Sign in to follow this  
drakedaeron

Better optimisation at release ?

Hello !

Do you think that the graphic optimization is going to be improved?

I am always so sad to see to what extent my I7 is forced to kneel down by ArmA (2 and 3). I also wondered if he will "be less heavy" diagrammatically to the release ? (Sometimes I have superior performances with the AA in town, but in forest I am forced to activated the SMAA otherwise I have losses of FPS from 2 to 3 fps)

Good regards.

Optimisation is an ongoing and never-ending process, so yeah there will be changes :)

Generally speaking, an Alpha version of a game is not where most of the optimisation has taken place ;)

Also remember that you have a lot of power to influence performance by the amount of settings given to you for adjustment. By putting some things down, you can still get a visually satisfying experience as well as good framerates. E.g. viewdistance makes a big difference!

If You are loosing fps due to AA, then your gpu might be the problem, not the cpu.

Optimization is a delicate process in complex applications. It is generally best to wait until all the parts are in place before you dedicate time to making those parts work together faster. That isn't to say that small, obvious optimizations won't be ongoing - just that there will likely be a very large and very effective optimization process that will take place just before release candidate time :)

optimisation, the new buzzword...

you might see slight improvement as time passes, and more once they decleare pre gold (no more changes, only fix simple bugs, go to validation and final release compile)

you might also see massive drops if they add a much toted feature that dosn't play nice

Final release my be slightly better 'optimized' especially regarding online play.

BUT, fps its not going to be much better. There isn't a magic button to clean up the code and make it run super fast. They haven't been adding pause routines to take out at the end. (hmm, maybe they have :D)

With a matched CPU/GPU system the main fps killer is the AI algorithms. Put yourself on the map alone and you will have huge fps. Add several hundred AI fighing and compare fps. That load on the CPU is not going to be amazingly reduced by 'optimizing'. It may improve a bit but probably won't be noticeable.

The key is to have well made missions that spawn enemy properly rather than have them all over the map.

..and don't put all graphics settings on 'Ultra' just because you can in BF3. :icon_rolleyes:

Check what each option does and put it on the minimum you can accept. Even consider lowering resolution.

Measured FPS can be deceptive. I've noticed that same FPS reading can FEEL very different. For example try HDR Quality on LOW (Reduce brightness to min) This has same FPS as on STANDARD but feels much smoother...

Edited by EDcase

Edcase - There are some things that can make a significant difference. Fire up FRAPS and look at water, then away. Look at a forrest, then look away. Quite a difference in FPS. If they are capping CPU and/or GPU utlization, then yes, tweaking that can make a difference.

Take a look at Issue #0000716 http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716.