Sign in to follow this  
Miroslaw Kowalski

What to keep in mind when modelling a plane for a mod.

Hello,

I want to make my own little plane (something like http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/52086 ) for ArmA 3. But i don't know what to keep in mind when modelling. As an example how to model the rudders and landing gear. Also what proxies do i have to use in oxygen2? I want to have a pilot, a copilot and 10 passengers.

Nobody know because A3 tools not out or Example Physx variation

you have to just follow a2 rules for now or do a A2 hack job with no real PhysX propeties that wont really look good but might pass for temporary fix

as for rudders etc its just common sesne to make sure moving parts are seperate Sections ( can be part of model but and to be named selection) to move along the axis they will under moving conditions

rotors wil be your fans in the Jet so they turn :)

Thank you :D I'll try it out :) Maybe I'll publish it when it's ready (I want to make a little military version of the example above).

So i tried it and everything is okay but the part of config writing is not so good because the config in the tutorial is for OFP. Mine looks like this but the Plane just isn't taking off it just starts the engines and plays the sound also the player gets inserted at my driver proxy but the first person view is at the origin of the plane. Can anyone help me? Thanks

sounds like you don't have a proper "view pilot", regarding the viewpoint.

Also, at this stage i recommend changing:

simulation = "airplanex";

to:

simulation = "airplane";

That will disable physx, which help you get airbone and going on with your projects. You can later (when you got more understanding of how it works) add physx back in.

I have a View Pilot. I just duplicated the 0.000 LoD for it. And now I finally know what the difference betwenn "airplane" and "airplanex" is :) thank you

I changed airplanex to airplane but now my plane isn't showing up any more...

That won't be the reason. What else did you change?

I don't know....i just restarted the whole thing by modelling another plane (i think i'll use this: http//friedenhq.org/?page_id=251 ). How should the single parts of the plane be named? Do I need the czech names?

No ideas? I think it would be really cool if someone makes a new tutorial for ArmA 3 or BIS publishes some .p3ds of their vehicles just for reference or something like this...

Tutorial?! Arma3 tools aren't even out yet ........

Do not need to name part Czech names if you have your own MODEL.CFG defining the skeleton and animations.

some of the issues you might be having regarding the pilot stuff has to do with proxies. Just make sure you have a correct proxy (i.e. one that still exists through all of these updates) and make sure you have your pilot's viewoptics definied as well, although that shouldnt have anything to do with the position, just fov and head rotation, but not having it still might present a problem.

as far as moving parts the basics will be these:

rotating wheels

rudder

ailerons

flaps

elevators

rotors (turbine fans, propellers)

then you can go as advanced as you want with retractable landing gear and all the parts associated with them, valor flaps, opening and closing canopies, and whatever else you can dream up!

You just have to build with your ultimate goal in mind. If you want to build something that is a simulators dream, youre obviously going to have more moving parts than something made for a training propeller plane. Start small or youll get frustrated, but small doesnt have to suck. pick something you want to do and boil it to the basics, you can always release updated versions with more features as you learn more.

The configs can get tricky in A3 with some new features, but so far nothing crazy. PM me if you need help :)

Thank you. At the moment I'm working on a ship for my clan but the plane is still there. If i'll get back to work on the plane and run into problems I'll definitely contact you :)