Sign in to follow this  
byku

Keeping Alpha as a steam gift

Hey there, what will happen if I will buy alpha as a steam gift, but i will keep it until the beta/final arrival? Will it also change in my gift inventory or it will change after giving it to a friend? I want to buy it for a friend :P, but he is not exactly sure if he wants to buy arma :p. So I will keep it until I will convince him ;].

Edited by Byku

Why not just give it him, and then the game will convince him while he's playing it with you ;)

Based on this from SITREP #00011:

The Arma 3 Beta will be using the exact same application on Steam as the Arma 3 Alpha (Lite will be discontinued as previously announced). There will not be a need to re-install or install a different game (but the update is going to be hefty in size).
It seems like you can just send your friend Arma 3 as a Steam Gift at any time and then they would simply be downloading whatever is the current version at the time that they choose to install.

the dead horse states that you are not paying for alpha you are merely PREORDERING the full game and being granted alpha access depending on which version you purchased.

The thing is that it doesn't work like a regular Steam preorder because of the immediate unlock...

The thing is that it doesn't work like a regular Steam preorder because of the immediate unlock...

Because it's not a preorder. You're buying the application, you can store it in your inventory as like any other Steam game and give/trade whenever. Only if BI changes the application itself, which they stated they won't do, can it cause a problem.

Even from what was said, if I was in Byku's position, I'd still like a developer's statement on the matter, just in case.