Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Maximum structure size?

Hi guys,

well, it looks like I've ran into a potential show stopper for me..! :(

Apparently, you can't have objects over 20 meters in any dimension, is that correct?

I've modelled a huge tall tower,about 60 meters high, with two floors and two ladders connecting them. I haven't actually added the ladder memory points yet, but when I spawn a unit 55 meters up and he lands on the top floor, he 95% of the time runs around it fine and bumps off the geolod etc.

But, sometime when I stop and turn on the spot he drops straight through the roadwaylod to his doom...

Could anyone please explain if this is linked to the 20 meter limit thing (Is that just for ARMA2, or can we have more in ARMA3?), or something else possibly?

The model is drawing visually fine, and the firelod is working all over correctly.

Someone mentioned to me that I'd have to go the proxy method route- does this entail JUST chopping up the roadway and geolods, NOTHING else..? If so, would it be a problem in regards the ladder memory points? I don't think it would if alls I have to chop up are the roadwaylod and geolods?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate anyone's experience on this- it's taken the wind out of my sails a bit...

cheers,

Marc

EDIT: Worth mentioning!!! I just reproduced this EXACT same bug/glitch on one of BISs radio towers too! I climbed the ladder up the tall one to the little platform about halfway up it, then walked for a bit and just fell through the floor..!?!?!?

Also glitched through the floor of one of those little green lookout posts, top floor, I fell out the corner..!?

Why would that be please?

Edited by meshcarver

Yea actually we are talking about this exact same thing in the o2 Skype channel.

You can divide your model up into sections that are smaller than 20meters and put them together in pieces in v3.

I actually made a large suspension bridge and that's what I had to do as well.

That's quite disappointing as I always wished there would be two story buildings in arma, if not for AI to at least have them supported for MP events and PvP games. Hopefully BI can look at it at some point.

Good luck though!

...well, I've got it working to all intents and purposes now.

I just made the geolods thicker and extruded the roadwaylod out a bit more. If this is working, as in, I'm not falling thru the floor etc then does that mean we can have structures larger than 20 meters no issues?

Or are there other consequences..?

Just some notes to roadway and geometry...

Geometry components have to be under the roadway faces to avoid any problems.

With structures size, All p3d should contain models smaller then 50 meters.

To achieve bigger model you have to separate them into more p3ds and use memory points for snaping in visitor.

Redstone, if I have a tower 45 meters tall in O2, is it ok if its base is ay 0,0,0 and the top is at 0,0,45..?

Or do I have to "lower" the whole object so its base is in the negative location?

Is it ok if it goes outside the 25*25 meter grid I mean...

Do you understand?

There's no reason to set buildings' bottom to the 0,0,0. Our buildings are made for the following use. At the 0,0,0 is model put on to the terrain in visitor, so we have some "bottom" part which is under the ground(0 in Y axis), so you can use it in slopes or in any rugged terrain.

Preview image which describe that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129498485/hotel_p3d.jpg (150 kB)

Hi again and thanks for the swift response.

I meant that if I make a tall 45 meter tower, and its bottom is at 0,0,0 with a 2 meter under terrain bit, then the top will go out of the grid, as it's a grid only 25 meters in size in any direction... So in effect the top of the tower will be outside the grid.

Do you get me mate?

The grid in the o2 isn't important,just dimensions of the objects. So if you have object like you describing, there should not be any problem with that.

Ahhhh, thanks for clearing that one up..!

There was some confusion about it, even in the skype modellng channel..!

Could/ should this thread be stickied or the info on maximum geometrical dimensions and restrictions put up in the wiki/ O2 forum sticky quides? Might help with other large model makers to debug GEO lod problems. I myself have been struggling with a large 80x80 hangar building as I remembered someone saying bigger geometries were possible but just could not get it to work.

Anyway since I got a another "building" thats almost 1000 meters long, it will be fun to cut it into 45x45 pieces.