Sign in to follow this  
Beaudidly

Best way to get into Arma 3 from no previous experience?

I played DayZ a lot last year and I saw the release of Arma 3 this year. I've been trying to get into Arma 3 but I don't know where to go. I try to go into servers but its all confusing and I have 0 idea of what I am doing. If anyone can help me out that would be fantastic!

Majority of public servers contain nothing but chaos. I recommend tagging along with various reputable communities, but it all depends on how you would like to play. A list of groups can be found here, from my experience it's better to avoid those which use the names of real life military units, and/or contain "tacticaool realism" or "mature" in the title.

ArmA become special when you play it with people with the same mindset as you, be it coop, pvp, tactical or not. Public games are hardly an option, sadly.

For groups\clans go here, more specific, here.

Doubts about the game? Feel free to ask!

Try a 'Team death match' server for tvt.

Simple meeting engagements. Easy to figure out. Just follow your team-mates towards the sound of gun fire.

For coop, people seem helpful to new guys on Domination servers.

Avoid teamkilling, the rest will come.

Beaudidly, look for me on steam...my user is the same. I've been playing Arma since 2001 and know a lot about the game. I play a lot of PVP/Capture the Island and can guide you through all of it via voice while ingame. If you can master PVP/CTI you can master any other game mode. Find me, i'll hook you up.

Edited by SpanishSurfer

I too have this same issue Beaudidly! I really love the game and how it is made, its perfect! I love my tactical games and for me the most tactical game I have played until this was Ghost Recon Future Soldier! I really want to love this game and play it well but at the moment I find that hard because I have no clue on what to do! Is there a way to set waypoints? I think that would be very helpful! @SpanishSurfer could I add you also?

Hop on my server in sig been playin since Alpha an started back in 01 with OFP hav'nt stopped since. try the infantry showcase to get a feel than when your comptorble with that an controls bump it up to mp, i'd say coop first but AI are bit difficult atm might not be a pleasnt experience. Hav'nt played TVT for arma in a long time cept back in ArmA1 days. An yes finding a grp is a good way too.

I too have this same issue Beaudidly! I really love the game and how it is made, its perfect! I love my tactical games and for me the most tactical game I have played until this was Ghost Recon Future Soldier! I really want to love this game and play it well but at the moment I find that hard because I have no clue on what to do! Is there a way to set waypoints? I think that would be very helpful! @SpanishSurfer could I add you also?

You have a TG tag as an avatar. Perhaps try the community you're in? They're big A2 buffs.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault/

Shift+Lmb will place a marker on your map.

Sure go ahead and add me, anyone can.

If any of you newbies would like to get together & just try to learn the game & figure things out together, look for me as CARNOLD on Steam.

I too am a newbie & am finding myself a bit overwhelmed. I have a TeamSpeak channel that we could use if needed.

I live in the U.S. and speak English. My timezone is EST. I am a 40 year old casual player although I try to get on almost everyday for a bit.