H like in Helicopter

NATO nomenclature

Uh huh. Thats the Nato code system.

Examples

C = Cargo - Candid

F = Fighter - Fishbed

M = Misc/AEW - May

H = Helicopter Hind

Also, 1 sylable words are turbo props, while two sylable words are jets.

So, a 'Bear' is a turboprop bomber, whilst a 'Backfire' is a jet bomber!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Aug. 20 2002,21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uh huh. Thats the Nato code system.

Examples

C = Cargo - Candid

F = Fighter - Fishbed

M = Misc/AEW - May

H = Helicopter Hind

Also, 1 sylable words are turbo props, while two sylable words are jets.

So, a 'Bear' is a turboprop bomber, whilst a 'Backfire' is a jet bomber!<span id='postcolor'>

perfect , you know your lesson boy smile.gif

yes i know and A for attack and O for observation and finally T for training..... ok that could be the reason...i dont belive in it because there are so many helos which dont start with an H but it could be the reason

The 'A' and 'O' designations are for US aircraft prefixes.

A = Attack

F = Fighter

etc

NOTE : Its only the prefix, the actually name is chosen by the US.

F/A Hornet = Fighter/Attack aircraft - Called the Hornet!

The OPFOR don't get cool names, just generated ones usually.

The OPFOR system is the one I described in a earlier post. NATO use a different one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (B@ZOOkA @ Aug. 20 2002,21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes i know and A for attack and O for observation..... ok thats could be the reason<span id='postcolor'>

the nato designation of american and russian planes isn't the same totally the same

Yes, we use a different system as I said earlier. Otherwise the 'Hornet' would be a jet powered helicopter, used in a fighter and attack role!

Apparantly, the chopper was shot down,, they found a disgarded Missile launcher near the scene. wow.gifwow.gif

i think there are small differences in every (nato) country...but anyway .... dont understand why the call(ed) it homer.... if they wanted something with an H why didnt they call it hippo or something like that

ps: plz could anyone give us something more interesting to discuss about smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Aug. 20 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apparantly, the chopper was shot down,, they found a disgarded Missile launcher near the scene. wow.gif  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It is Chechnya. I dont think an empty missile tube in the middle of a war zone is hardly solid evidence

Edit: They dont call it the Hippo because the Mi17 is already designated the Hip. lol smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (B@ZOOkA @ Aug. 20 2002,16:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think there are small differences in every (nato) country...but anyway .... dont understand why the call(ed) it homer.... if they wanted something with an H why didnt they call it hippo or something like that

ps: plz could anyone give us something more interesting to discuss about smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Given that the chopper was named before the Simpson series was created, the name "Homer" is completely coincidental, although fitting for such an odd contraption.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Aug. 20 2002,16:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apparantly, the chopper was shot down,, they found a disgarded Missile launcher near the scene. wow.gifwow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....9;st=10

look veeery carefully biggrin.gif

The local news here in Los Angeles just showed a couple of seconds of footage from the crash of the chopper.

There were actually two clips shown, one showing the Mi-26 in a rapid forward descent with the right engine on fire and trying to flare before it disappears behind an apartment building and a big black cloud goes up.

The second clip showed a Chechen commander presenting a pistol to the rebel who shot down the chopper with the AA missile.

I'm trying to find an online version of the footage right now, but no luck so far.