here is my solution. Immersion is a game mode, it will have to be launched via. Play with six much like Dayz, or by it's own launcher. It will have to consist of mods made you, the community, to a point that all content fits together like puzzle pieces making a master piece. Realistic Weapons, Vehicles, Factions, Sounds (most important), and things that make it a sim. For example, if there is to be CAS, it shouldn't be able to maneuver like an RC airplane. The basic model of this mode called Immersion, is what i would image to be simple war games hosted around Altis. Many factions can play at one time, or maybe a select few factions, all having sides, and alliances. It will have to be TvT (Team vs. Team), or even TvTvT. It will be organized, but it will have be fun as well, allowing freedom using all of the map, Atlis. This is my idea. I can use your help guys, i need you to give me your opinions of this, and how you can make it work.

- NOTE - This is only an Idea i thought out, and i would like to talk about it generally with people, including any community devs if possible.

It is still considered a Milsim by many.

The only reason the word authenticity is used now, is to allow a little artistic freedom for the artists and story line (This was said by the developers). Everything else is either building on being more realistic than Arma 2 or has not been adressed yet due to lack of resources or time. For people who want an extra hardcore game (99% of arma players) ACE exists. When ACE is released I can guarantee that finding a multiplayer server will require ACE to play.

More so to your thread, this is not the addon request forum. Google "ACE2 Arma 2" and check out that mod, it's exactly what you want.

Edited by ProGamer

Hmmm, good point. Maybe keep this as a back-up solution, just in case things to turn out the way we expect, or, possibly this could be something of a community project.

Ok, I've been thinking... Arma 3 is no longer considered a mil sim, so I've heard. But it's not over, and people in this Community can help.

It all starts with my idea - A flicker of light.

*IMMERSION*

Remember games like Dayz, and Wasteland? They have their own crowd, fans, and dedicated players alike. People enjoy things like that. But now, i came up with an idea for a game. A mod. It is called Immersion. When you think of Immersion what do you think? What do feel it should be like? Well here is my solution. Immersion is a game mode, it will have to be launched via. Play with six much like Dayz, or by it's own launcher. It will have to consist of mods made you, the community, to a point that all content fits together like puzzle pieces making a master piece. Realistic Weapons, Vehicles, Factions, Sounds (most important), and things that make it a sim. For example, if there is to be CAS, it shouldn't be able to maneuver like an RC airplane. The basic model of this mode called Immersion, is what i would image to be simple war games hosted around Altis. Many factions can play at one time, or maybe a select few factions, all having sides, and alliances. It will have to be TvT (Team vs. Team), or even TvTvT. It will be organized, but it will have be fun as well, allowing freedom using all of the map, Atlis. This is my idea. I can use your help guys, i need you to give me your opinions of this, and how you can make it work.

- NOTE - This is only an Idea i thought out, and i would like to talk about it generally with people, including any community devs if possible.

Your premise is demonstrably false i could post 6 pages of arma 3 mil sim groups. How much of a sim or game arma is. Is a matter of opinion.

When ACE is released I can guarantee that finding a multiplayer server will require ACE to play.

What do we get when you are proven wrong?

What do we get when you are proven wrong?

?

Most mods are waiting for the new BI Tools like Visitor 4 PE.

When ACE is released I can guarantee that finding a multiplayer server will require ACE to play.

I can also guarantee that most servers will not need ACE to play.

I can also guarantee that most servers will not need ACE to play.

Back in A2 when there were enough, vehicles, weapons and features to go around. An it had more of sim vibe back then without ACE. Now it does not.

Your premise is demonstrably false i could post 6 pages of arma 3 mil sim groups. How much of a sim or game arma is. Is a matter of opinion.

Yes, very much so an opinion. but one question for you, in your opinion, do you really believe enhancing that realism aspect is a bad thing?

?

Most mods are waiting for the new BI Tools like Visitor 4 PE.

What does that have to do with your gross exaggeration RE: the ubiquity of ACE?

Yes, very much so an opinion. but one question for you, in your opinion, do you really believe enhancing that realism aspect is a bad thing?
No. I want it all. I agree with nearly every idea to increase realism. DCS flight. Steel beasts armour. Most of the things asked for on the forum.

If some one does wasteland for mil sim i would play the fuck out of that. But you cant code pubbers. Even pr which tried very hard to code in incentives for team play didnt quiet work that well. As for wasteland it can be a nightmare but on the whole wasteland for a2 had lots of emergent combat and team play. I dont understand why some people think its just a cod like death match.

To make a server work together you need to attract team work mil sim oriented players. I think the only way to do that is have 5 - 10 players from your clan on all the time setting the tone of the server. So like minded people who work as a team will remember the server and will come back for more.

