Sign in to follow this  
Treehugger

What really happens if one hold down alt key when looking through a red dot sight?

As infantry, I noticed that if I click the right mouse button to look down a red dot sight and also holding down the alt key while moving the rifle to the sides, the move is restricted.

Is this intentional or as designed?

As a single player in the editor I cannot really see what is going on with my player character. Does my my character in game appear to be standing completely still perhaps , while as a player still being able to look to each side like when looking down a sniper scope in Arma 2?

I like this effect and I don't like it. It allows you to move forward with sights up and aim slightly off a specific path. Say you're walking along a wall and don't want to move out from it's side, but want to aim away from the wall. This allows you to move along the wall and aim slightly away from it as well, but it also is restrictive like you said.

I would personally rather see a separate key for the restrictive aiming mode and use the Alt key to free look while aiming down the sights. I just want pure compatibility with the Oculus Rift and that free looking would only work in this proposed method with the OR.

Yeah basically freelook with the iron sights allows you to move your head and weapon like a turret.

Actually, if they're using the same system as they were using, I think all men are a class of vehicles which do actually have 'turrets'.

hm. i'm not sure if real free look while in iron sight mode would work since it seems that the rotation axis of the camera isn't the head anymore like in normal mode. you would rotate around a point very close to the actual sights instead of your neck. just speculating though. but looking at people switching to iron sights from outside doesn't show them changing their animation which suggests what i just described.

what could work is auto switching to normal mode when holding the alt key and switching back when releasing it. it would remove the need for some key strokes.

Doesn't free look work for iron sighs if you use TrackIR?

Doesn't free look work for iron sighs if you use TrackIR?

Yes, with any sights apart from sniper scopes or the like you can still look around freely while using them.

Works great with TrackIR. Especially after you get used to playing without a deadzone.