Sign in to follow this  
bluegoon

South Africa - 200-220ms viable for multiplayer?

Hi guys,

Currently enjoying the Alpha, I'm a player from South Africa.

We have a small Arma group here in SA, zulu-alpha.co.za, I was wondering, with this being Alpha, would 200-220 ms be viable for multiplayer? That's the best latency I can achieve to UK servers, which are nicely populated already!

I don't want to teleport/spoil other people's enjoyment of the game, just wondered if the netcode would be optimized for higher latency gamers?

I can play on UK servers fine at the moment, just experienced some choppy VOIP when in game today, on Sunday it was fine, not sure if that would be server-side though.

Anyways, your thoughts would be appreciated, I'm sure there's a lot of Arma fans in SA, and probably other different remotely based players, waiting for some good news..

Cheers.

EDIT: Just like to add, the latency is pretty solid, it doesn't fluctuate as me and most of my fellow gamers here use ADSL to connect.

Edited by bluegoon

Only one way to find out (seeing as how you already have the game).

Go ahead and join a server and see how it works out for you.

well, ive been playing on some US servers with 200ms, was fine, depends on the server. Some servers are just laggy by themselves, cause of crappy hardware or network. So yeah, it won't harm to simply join the servers and play for several hours. Arma fans from south africa? Thats interesting, welcome to the community btw! :)

well, ive been playing on some US servers with 200ms, was fine, depends on the server. Some servers are just laggy by themselves, cause of crappy hardware or network. So yeah, it won't harm to simply join the servers and play for several hours. Arma fans from south africa? Thats interesting, welcome to the community btw! :)

Yea man! It's crazy I know, but Zulu-Alpha has been around since Arma 1! :)

Good to be on board!

Ping : 200ms-300ms is still ok. The worst thing is desynch = lost packets. Unless you don't have desynch you can still enjoy the game. I know what I'm saying because I do have dedicated sarver (not virtual server-box) with 1GB internet bandwith and for 2 years hosting xeno domination for arma 2 and arma 3 with 300-400AIs. The second thing, what admins should do, is server performance monitoring - server fps. I never let go under 15 server fps. I can put 1000AIs in coop mission and seee that server goes 2-5 fps, but it kills game immersions.

with 200ms+ expect only to be competitive against the stupid AI.

above 30ms it starts to have impact on any first person shooter playability on PvP, and above 150ms it becomes a major disability.

I'm still looking for a disk copy of ARMA2 Army of the Czech Republic here in SA since I have the rest of the collection on disk but the stores here don't stock it =/

anyway to the point, are you getting 200-220ms currently? because I'm pretty sure we're having trouble with our international lines at the moment, my adsl is buggered anyway.

with 200ms+ expect only to be competitive against the stupid AI.

above 30ms it starts to have impact on any first person shooter playability on PvP, and above 150ms it becomes a major disability.

No..no..no..NOT in ARMA series

In ARMA ping is not such as problem in comparison with other FPS's

The lowest ping i played in all my life (in ARMA 1/2/3) was ~70ms..and i 've buried more men than plague :)

Yes..high ping from players >200 mostly f@cks a weak server (and sooner or later this will affect you 2..)..but your real enemy is Desync.(visible chains on screen)

I've been plenty competitive at 280ms in DayZ. It's a thinking/tactics game, not a twitch shooter after all. Obviously, for COOP you'll be fine.

Re: the claims about PVP, "thinking/tactics game, not a twitch shooter after all"... :rolleyes: the reality is that "viable or not?" is dependent on the server and on the mission.

I find that 200-300ms is perfectly fine for Arma as long as the server is good enough. Also just keep in mind that seacom is still down until at least 22 Apr so you can expect some random packet and connection drops when playing overseas.

Re: the claims about PVP, "thinking/tactics game, not a twitch shooter after all"... :rolleyes: the reality is that "viable or not?" is dependent on the server and on the mission.
Eh, I've not played Wasteland, but I've done plenty of CTI/WF and DayZ with 200ms+ pings. Sure, I've died a few times from it, but it's hardly made it "unplayable" or made me uncompetitive. For COOP it's not even an issue: Fish in a barrel any way you slice it.