Sign in to follow this  
TAW_Yonose

Change emblem

Is it possible to change the USA flag emblem on the shoulder to Blufor soldiers, with another picture?

Yes, but you have to replace the whole texture.

this setObjectTexture [0, "textureName.paa"];

so, that would be like making a mod if im right? or will other people with standard Arma 3 still see the costum emblem?

No, you don't need a mod for it. Just use setObjectTexture. Put the texture file inside your mission folder.

Here's an example: click.

well that makes it easy, but where did you get the texture from? couldnt find it in the Arma 3 files.

well that makes it easy, but where did you get the texture from? couldnt find it in the Arma 3 files.

...Maybe because it's a custom texture? ;)

yea of course, but dident you have the original one, and just changed the colour ??? :eek:

The maker of this texture (I'd like to point out that I didn't create this) made this by editing the original texture file.

I can't seem to get this working.

this setObjectTexture [0, "\A3\Data_F\Flags\Flag_uno_CO.paa"];

The above Code causes the whole unit to be colored like a UN Flag. Every other index number would result in nothing, the unit stays as it is. Any advice? What am i missing?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

* Tested with standard BLUFOR rifleman and officer.

@IndeedPete

That's because 0 is the whole uniform texture. If you want to use UN flag in the uniforms, you have to unpbo certain file, convert certain paa file into jpg and then edit the texture.

Yup, I agree: this sucks. We have "NATO" forces but everyone is wearing US flag, and there's isn't a simple way to change it (it's many hundred kilobytes per nationality, and size matters when it comes to mission PBO's...)!

I know, i just hoped that a different index would mean a different part of the uniform...

But i don't really get what you're saying. I would have to unPBO the texture file for that uniform i want to change and then somehow replace the flag and then put the whole thing into my mission folder? I found a similiar thread a while back but that seems mod-based.

This really sucks, since according to what i read so far the game actually has the functionality to change certain parts of the uniforms, but it's not easily accessible. Why make it simple when you can do it the complicated way too? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Nevermind, i got it working! Does someone have any experience with image editing though? To make the flagpatch look more used/worn out, like the original? I have GIMP but no idea how to get that flag look "old".

2013-10-06_00001ooss7.jpg

And i noticed that there're flagpatches on some vests too. :j:

Thank you! That looks interesting but i have no intention to make complete re-textures yet. For now, i'm good with simply replacing the flagpatch. I guess i Just have to search the internetz for some plain "that's how you make stuff look like it's been in war"-Gimp tutorial.^^

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

[/color]Nevermind, i got it working! Does someone have any experience with image editing though? To make the flagpatch look more used/worn out, like the original? I have GIMP but no idea how to get that flag look "old".

http://abload.de/thumb/2013-10-06_00001ooss7.jpg

And i noticed that there're flagpatches on some vests too. :j:

Could you kindly give the code you used in the unit and what size jpg for the patch?

Thanks.

Do you think what you did to that truck can work with an Assault boat?

I'm trying to get a Chinese Naval Emblem on the side of a boat to give more immersion to the mission.

I've tried:

this setObjectTexture [1, "Images\chinastar.jpg"]

star_zps6f9d9249.jpg

Doesn't work. Changed # to 0, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Seems only to make certain parts and sides of the boat disappear.

Edited by Kommiekat

Frankly it's not a matter of code. You would have to re-texture the whole thing. Here's what i did:

1. Donwloaded some EU-Flag image.

2. dePBOed "characters_f.pbo" (Arma Dir/Addons), not sure if vehicles are stored in the same PBO though

3. Extracted "characters_f\a3\characters_f\BLUFOR\Data\clothing1_co.paa"

4. Used TexView2 from BI Tools 2.5 to convert the .paa into .png

5. Downsized and turned the downloaded flag from step 1 with Gimp 2

6. "Merged" the two images with Gimp 2, so that the EU-Flag covers the US-Flag

7. Used TexView2 to save the manipulated .png back to .paa

8. Put the .paa into mission folder ("images\clothing1_coMOD.paa")

9. Apllied re-texture to all BLUFOR units from init.sqf:

// Apply Flag-Patch Re-Texture
{
  if ((side _x) == West) then {
     _x setObjectTexture [0, "images\clothing1_coMOD.paa"];
  };
} forEach allUnits;

And that's what you can see in the image in my prior post. However, i would have to redo the steps in order to adjust pilot/crew/diver uniforms and some vests as well.

