Sign in to follow this  
Boomotang

Arma 3 RAMDISK

I'm trying to get all of ARMA 3 running on a RAMDISK to see if it will fix some of the stuttering issues I'm having on Altis. I've never done it before, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The only tutorial for Arma 3 I found had it's youtube video removed. The rest are for Arma 2.

I have 32 GB RAM all available with Windows 7 Pro. So I'm using a trial version of Primo Ramdisk to create a 16 GB RAM drive. I copy the "Arma 3" folder from the steam apps common folder to the RAM drive. Then I just launch the game from the .exe in the RAM drive. It plays even when I rename and move the original "Arma 3" folder from the steam apps common folder, so I think it's working. But I'm not seeing much speed increase in loading screens, but I am usually running from an SSD so that may be why. Is there something else I should be doing to run it properly from the RAMDISK?

The stuttering is still there the same as before. It's the worst when flying fast (400 km/h+) over the eastern side of Altis. The weird part is that it seems to run smoother after I have flown over an area already, as if it's running smoother because it was loaded into RAM. But I thought I had EVERYTHING loaded into RAM? Or maybe the stuttering is more related to a CPU bottleneck? I don't know.

It runs smoother once objects have been cached in RAM/Video RAM.

Perhaps larger caches would help you? -maxmem and -maxvram parameters perhaps.

The Arma2 tutorials pretty much apply just as well Boomotang.

As you have so much RAM available, try putting all PBO files over 100kb on to your RamDisk and then create symbolic links. Here's another RamDisk tutorial based on Arma 2/DayZ - http://www.22ndsas.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=9205

The process of setting up a RamDisk is pretty much identical, you'll just be selecting different PBO files.

If you have Vista/Win7/8, click on the start button and type "resmon" into the search box. That will open up the Resource Monitor where you can look at your disk(s) and see what files are loaded and how fast the data xfer is to make sure it's working

Copy your addon folder to the ramdisk and use Link Shell Extension to create link junctions after you rename or move your /arma 3/addons folder somewhere else so the junctions are used and you don't lose all your data when you remove the ramdisk if you don't have a save feature.

Chances are though, you won't see much of a difference

The current problem I have observed with Altis at the moment is the amount of swapping going on between the system and video memory. Hard drive plays almost no roll in this. Once the textures are loaded (which is practically identical between a ramdisk and SSD), they are there for good. This is what is causing most if not all of my stuttering. Ramdisk made no difference there because everything is loaded into system memory. A3 seems to keep unloading textures from vmem regardless of vmem usage and texture settings. It also seems to lower texture setting automatically (from high to normal) especially on Altis when going near the cities, and never really comes close to maxing out my available vmem. While I only have 896MB, it usually only uses around 600-750.

Look at the memory usage graphs here to see what I mean:

1DCUPMS.png

Top graph is CPU usage, I had to stretch that to get it to line up with the GPU graphs below.

Next is FPS, red line is 30FPS, max is 60.

Third and fourth are video mem.

Bottom 2 are Gpu usage.

Edited by frag85

Edit: Don't mind this post

Edited by FrankHH
Wrong thread, damn