Sign in to follow this  
nanobot

[Suggestion] Hotkey for AI Group Quick Select + additonal AI control options

Just a easy suggestion, it would be nice if there was a hotkey to quick select a colored AI group, similiar to how most RTS games do group selections. Cntrl+1= RED group, Cntrl+2= GREEN group, etc.

It would also be very useful if some of the most common AI control actions could be accessed easily through the default AI menu (the menu you get when you select an AI or AI group - I don't know the specific name.) For example formations and postures.

In addition I prefer to use my mouse and wheel through options so it would be great if there was a way to simply navigate through the AI control menus without having to look at my keyboard or memorize what menu is what number. This would probably also make the AI control more accessible to newer players.

Aren't both of these features integrated? To select groups it is Shift or Crtl + F<numer> (i dont recall whats the right binding, try a bit around) and in the action/command menu you can scroll with your mouse wheel.

already in.

all selected units become a group when you press ctrl + F#, and are selected when you press shift + F#.

its normally covered in one of the command tutorials once they are in

Aren't both of these features integrated? To select groups it is Shift or Crtl + F<numer> (i dont recall whats the right binding, try a bit around) and in the action/command menu you can scroll with your mouse wheel.

I guess its shift + F<#>

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for the info. Its a bit of a reach for me on my keyboard though (luckily I have a G510 so I have extra keys that I can rebind.)

And enhancement would be to "fold" those grouped units into a single unit and maybe set a FT leader to micromanage those units, so you would control them like you do in the High Command.

In ArmA 1, when you grouped members of your squad into colored fire-teams, those fire-teams were displayed in the old spacebar menu. This also held true for members of your squad who were presently crewing a vehicle. That vehicle was then treated as a fire team on it's own.

So, when you pressed space bar your fire-teams and vehicles were selectable as a hot group from the first layer of the UI.

• Select RED Team
  • Select GREEN Team
  • Select BLUE team
  • BMP-2 (Ivan)
  • BRDM-ATG (Viktor)

It was quick to press spacebar and scroll to the group you wanted and issue the instruction to the group.

In ARMA 2 we introduce the context sensitive "Quick-command" menu system which replaced the old spacebar menu and lost the hot groups. Now you have to find your colored fire teams by navigating the scroll menu and vehicles are omitted altogether. The fire teams are buried under at least 3 layers of the UI which completely defeats the purpose of organization and "quick" command shortcuts. You have to open the menu with a hotkey, then scroll down and choose "TEAMS" then scroll down past "Assign Team" and choose "TEAMS" again, then scroll and pick your colored Fire-Team and then issue an actual command. How counter-intuitive compared to the old system.

It takes at least 4 clicks to get to your fire team now and then possible 2 more key presses to actually issue the desired command to the AI.

Old Spacebar system - 2-3 Clicks

New "Quick-Command" system - 4-7 clicks.

Edited by Spamurai

I guess its shift + F<#>

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for the info. Its a bit of a reach for me on my keyboard though (luckily I have a G510 so I have extra keys that I can rebind.)

Don't those keyboards have programable macros? If you have spare keys in your ARMA profile: 9-9-1 to select red team, 9-9-2 to select green, etc.

Don't those keyboards have programable macros? If you have spare keys in your ARMA profile: 9-9-1 to select red team, 9-9-2 to select green, etc.

or shift + f1 for red, green is f2 etc