Edited by IndeedPete

Frankly it's not a matter of code. You would have to re-texture the whole thing. Here's what i did:

1. Donwloaded some EU-Flag image.

2. dePBOed "characters_f.pbo" (Arma Dir/Addons), not sure if vehicles are stored in the same PBO though

3. Extracted "characters_f\a3\characters_f\BLUFOR\Data\clothing1_co.paa"

4. Used TexView2 from BI Tools 2.5 to convert the .paa into .png

5. Downsized and turned the downloaded flag from step 1 with Gimp 2

6. "Merged" the two images with Gimp 2, so that the EU-Flag covers the US-Flag

7. Used TexView2 to save the manipulated .png back to .paa

8. Put the .paa into mission folder ("images\clothing1_coMOD.paa")

9. Apllied re-texture to all BLUFOR units from init.sqf:

// Apply Flag-Patch Re-Texture
{
  if ((side _x) == West) then {
     _x setObjectTexture [0, "images\clothing1_coMOD.paa"];
  };
} forEach allUnits;

And that's what you can see in the image in my prior post. However, i would have to redo the steps in order to adjust pilot/crew/diver uniforms and some vests as well.

Thank you for this! Truly appreciate it!

OK, I see. Seems like a lot of work just to get something on the side of an Opfor ship.

I'll see if there is a workaround for that.

Thanks for your reply!

Thank you for this! Truly appreciate it!

Nema problema! But keep in mind that this only covers the standard uniform. As i said, divers, pilots etc. would (if you use the code i posted) get the same camo uniforms. I don't mind if the pilot wears camo instead of simple green but that's just one little issue. Also these "armed-civie-resistance-guys" from the west side will be affected by the code sample. And camo really don't suit them. :)

And i lack the certain knowledge in photoshopping tomake it look more realistic. Now, they're running around with this big shiny blue patch on their arms. Not really good for the camouflage effect but it works. I will have to search for some tutorials on basic photoshopping...

OK, I see. Seems like a lot of work just to get something on the side of an Opfor ship.

I'll see if there is a workaround for that.

Well, it actually took like half an hour to 45 minutes, so not as much work as i expected. I spent the most time on getting the necessary tools installed. :rolleyes: But that's just the "scripting solution", according to this thread you could just play around with the config, thus results in a mod approach instead.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

I'm just playing with changing the flags on some vests. Does anybody know how to access a unit's vest and then change the texture? I tried:

(vest unit) setObjectTexture...

but this won't work. It just gives me some generic error in expression.

Edited by IndeedPete

Nema problema! But keep in mind that this only covers the standard uniform. As i said, divers, pilots etc. would (if you use the code i posted) get the same camo uniforms. I don't mind if the pilot wears camo instead of simple green but that's just one little issue. Also these "armed-civie-resistance-guys" from the west side will be affected by the code sample. And camo really don't suit them. :)

And i lack the certain knowledge in photoshopping tomake it look more realistic. Now, they're running around with this big shiny blue patch on their arms. Not really good for the camouflage effect but it works. I will have to search for some tutorials on basic photoshopping...

Well, it actually took like half an hour to 45 minutes, so not as much work as i expected. I spent the most time on getting the necessary tools installed. :rolleyes: But that's just the "scripting solution", according to this thread you could just play around with the config, thus results in a mod approach instead.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

I'm just playing with changing the flags on some vests. Does anybody know how to access a unit's vest and then change the texture? I tried:

How would I go about applying the new image to an entire squad? Is there something I can put in the init, or in the player init?

How would I go about applying the new image to an entire squad? Is there something I can put in the init, or in the player init?

Put this to the leaders init field:

{_x setObjectTexture [0, "mySexyOutfit.paa"];} forEach units group this;

I'm sorry to bump this, but has anyone an idead how to access vests (or later maybe even helmets)? Is this even possible at all?

Put this to the leaders init field:

{_x setObjectTexture [0, "mySexyOutfit.paa"];} forEach units group this;

Thank you! I will try this when I get home from work.