Sign in to follow this  
xmurderx

Question on american installation names

my girlfreind and I got into an argument tonight over weather american bases were named differently or not. I say that every base has a different name, no two bases are named alike, yet she says that there has to be some that are named the same. I go under the defense that the goverment is organized enough to call each base something else. does anyone know what the truth is?

AFAIK, US military bases are named after dead officers, who died in loud, grotesque military manner in any of our nations wars, or for that matter, in peace time. For example, the USAF named Edwards AFB after a test pilot that bought it while flying planes out there when it was still just called Miramar. The US Army has Forts Bragg and Hood, named after Generals Braxton Bragg and John Bell Hood, both officers in the US Army and the Confederate Army. The US Navy is an exception I believe, as most of their bases are simply named after the city they are in (They did however have a class of heavy cruisers during WW2 called the dead admiral class because of the names given to the ships). So, I suppose there may be a few bases named the same, but if they are, it is only because there are 2 dead officers of the same name who the pentagon felt were worthy of a base named after them.

Most every U.S. post is named after a famous military leader. I believe no two are the same.

Some examples:

Ft. Carson, CO

Ft. Benning, GA

Ft. Gordon, GA

Ft. McPhearson, GA

Hunter Army Airfield, GA

Ft. Bragg, NC

Ft. Campbell, KY

Ft. Wainwright, AK

Ft. Richardson, AK

Ft. Drum, NY

Ft. Huachuca, AZ

Ft. Bliss, TX

Ft. Sam Houston, TX

Ft. Hood, TX

Ft. Sill, OK

Ft. Leonard Wood, MO

Ft. Riley, KS

Ft. Knox. KY

Scholfield Barracks, HI

Ft. Jackson, SC

Ft. Lee, VA

Ft. A.P. Hill, VA

Ft. Belvior, VA

Ft. Meyer, VA

Ft. Monroe, VA

Ft. Eustis, VA

Ft. Meade, MD

Ft. McClellan, AL

Ft. Rucker, AL

Ft. McCoy, WI

Ft. Detrick, MA

Ft. Dix, NJ

Ft. Monmouth, NJ

Ft. McNair, DC

Ft. Polk, LA

Just off the top of my head.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ July 30 2002,08:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is AFAIK?<span id='postcolor'>

as far as i know, AFAIK means "as far as i know"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 30 2002,08:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example, the USAF named Edwards AFB after a test pilot that bought it while flying planes out there when it was still just called Miramar.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, Mirimar is closer to San Diego. YOu are thinking of Muroc biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 30 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 30 2002,08wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example, the USAF named Edwards AFB after a test pilot that bought it while flying planes out there when it was still just called Miramar.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, Mirimar is closer to San Diego.  YOu are thinking of Muroc biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, the Miramar lake beds are out in Nevada. Thats where They flew all the X aircraft, and where Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. So, I am right- still smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 30 2002,22:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 30 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 30 2002,08wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example, the USAF named Edwards AFB after a test pilot that bought it while flying planes out there when it was still just called Miramar.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, Mirimar is closer to San Diego.  YOu are thinking of Muroc <!--emo&biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, the Miramar lake beds are out in Nevada. Thats where They flew all the X aircraft, and where Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. So, I am right- still  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Muroc

NAS Miramar, in San Diego, is where they hold Top Gun.

Repeat after me: Warin is right, I am wrong. I will never argue with Warin again. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 30 2002,23:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 30 2002,22:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 30 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 30 2002,08wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example, the USAF named Edwards AFB after a test pilot that bought it while flying planes out there when it was still just called Miramar.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, Mirimar is closer to San Diego.  YOu are thinking of Muroc <!--emo&biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, the Miramar lake beds are out in Nevada. Thats where They flew all the X aircraft, and where Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. So, I am right- still  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Muroc

NAS Miramar, in San Diego, is where they hold Top Gun.

Repeat after me: Warin is right, I am wrong. I will never argue with Warin again. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

didn't the top guns move to the NAS Fallon ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 31 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">didn't the top guns move to the NAS Fallon ?<span id='postcolor'>

That's quite possible smile.gif

I am still pointing out to Tex that Miramar is not in Nevada. Neither is Edwards. It's in California.

Fallon is in Nevada though smile.gif

yes , fallon is in nevada , but miramar is in california

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NAS Miramar, in San Diego, is where they hold Top Gun.<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Repeat after me: Warin is right, I am wrong. I will never argue with Warin again<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 31 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes , fallon is in nevada , but miramar is in california

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NAS Miramar, in San Diego, is where they hold Top Gun.<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Repeat after me: Warin is right, I am wrong. I will never argue with Warin again<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif

wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

San Diego is in California. wink.gif

Miramar used to be the home of Top Gun. For all I know it still is. Mebbe if we have a swabby around here they can pipe up smile.gif

Or are they all too busy doing something else. biggrin.gif

Fallon is used for training.

Mirimar is used for Top Gun, and for Basic Air-Combat training. (According to a book "Bogeys and Bandits, the making of a fighter pilot")

I don't believe "Naval Aviators' Fighter Weapons School" (I think) is located in Miramar anymore. I believe marines now occupy that installation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Aug. 01 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't believe "Naval Aviators' Fighter Weapons School" (I think) is located in Miramar anymore.  I believe marines now occupy that installation.<span id='postcolor'>

Considering I cant find NAS Mirimar on the Navy website, I think you are right biggrin.gif

But it is Marine Corp base now.

about Edwards AFB.

i went there about a 2 yrs ago to see their NASA facility tour. and here are some things i can tell.

it's north of LA county, about 100 miles up north. if you can locate Barstow(lsat CA city before going into Las Vegas), its right west of there.

it is MIDDLE of desert, and the day I went, it was great weather since clouds were above us. so it was only 110 degrees high.

the AFB is guarded by Marines. maybe i'm wrong here, but i think it was marines, in the middle of nowhere, where water is not available in abundance. anyway, they were wearing long sleeves..poor guys.

while I was taking NASA tour, I saw a black hawk landing, and boy, that was a pretty fast landing.

the NASA facility was used as a scene in TV show 'I dream of Jeenie'. also they have that frontal wing(?) aircraft(that experimental one) with Elf in the pilot seat. they said Elf came with it and was put in like that for display now that they don't fly it anymore.

to visit, you have to make reservations 1 week(or month..i forgot) if you are not a US citizen, and if you are an US citiznen 1day(or week).

there are 2 tours. one is for the base and the other is NASA facility.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 01 2002,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Aug. 01 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't believe "Naval Aviators' Fighter Weapons School" (I think) is located in Miramar anymore.  I believe marines now occupy that installation.<span id='postcolor'>

Considering I cant find NAS Mirimar on the Navy website, I think you are right biggrin.gif

But it is Marine Corp base now.<span id='postcolor'>

The Navy let down their guard. We're going for Ft. Bragg next.

Semper Fi