Sign in to follow this  
Fa11en

Auto-Save in Editor

The title really says it all, what about implementing a Auto-Save feature you can turn on/off in the editor that will automatically save your progress in case your game crashes or PC shuts down ETC. Most word processing apps have this and email programs etc. It makes sense really because my friend just lost a mission that he had been working on all day because his game crashed and he had not saved for a long time.

You always got to remember to save every so often, this is for making pretty much anything on a computer in general.

An autosave function wouldn't be an awful idea.

I don't know, what if you made a mistake in the editor and it autosaves before you could close it and reload it?

I don't know, what if you made a mistake in the editor and it autosaves before you could close it and reload it?

Then you have your regular save to fall back on - Autosaves are (almost) always separate from your own saves. They serve as a backup in case of crashes or accidental overwriting by yourself.

or it numbers autosaves differently, you could have settings for all of this

It's a golden rule to always Ctrl+S every time you finish something. I've never got a problem with this problem. Just remember to Ctrl+S regularly then you won't need an autosave function in your computer life anymore.

I have to say it'd be a nice feature but I constantly save my missions anyway so I'm not sure if I'd actually use it.

I'm pretty hopeless at remembering to save when making missions. It's usually not an issue unless ARMA is being particularly temperamental and decides to crash on rare occasion. An auto save would be handy.

A couple times now I've lost a few hours worth of work in Arma 2, so I would also support this idea.

or even if it says "are you sure you want to close, there is unsaved progress bla bla bla bla"

On 6/29/2013 at 10:40 AM, Kieran said:

SPOT ON!   I agree.   I have a mission design that I worked on for almost 3 weeks and I manually save my progress every 30 minutes or so as I pass benchmarks. I got burned by "autosave" because I heard the "beep" and text notice that it "auto saved". The problem is that I was in a "in-between" state of changing some things. Because the file save was done in that mental, transitory state, I had no way to know the exact status of what was saved and what I had just changed  2 seconds before the auto-save.  I now have two complex mission files that EDEN will not load. EDEN crashes when I try to load the latest "auto-saved" versions. It's hard to explain but auto-save is great for word-processors because it's easy to plainly see what was missed or not.  This is not the case here and IMHO, auto-save is not for the serious designers.  Laziness has its penalties, I have learned the hard way.