Sign in to follow this  
KeeperHET

Favorite composer

Who is your favorite classical composer?confused.gif

Mine has got to be Richard Wagner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeeperHET @ July 31 2002,19:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who is your favorite classical composer?confused.gif

Mine has got to be Richard Wagner.<span id='postcolor'>

I like Wagner, but I'm also a lover of Beethoven, Handel, Rachmaninov, Grieg, Mozart, and most of all Bach.

I like oters too, but those are my favorites.

Bach has always been my number one. Other composers that I like include Stamiz, Schubert, Schumann, Mozart, Peroglesi, Rameau,Telemann, Prokofiev and Stravisnki.

What I don't like too much is the romantic period, especially Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Mahler and Dvorak.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,20:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I don't like too much is the romantic period, especially Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Mahler and Dvorak.<span id='postcolor'>

I like all of those, I'm a big lover of the Barock though.

As boring as it may be, I love Beethoven. Ode to Joy is perhaps one of the finest compositions in all of music. It is very uplifting...especially since it came from a fellow who wasnt exactly the most pleasant fellow. Mozart is also nice smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 31 2002,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As boring as it may be, I love Beethoven.  Ode to Joy is perhaps one of the finest compositions in all of music.  It is very uplifting...especially since it came from a fellow who wasnt exactly the most pleasant fellow.  Mozart is also nice smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes the 9th symphony is sublime.

I am not too fond of Beethoven's symphonies but I do like his string quartets very much. His piano concertos are not too bad either, but IMO still a level under Mozart's. Beethoven's chello sonatas are also great IMO.

i like song-by-song basis, but if I have to list composer-wise, without any specific order;

Bach(J.S.)

Beethoven(even took a college class...and failed tounge.gif )

Mozart

and a little bit of Tchaikovski

Handel

I wanna try some Schubert's work when I get the time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not too fond of Beethoven's symphonies but I do like his string quartets very much. His piano concertos are not too bad either, but IMO still a level under Mozart's. Beethoven's chello sonatas are also great IMO.<span id='postcolor'>

Lol! We don't agree on anything! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not too fond of Beethoven's symphonies but I do like his string quartets very much. His piano concertos are not too bad either, but IMO still a level under Mozart's. Beethoven's chello sonatas are also great IMO.<span id='postcolor'>

it's because Beethoven had too much of an attitude. He was supposed to 'Receive spirit of Mozart through Heiden's hands' but Beethoven's lack of social skills crippled his relationship with Heiden, and Beethoven had to learn mostly by himself.

and for those who saw 'Immortal Beloved' and think his imortal beloved was the one who married his little brother, it has been shown that it was false. it's actually a married woman whom Beethoven aquainted when she stayed in Vienna to get rid of her homesickness.(forgot her name though)

Besides Mozart it's a toss up between Bartok as featured in The Shining or Barber as featured in Platoon.

I'm hoping (hopping, whatever) that all of you have heard Nobuo Uematsu's (composed just about all of the music for ALL of the Final Fantasy Games) orchestrated version of the final fantasy opera....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Aug. 01 2002,01:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I couldn`t care less about any of those tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Who do you like?

it's not that i don't like classical music , but i don't know shit about it

i like the barber's adagio for the string and some other stuffs i don't even remember the name

I personaly don't listen to classical music but I sure can appreciate what those guys did. And to think many of them died poor (as far as I know)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ Aug. 01 2002,04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I personaly don't listen to classical music but I sure can appreciate what those guys did. And to think many of them died poor (as far as I know)<span id='postcolor'>

yes...it wasn't until after Beethoven's time that successful composers were able to live financially freely.

most musicians were considered as servants of aristocrats and had to dress like one. sad.gif

It's hard to say who's my favourite composer. It depends so much on the mood what I want to listen to. But Wagner, Vivaldi, Grieg, Philip Glass, and this one modern composer whose name I can't remember right now are the ones who popped in my mind right now.

Mozart has never been in my favourite list.

Favourite composer: me!

smile.gif

Well I haven't composed much classical music.. except some pieces with

acoustic guitar..

In the comic "Calvin & Hobbes" there was a funny story about those

genius-composers like those mentioned here.

Calvin read from some book that Beethoven wrote his first symphony

at the age of 5. Calvin said that

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"At that age, I practised using the water toilet."<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

With out a doubt my favorie is Dimirti Shostakovich for symphonies and just about everything else.

Mozart for Opera's

Once again i find that nobody ever mentions Shostakovich?

Phil Glass is also one of my favorites as well.

Of course i love just about everything except Mahler.

Cheers

I tend to go through fases, where I listen to one composer a lot, but those that hang around most of the time are:

Schubert, Bach, Beethoven, Prokoffiev, Stravinsky, Mozart, Webern, Ravel and Carl Nielsen.

As a point of interest let me mention I start studying to be a conductor in three weeks.

Simply Beethoven! I have heard others, they are good, but they dont hold my interest. Thing is, I only like the 5th. I like it all! Whenever I hear it I just want to go and conquer soemthing!(Well, the first song). the music is done so presise. Paratrooper old man, I have to disagree of the 9th. I heard if for a few mintutes and stopped.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Aug. 02 2002,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Paratrooper old man, I have to disagree of the 9th. I heard if for a few mintutes and stopped.<span id='postcolor'>

Then you haven't heard it! Listen to it all!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Simply Beethoven! I have heard others, they are good, but they dont hold my interest. Thing is, I only like the 5th. I like it all! Whenever I hear it I just want to go and conquer soemthing!(Well, the first song). the music is done so presise. Paratrooper old man, I have to disagree of the 9th. I heard if for a few mintutes and stopped. <span id='postcolor'>

Aargh! Listen to the whole deal. Listen to the seventh also, I'm convinced you'll like it if you like the 5.

And if you want music to conquer to, try some Shostakovitch (5. or 7. symphony), Tschaikovsky 4. symphony, Mosolov "Iron Foundry" (if you cam find it) or best choice: Prokoffiev: "Scythian Suite"...the list is endless.