Sign in to follow this  
GReeves

Tips for building a community

Do any of you old ArmA veterans have some pointers for helping a new squad to grow? We have seven members after just two months of existence so I think we're doing quite well. I just feel overwhelmed by all of these "clone clans" that are constantly springing up -- it seems everyone is more interested in the same old mil sim stuff, and there are way too many groups supporting the same ideals, in my opinion.

I guess I'm just wondering if there are any things I could do to keep our little group running well and with a good player count.

I would say being able to offer a unique community that brings people in. Be inviting to public players, and have your members stay on task while playing, very few players want to join a community whose members want to fool around all the time.

Game Server: have a server that offers a map that the public wants to play, and consider having a second server that has a game-mode that your members want to play. Constantly update your public server, players want to see new and improved challenges frequently (one can only clear the same village with the same squad of AI defending it so many times before it gets old)

Be professional: As the leader, you are expected to be the one who sets the standards, and enforces your communities rules. If the public has to follow them, your members do too, so don't be afraid to lay down the line.

Don't give up: Even though its a slow start, your community will take off eventually. From personal experience, I know that a community can go from 2 founding members to over 100 with a little determination.

Hope this helps.

I would say being able to offer a unique community that brings people in. Be inviting to public players, and have your members stay on task while playing, very few players want to join a community whose members want to fool around all the time.

I set out from the beginning with the goal of not being like the other squads out there. We only recruit people who know how to have fun while being serious enough to get the job done.

Game Server: have a server that offers a map that the public wants to play, and consider having a second server that has a game-mode that your members want to play. Constantly update your public server, players want to see new and improved challenges frequently (one can only clear the same village with the same squad of AI defending it so many times before it gets old)

After our MSO is over, we're going to start a game server. We'll probably have some open game nights and some closed game nights.

Be professional: As the leader, you are expected to be the one who sets the standards, and enforces your communities rules. If the public has to follow them, your members do too, so don't be afraid to lay down the line.

Leave it to me to keep 'em under control :)

Don't give up: Even though its a slow start, your community will take off eventually. From personal experience, I know that a community can go from 2 founding members to over 100 with a little determination.

In an old Ghost Recon squad I ran, we only had three members after four months of recruiting so I've learned to handle slow progress. It's still hard though!

Thanks for the help.

You can also look at doing joint ops with other (small) communities.. this keeps things fresh and gives the opportunity to see how other groups function.

We do this ourselves and with a little planning it can be great!!

Also if you're interested we do MSO joint-ops (upto 32 players) - PM me for more details

We're already involved in an MSO until November, but thanks anyway.

Be professional: As the leader, you are expected to be the one who sets the standards

+100. I've recently seen a really clown clan where the leader almost gladly confessed to every single member that his views on how to behave was literally that he payed for the server, and thus he expected military levels of discipline and commitment, whilst he was entitled to acting like nothing short of a bully towards anyone he didn't like for some absurd reason. So essentially, make sure you don't drown in your "second life" (playing the game that is, and generally computer related enjoyment), and don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a real military, or similar enough to one that rank equals any actual authority and thereby respect. Respect and loyalty is something you earn from a community, regardless of how much money you spend on keeping it going. That is not to say that you as a community leader should expect to have no authority, but that you must realize that any authority you perceive yourself as having must be based on your behaviour towards the members of the community, as opposed to what you spend on things like servers.

I've been in plenty of groups with those kinds of leaders. Therefore, I've learned very quickly to avoid such behavior :)

Edited by GReeves

Smart move, the lesson of how not to behave is the only good one you can get in some clans.

Just an opinion, keeping the squad small is not a bad thing, just if all members are motivated. As a player, here is my opinion:

- Don´t fool around (and don´t allow others too), but don´t be so serious either. It´s just a game.

- Make a game play schedules, when you are going to gather and play for the next time.

- I hate tweaking and installing mods and stuff all the time. I want to keep it simple. I have to time to learn team speak or ACE, or other stuff. Unfortunately, Arma becomes more and more complex for avarage users. Me for example, I don´t want to use ACE, teamspeak or other programs. I want fast, simple and smooth gaming.

Learn teamspeak? What are you talking about? You just download it,instal, run a setupwizzard and use it.

As for ACE that require bit of learning, but it is worth it.

Yeah, without ACE I have to say the ARMA series would have lost my interest by now. Also having ACRE really makes communication much easier than the silly vanilla ARMA system.

In case anyone is interested, our community is doing well and we've gotten quite a few good members recently. Thanks for the advice everyone.