Sign in to follow this  
papy.rabbit.08

Main differences when editing in multiplayer

Hello, I don't know if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it...

After editing a lot in SP, I will try the multiplayer (cooperative mission, not wasteland or such things...).

So I wonder if you could tell me just in 2 words what are the main differences and the most important things that change, such as commands or names, or variables, etc...

Thank you!

After the reading you'll still have questions, but you'll know what you're facing.

What I do usually is read the code of experianced scripters and see how they did things. Sometime you'll say yourself, why so much code for something so simple, and then if you try your simplier solution, it does not quite work the way it is supposed and then you realize why there was so much code to do it.

Keep in mind init.sqf is read by all players, and server. A non-dedicated server is at the same time the server and a player, compared to a dedicated server which is it's own "server". Try to get some patients friends that can test with you. What they see will often not be what you see due to multiplayer scripting error/misunderstood concepts.

Trial and error... and debugging Tools, but that you may already be familiar.

Have you done much Scripting in your solo missions?

Yes, locality. And always keep track of all code lines in all of your scripts, and know on which machine they are running. Try to centralize as much as possible to the server.

Yes, locality. And always keep track of all code lines in all of your scripts, and know on which machine they are running. Try to centralize as much as possible to the server.

I don't entirely agree with that...the centralizing part.......It's a yes and well it gets complicated you'll end up with a mission that Lags because the server is doing to much. The server is the Hub everything flows through keep it clean and don't have it do work that can be done client side.

Oh and the RPT.File will help so always look to it first for answers. Then the community will help you when you get stuck. You learn by what mistakes you make.

I kinda threw the 2 words thing out the window. :butbut:

Edited by xx-LSD-xx

Thank you for all your answers! I read a lot, but it seemed very complicated. Yes I have scripted a lot, using the bis wiki... I try and when it doesn't work, I search why. But the problem is that I have no friends on Arma for testing, and I don't really understand this story with the servers... I mean, if someone start a game, with my coop mission, then another friend join this player and use a "playable unit", there isn't no "server". I mean, the script are exectuted on the computer from the guy who started the game, isn't it? I have some problem to understand all that. If you execute a script after a trigger, with hint "hello world" or I don't know what, it will be displayed on the two computer, or am I wrong? I know that some functions get executed on every computer, but sometimes you have to do it by yourself, but how do you execute a command on someone's machine and not on all of them?

Thank you guys

Edited by papy.rabbit.08

Yea running on a server and hosting a game are very different. Beginning with the software a sever uses. Windows Server 2008 is not the same as windows 7 just to begin with. The server is config is alot different than someone hosting.

Beginning with the software a sever uses. Windows Server 2008 is not the same as windows 7 just to begin with. The server is config is alot different than someone hosting.

What OS the server is running or what config it has is entirely irrelevant to a mission designer. Just make sure you test your mission on a dedicated server (which you can run locally too, arma3server.exe in the dev build).

Thank you for all your answers! I read a lot, but it seemed very complicated. Yes I have scripted a lot, using the bis wiki... I try and when it doesn't work, I search why. But the problem is that I have no friends on Arma for testing, and I don't really understand this story with the servers... I mean, if someone start a game, with my coop mission, then another friend join this player and use a "playable unit", there isn't no "server". I mean, the script are exectuted on the computer from the guy who started the game, isn't it? I have some problem to understand all that. If you execute a script after a trigger, with hint "hello world" or I don't know what, it will be displayed on the two computer, or am I wrong? I know that some functions get executed on every computer, but sometimes you have to do it by yourself, but how do you execute a command on someone's machine and not on all of them?

Thank you guys

There is always one server.

Think of a trigger (created in the editor) as it is created on all machines in the network. If a trigger is activated with a hint when a unit comes in range, it is actually activated on all machines at once. The unit comes in range on all machines, and therefore all those triggers activate on all machines (and for all players). However, if a script is running on just one machine, the hint will only execute on that very machine, and not for other players.