Sign in to follow this  
TSAndrey

Vehicles too slow offroad and uphill

Please, BI you need to increase vehicle offroad speed! This is just making vehicles unplayable! What's the purpose of an ATV when it goes 20km/h uphill and 35km/h offroad? The same goes for other vehicles...

Maybe in Chernarus where there were a lot of concrete roads you could avoid offroads (it was still horrible though), but in Stratis there are almost no concrete roads!

30 kph in rugged, hilly, rocky terrain is good speed. On flat ground, vehicles are too fast off road: all surfaces are treated as if made of concrete. There is no difference right now between road surfaces and offroad surfaces. The only thing that affects vehicle speed is steepness of hillsides.

Yeah, all vehicles should be faster uphill, there should also be a significant speed bonus when driving on roads. On road and off road speeds seems about the same now.

30 kph in rugged, hilly, rocky terrain is good speed. On flat ground, vehicles are too fast off road: all surfaces are treated as if made of concrete. There is no difference right now between road surfaces and offroad surfaces. The only thing that affects vehicle speed is steepness of hillsides.

I would not say that vehicles are too fast off the road. Which one you think of is too fast?

30 kph in rugged, hilly, rocky terrain is good speed.

Agreed on quote but; there are many places that are completely flat, ( some fields here and there ) yet vehicles are slow crawling through there like they were getting through mud

I know from experience that the marshall, while a little lazy going up a hill or when reversing, can go up to 60km/h in wooded terrain if you sacrifice a few trees up to 10cm thick (talking about soft and deformed ground with lots of undergrouth).

So yeah, up hill speeds are horribel and painful at the moment.

Urgh, oh, look, its this thread again...

Protip: vehicles are already TOO FAST when going uphill.

For reference:

An M1 Abrams will do 4 mph / 6.5 km/h up a 31 degree slope, and 17 mph / 27 km/h up a 5 degree slope.

An M998 HMMWV will do about 70 mph / 110 km/h on the flat, and only about 7 mph / 11 km/h on a 31 degree slope.

And I assure you, the hills on Stratis are all MUCH steeper than that...

For reference:

An M1 Abrams will do 4 mph / 6.5 km/h up a 31 degree slope, and 17 mph / 27 km/h up a 5 degree slope.

An M998 HMMWV will do about 70 mph / 110 km/h on the flat, and only about 7 mph / 11 km/h on a 31 degree slope.

Look at my post again, I'm mostly talking about offroads and ATV's. They are way too slow offroad and lose their purpose.

For reference:

what kind of humvee......

ATV's are to slow up the hills, I think they all can use a little buff.

The issue is the automatic transmission and very restrictive RPM limit. The engine values as in the torque and power output seem to be fine, there is lot of power but the transmission is literally choking the engine and it's easy to test.

Spawn Hunter vehicle and start to move up an incline from stand still, you will notice how the engine is fighting the gearing. Once it goes to ~2000 engine revs, it starts to move nicely and fluidly, till the transmission stick in another gear.

you got to hold the Nitro button down.

I think its SHIFT (Turbo)

Then you bump into a tree and loose all your wheels magically.

I never let go of the shift button ;)

Speaking of which, nevermind the damage, it's bit of a shame that whenever the front wheels are lost or damaged, the vehicle becomes entirely immobile. Most vehicles ingame are 4x4 and I pretty confident it would not mean game over if the driver wanted, never mind the further damage nor longevity of the vehicle.

Some vehicles do go slow. I have a mission where madrids attack the kamino coast and they get stuck going uphill in the sand. It's kind of good that sand can do that but Madrids are amphibious and should be a little more able to get a little faster in the sand. Or maybe not.