Sign in to follow this  
mmaruda

A short list of stuff to fix to make this game really great

So there has been a lot of complaints on the board about Arma 3 and I can agree with most of them. Unfortunately fixing all the stuff people complain about is not possible. So maybe a short list of problems that when fixed would make this game near perfect gameplay-wise.

1. The new inventory system. It's better but far from good. What would be perfect? Something like Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 had with a clear visual system as to what is where. Currently in Arma 3 we only have a list of what's in the rig, pack or uniform. And seriously the ability to put mags or medkits in the uniform has to go. Did BIS even try to check if it's possible to put a 5.56 mag into a BDU pocket? Hint: it won't fit.

2. The new equipment customisation system is awesome. Why are there no loadout selection screens out of the box in this game? Do I really need to see everyone gathered around the Virtual Ammo Box each time a start a coop mission?

3. Visual damage system on vehicles. This mostly concerns tanks. In Arma 2 when you damaged a tank, you could clearly see it. There was smoke, the barrel of the gun was bent and such. Now you can shoot all you want at a T-100 and you won't even know if you have taken it out of action till it blows up (and that can take a lot of rounds). Just add some damage decals or something when you hit them and that should do it.

4. The medic system. Everyone knows about it... Simple fix: when you are hit, you start to see the effects we now have and if you don't bandage, you fall unconscious and only a medic can help you. If you bandage, you are still wounded and less effective but can still carry on. Only a medic should be able to fully heal you.

5. Add shotguns.

That's it. Five things to fix.

Not that I don't agree with those points, but you should add this after your thread title:

A short list of stuff to fix to make this game really great for ME

I personally don't care about the shotguns.

My short list of the really great A3 looks different.

Do you want me to open a new thread for it as well? ;)

2. The new equipment customisation system is awesome. Why are there no loadout selection screens out of the box in this game? Do I really need to see everyone gathered around the Virtual Ammo Box each time a start a coop mission?

There is a loadout selection screen out of the box (briefing).

Just want to mention, that I believe it is a big flaw astheticly that weapons displayed in the inventory appear as being too small.

I am guessing that the icons in Arma 3 are smaller than in Arma 2 but I might be wrong. In any case, it would be better I think making use of larger icons.

The closer the size of an image of an iconic item is to the same scale in which a player character handles equipment in game the better it is I would think.

For larger objects, instead of depicting a tank as a tiny icon, it might perhaps be better to show a close up (show a portion) of a tank with the same amount of pixels used in an image representing a tank for example.

Edited by Treehugger

There is a loadout selection screen out of the box (briefing).

I have yet to see a mission where you can actually customize anything in that section.

I do understand that this list seems to be just another one, and my personal preference, but to be honest, I just compared Arma 2 to Arma 3 and added stuff that Arma 3 is lacking with regards to its predecessor - that is why shotguns are there and bipods are not.

The inventory thing is just something common sense - BIS advertised it in almost every video pre-alpha and did not really do anything to show it off out of the box. The inventory in mission briefing sucks - you have to find it first, you have to figure how to script it in mission to actually work (maybe that's why there are no missions that use it?). No showcase mission or coop that came with the game takes advantage of one the major features.