Sign in to follow this  
GReeves

Should Our Group Switch Games?

Is it worth making the move from ARMA2 to ARMA3? Our little group is not a milsim group, but we always take missions with a tactical approach and use constant teamwork, so I'm worried about unrealistic elements in the new installment. Without ACE3, will this game be too arcade-ish?

Why don't you run a couple of small scale missions and see how it works out? It's hard for an outsider to make a judgement call when he/she is not accustomed to your play style.

Yes A3 might seem less involving since it's not A2+ACE, but since you are not a realism group, I don't see the problem. A3 is still as open as A2.

not mention that you can port many stuffs from A2 to A3 by using AiA mod (need to replace A2 units to A3, coz it is still bugged).

I'd say wait till the content patches are out and ACE3 is at least stable.

You have to do what's best for your members. We're evaluating the new game and the mods coming out for it on a daily basis.

Our challenge is a promise to our members of not sacrificing the nice blend of realism and enjoyable gameplay that we've perfected in the year plus we've been around.

Our overall plan of customizing what we'll use in Arma 3, our members growing enthusiasm for Arma 3 as well creating our own unique mods has us going over in the very near future.

If you're looking for something akin to Arma 2, Arma 3 brings a lot of new things to the table (responsive aiming, great movement and animations, great graphics and weapon handling for a start) but to get it near A2 you'll have to get a few mods. I'd reccommend switching, but at the same time there are some must have mods to make it worthwhile.

Firstly, ACRE (A compilation of ACRE and it's dependencies, CBA and JayArma3Lib are available here: http://murphy.im/dl/ACRE_TFT.zip) for the radio and communications, secondly TMR for weapon resting and bipods, JSRS for the sounds (though this isn't too necessary, the default gun sounds are actually very well done in A3, it's worth it for the bullet cracks and explosions), STHUD (naturally, for squad movement). Also, be sure to run any servers using the -nolog command, as join in progress errors are currently huge error logs on the server (like 10gb huge!).

Honestly Arma 3 is a very good sequel functionality wise, there's more goodness to come with it!

The way Bohemia have released and built this game looks to me like community development is a major feature for them and something they understand is highly important to the continued success of this game. The best single player content right now in arma 3 is most probably that which has been released by community. The engine is a big step up in terms of performance over Arma 2 yet doesn't seem drastically different for those who want to mod the game or create user content (except for perhaps being a little more accessible at times). I'd predict all the best mods making their way here eventually, so it shouldn't be a matter of IF you come to Arma 3, but WHEN...

I'd say wait a year or so. So they have some time to fix PhysX3_x86.dll crashes. Because if one of you are unlucky you will crash randomly for no known reason all the time without a known fix. Basically makes it unplayable.

OP, if its realism you want, stick with Arma 2..;)

That's modded A2 of course..

We've decided to wait for awhile. A2 serves our purposes just fine for the time being.

In which case I'd suggest keeping an eye out on Reddit for NouberNou for glimpses of the state of ACE3 development, since he seems to be the "public voice of ACE3" these days... or at least, the only ACE dev that I've been able to find speaking publicly on ACE3.