Even though wasteland had some good team work in a2. I am convinced that the pool of mil sim team work pubbers is much larger now then a2, there is alot less assholes and way more communication happening on the servers i am on. Lots of people using comms. Lots of people using direct, which i remember rarely happening in other arma's. Some of that could be down to altis. As it is huge, so people have more time to chat and fighting is more difficult due to the huge amount of cover and concelment. You cant just sit on a hill and win. I think dayz brought a huge boost in the number of people who are team work oriented.

Well, not every player has an appetite of realism immersion, most of them would only ask for a fun after a whole day's work in office.

I personally a hard-core fan for sim mil, and can't live with arma and dsc series. They both have own editors and an open world to let you ride freely.

I also play BF3, but had decided not to buy BF4. Because after goofing around its beta, I didn't see obvious difference from its predecessor. I might change my mind if EA would add an enditor into it, but that's just a fantasy.

Regarding to the ACE for ArmA3, I haven't see any clue it will come in near future, maybe never, because its several hardcore dev had left, so who knows.....

Well, not every player has an appetite of realism immersion, most of them would only ask for a fun after a whole day's work in office.

I personally a hard-core fan for sim mil, and can't live with arma and dsc series. They both have own editors and an open world to let you ride freely.

I also play BF3, but had decided not to buy BF4. Because after goofing around its beta, I didn't see obvious difference from its predecessor. I might change my mind if EA would add an enditor into it, but that's just a fantasy.

Regarding to the ACE for ArmA3, I haven't see any clue it will come in near future, maybe never, because its several hardcore dev had left, so who knows.....

There last statement was they were working on ACE 3. And large mods do take a lot of time.

An it had more of sim vibe back then without ACE. Now it does not.

Bullshit.

Or rather, yes, your irrational reaction to having less release content makes it have less of a sim vibe for you. But A3 is objectively more realistic than A2 by leaps and bounds. All these whiners just ignore all progress because their pet feature didn't get implemented.

Bullshit.

Or rather, yes, your irrational reaction to having less release content makes it have less of a sim vibe for you. But A3 is objectively more realistic than A2 by leaps and bounds. All these whiners just ignore all progress because their pet feature didn't get implemented.

Care to list the improvements to realism? Serious question, I don't have Arma 3.

Which is why this would be an addon, so that anyone interested will go through the process of getting it as apposed to those who are, not so much for Immersion.

Sooo... can I understand that because A3 no longer has M4s and AKs and Abrams tanks in it, it is no longer a mil sim? Becuase it doesn't have "enough" content of the right type/era, it no longer simulates military action?

Interesting...

Sooo... can I understand that because A3 no longer has M4s and AKs and Abrams tanks in it, it is no longer a mil sim? Becuase it doesn't have "enough" content of the right type/era, it no longer simulates military action?

Interesting...

I've noticed that for some, simulation means assets. For others, it's about emergent behaviors. I favour the latter :)

Care to list the improvements to realism? Serious question, I don't have Arma 3.

Stance system.

AI improving every day.

Non-penetrating hits don't damage AFVs.

No magic rangefinding with spacebar making sniper gameplay actually work.

Basic FCS for tanks (admittedly shitty, atm).

Penetration config miles ahead of A2 in terms of functionality.

More consistent ability to kill crew inside vehicles (with a limitation for drivers)

Body armor (still pretty basic, but extant and easily improved upon)

Component damage for tanks (see above)

Shooting out engine with anti-materiel rifles

Comprehensive range of artillery warheads

Rocket ballistics that make follow gravity!

Realistic HEAT explosions

Better level of 'eye zoom'

Camo works better (on the player's end)

Weapons can be modified

Scopes now halfway realistic

That's just the random stuff that came to me in the moment. I forget most of the main things that we learned about back in Alpha.

I've noticed that for some, simulation means assets. For others, it's about emergent behaviors. I favour the latter :)

3q3rgr.jpg

Why not every single thing :)

Aside from that, it's well known that BIS wish to move away from making the same things for every game. They wish to make new, fictional stuff for this one. Cue panic.

No, for some, simulation means 2000-2012...

How has this thread gotten to 3 pages with an OP that is practically nonsensical?

Because the only thing I can come close to deciphering is that he is describing a disastrously-run dedicated server without mod signature checks so everyone loads conflicting addons that break the game. Oh, and a launcher because Day Z did it?

Quite interesting how the milsim developed from an arcade shooter called Operation Flashpoint then ;).

It isn't about the weapons, it is all about what assets that the players will have to their disposal at the time. Being 2035, i am very sure that even though MX's have been adopted, doesn't mean that is all you will see 100%. There should be variety to what is used depending on the situation. You can look at Funker Videos on YouTube all day long and a ton of the weapons they use, will most likely continue to be used. M110's are going nowhere fast. Now of course, running around with a Lee En field is not something practical. But besides that point, the whole thing i am trying to get here, is a game mode created by the community, to be really immersive. Gameplay that includes variety for situations, and intensity that will make you want to duck down when things get real. Make you think on your feet, as a team, as well as in small squads working together for a common goal. But as i said before, it is simply an idea.