Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

I have an idea for a mission...

I am currently working on a new SP mission.

Basically, Nogova is deserted and you are the only person on the island, plus a few enemies and guides. It starts like an adventure, where you get mysterious clues and have to figure out what they mean. In other words, the first half hour you spend driving around a dark and rainy Nogova. If you understand the clues wrongly, then you spend driving around even more.

After driving around for half an hour, you start getting some action, which if you want to win it you have to play stealthily and this will take about 10 more minutes. Then you have to do some more driving and flying, shooting some more, until you finally fly to the end and get to do some real blasting.

Question is, this mission would likely take between 45 mins and 1.5 hours to complete. Would you play such a long mission? Would the story have to be very convincing (its not - its pure fantasy) to keep you glued in front of your screen? Or is it too long?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

I would play it, it would have to be thought out very well, so that ppl don't just go WTF?

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 16 2002,08:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question is, this mission would likely take between 45 mins and 1.5 hours to complete. Would you play such a long mission? Would the story have to be very convincing (its not - its pure fantasy) to keep you glued in front of your screen? Or is it too long?

Thanks in advance smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I love the missions that take that long. I'd gladly check it out wink.gif . As far as the story goes, all it has to do for me is make sense and be logical.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 16 2002,17:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you understand the clues wrongly, then you spend driving around even more.<span id='postcolor'>

Lol biggrin.gif Yeah, I think it's a nice idea. The mission time is good. Hey, you can always save. wink.gif But the mission has to be exciting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DestroyerX @ Aug. 16 2002,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, you can always save. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Which reminds me.... If you plan this to be a longer mission, you really should make a repeatable radio trigger that saves your game. Its just a bitch to only have one manual save in a really long mission where, if you die, you'd be set back by a lot and have to re do half the mission just to get back to where you were.

Hmmm, the mission, even though including conventional civilians and other infantry units, will be a tale about magic, disappearing people, fairys and wizards confused.gif

Still interested?

Yep, interested. I'm up for a bit of fantasy now. Working on too much reality can get tiresome after a while too. tounge.gif

Sounds good, if you can pull it off well smile.gif

RED

I still say go for it! Thats what OFP is all about: Making it whatever you want it to be smile.gif

And you are all willing to drive around for half an hour, Nogova at night with rain and thunder?

I am not kidding about 30 mins, I drove it from clue to clue (knowing where I had to go!wink.gif and it took me that long to get anywhere near a weapon and some action!!

If you misunderstand the clues, you will be going even longer...plus you don't have GPS confused.gif

Tell you what, I'll do a demo version and you guys tell me whether its too long or not, deal? Gimme a few days smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 16 2002,16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">at night with rain and thunder?<span id='postcolor'>

these conditions are a big plus for me smile.gif

Sounds interesting to me.

There's one thing, i would like to mention about:

You should create your mission as campaign,

with different follow up missions, depending

on wrong understood clues. You could let the

player drive e.g. into four different directions,

and once he's there (after a long ride), he'll hop

into the next mission. This way, you could prevent

the mission to be boring after several tries. Also,

you could make an intro instead of really long self

driving (if there won't happen anything important

during that ride), so that it could be skipped by

space-bar.

OK, this would then take a bit longer than only a few days,

but i think it would make it much more interesting.

You could make it much more interactive by using that way.

However, this is just my thinking, and the mission is yours,

so it's up to you, what you do with it smile.gif

Also try to create a good atmosphere, with flares shooting into the sky at places maybe? Sounds help alot to.

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DV Chris Death @ Aug. 17 2002,13:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds interesting to me.

There's one thing, i would like to mention about:

You should create your mission as campaign,

with different follow up missions, depending

on wrong understood clues. You could let the

player drive e.g. into four different directions,

and once he's there (after a long ride), he'll hop

into the next mission. This way, you could prevent

the mission to be boring after several tries. Also,

you could make an intro instead of really long self

driving (if there won't happen anything important

during that ride), so that it could be skipped by

space-bar.

OK, this would then take a bit longer than only a few days,

but i think it would make it much more interesting.

You could make it much more interactive by using that way.

However, this is just my thinking, and the mission is yours,

so it's up to you, what you do with it  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Even though that is a nice idea, it is kind of unworkable as the mission can only be solved if you manage to figure out the clues. They tell you where you have to go, and you have to figure out where that is. That's all, I'm afraid.

As for the long driving, the problem is that Nogova is HUGE and for the clues to work you have to drive a lot wink.gif Not saying much more here.

Red, sounds etc. will be used of course smile.gif

Ok, screw the demo mission, I'm gonna do the whole thing biggrin.gif

And the half hour of driving won't be just plain boring any more, it's gonna be quite cool wink.gif

sounds nice but i think peeps wont play for 1.5 hours. its to long. i would play like 5 min before i abort the mission.

I made a mission that took around 3 hours to do. I love long missions smile.gif

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RED @ Aug. 17 2002,11:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I made a mission that took around 3 hours to do. I love long missions smile.gif

RED<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly, my missions can take upto 6 hours, and that's in mutiplayer.

Yes people will drive around for a long time without cancelling.

Remember my Working Misison? Ex-Ronin You aborted the intro cuz you could not handle the length, but I have reports from ppl that say they saw the whole thing and liked it (E-mail).

So you have less patience than some other OFP fans!

I think when it takes a long time, a person gets more and more into the mission, their imagination starts up, and people just look for something to happen, and when it does it has a big effect.

I think that the mission sounds cool, just make sure you add some cool cutscenes, although it takes some time to make them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Aug. 16 2002,21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DestroyerX @ Aug. 16 2002,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, you can always save. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Which reminds me.... If you plan this to be a longer mission, you really should make a repeatable radio trigger that saves your game. Its just a bitch to only have one manual save in a really long mission where, if you die, you'd be set back by a lot and have to re do half the mission just to get back to where you were.<span id='postcolor'>

Left 'SHIFT' and ' - ' can help allot. biggrin.gif

Yep! Known that little trick for ages now. Very handy for more than one save.

Hold shift and press the "-" key together and type savegame.

Only thing is, you can get killed when typing it if your no careful.

Back to origional topic...

Long missions are great. I don't mind driving all over the place...quite enjoyable infact. wink.gif

Nice idea though. Looking forward to it! smile.gif

Waterman.