Sign in to follow this  
StankyKneePads

Creating assets from scratch for Arma 3

After searching and clicking through pages in the wiki I ended here. > http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BI_Tools_2.5

Are these the most up to date proper tools needed to create assets for Arma 3?

If not, could someone please point me to the right tools needed?

Could you also point me in the right direction in getting started?

Mind you, I have never done anything with Arma at all.

Thank you in advanced to anyone willing to help me out here.

Yes..

There are the "latest" tools during the period of A2CO

Although we awaiting anxiously the "upcoming" tools dedicated to A3 of course you can create content using v2.5

More information you will find here

Holy....

Okay, thank you for your response.

Could you point me to something as simple as getting a basic prop into Arma 3?

Say I just wanted to place an already completed .obj (uv mapped and textured) model into a map (scenario). I am somewhat familiar with Unity as far as the asset importing, could you point me to a tutorial that makes it that simple or am I SOL on it being that simple.

Holy....

Okay, thank you for your response.

Say I just wanted to place an already completed .obj (uv mapped and textured) model into a map (scenario). I am somewhat familiar with Unity as far as the asset importing, could you point me to a tutorial that makes it that simple or am I SOL on it being that simple.

No, but it's pretty simple I guess. First thing, search BI Tools 2.5. Download it, installation should be straight forward. There's a tool called Oxygen 2. You can import OBJ files into it. Now, I'm not sure how you'd position the object to the right position, but that'd depend on what it is. I mean, is it a static object? If so, then I'd say drop it in Oxygen, save as a p3d, reference the file in your config.cpp, Use binPBO (also in the tools) to "zip" the folder into a PBO file. If you know about config files, then you should be able to create an object that will appear in the editor. There are others who would be more familiar with that than I am though.

Check this tutorial. It basically just shows you how to create a static concrete wall and put it into the game.

Thank you for all the information, I think I have enough bookmarked to get me going.

One last thing, do any of you have any models that could be used for scale references?

Something as simple as a cylinder that would represent a soldier would be helpful.

there is a sticky in this very sub forum that contains the links towards the sample files (in .max, .fbx and .p3d file formats, scale 1:1)

is good to practice to model using real world metric units, since o2 default units are in meters

Edited by PuFu

Thank you, again.

Something I just noticed after installing the utilities, that's sort of strange to me:

I now have a partition containing "Arma2 P3D viewer" and other various files, the strange part to me is that the partition is only visible when viewing "computer" and is not visible when I am in my "disk management". Is this normal or did something go all goofy?

Thanks Emo,

That is exactly what happened, after a restart it went away though.

Just wanted to be sure something didn't go wrong or I didn't have any other problem.