Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

spectator slots?

Is it possible to setup a dedicated spectator slot? Does arma3 support that or would one have to do it messy by having the slot force spectator mode after the game starts?

I'm looking for the same thing.

According to the Wiki:

It is also available on pre-defined playable slots for users who wish to observe a mission or even stream its progress.

I just don't know how to create or add these playable slots.

Edited by Ficc

Everything I've tried has failed in this regard and the documentation is weak regarding spectators.

I assume you just have a slot that will kill/delete the unit and force spect at the start?

That's so inelegant that I never considered doing it :)

Yes it is, but that's what Arma scripting is all about. Making simple things the hard way. :)

you could hide the unit in one Slot and then switch to a free Floating Cam with a script.

I assume you just have a slot that will kill/delete the unit and force spect at the start?

That's what i was thinking about. And how do we do that?

I was looking into this matter for some time and I think I have the solution now. It may not work with every mission, but on the simpler ones it works. I am no great expert in scripting, but at least the spectating works on my missions. If anyone has a better solution or more clean way of doing this, I'd love to see it.

Step 1 - create a playable civilian unit (or more if you want more spectators)

Step 2 - Set the respawn in description.ext in a following way:

respawn = 3;

respawnDelay = 6;

respawnTemplates[] = {"Base","Spectator"}; //set the templates for all units in the game

respawnOnStart = 0;

respawnTemplatesWest[] = {"Base"}; // both west and east soldiers (real players) will spawn normally on base markers
respawnTemplatesEast[] = {"Base"}; //both west and east soldiers (real players) will spawn normally on base markers
respawnTemplatesCiv[] = {"Spectator"}; // civilians (spectators) will automatically switch to spectator mode

Step 3 - At the start of the mission, respawn times are set accordingly to description.ext. Find a script that launches just after the mission start (any script) and add this line:

if ((side player) == civilian) then {setplayerrespawntime 9999999};

It will set the respawn time to a high value so that spectators can stay dead and spectate others. Others will still respawn normally on markers after 6 seconds.

So yes, spectator mode is actually a type of respawn.

I want to commentate multiplayer matches and tournaments and for that the spectator mode is a necessity. This works fine, if anyone has another solution, post it please. Hope this helps!

What about having a civilian slot where the unit spawns in a limited area and you just let them use the Splendid Camera?