Sign in to follow this  
HKFlash

[SP] Woods Sweep

Sent you five .wma files by e-mail, unfortunately I didn't have an OGG converter immediately available so they were recorded with the Sound Recorder in Windows 8.

Down load this:

Audacity

Can covert from mp3 to ogg very easily

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Problem is that I started in WMA and not MP3.

Irrelevant. Sound had to be edited to include radio static.

Thanks, so WMA is fine for sending you voice samples and lines?

Thanks, so WMA is fine for sending you voice samples and lines?

Perfectly fine. I've integrated your voice into the mission but I'm not happy with my editing of the sound files yet (can barely hear you when music kicks in). I'll update the mission as soon as I'm satisfied with the editing.

Would you like/prefer a louder rerecord?

Nope its balanced as it is. I just need to amplify the sound files.

Alright, time to answer some feedback.

-Intro and Outro are not fun to do but brings a lot to a mission, so now is a chance to get some practice doing it, or better yet, get one started and reach out to the community for help on them.

An Intro will be done, I'm still learning how to create one. It will not be released until the characters of the mission are all properly voiced. An outro makes more sense in a campaign (because you get into another mission) and so it will not be done.

-About the weapons crates and distance to the mission objectives:

You could place some crates at one of your check points closer to the AO on the roads and put that staff sergeant there next to the vehicles and giving his speech like you did at the base.

How about this, you have those guys doing animations at the trucks at base, right? So maybe you could move that whole scene with the sergeant and the crates at the first Check point on the road side, make it known to the player that the truck broke down while going to do the mission, and Sarg wants you and your men to go down that valley and kill those no good bastards, while he stays behind to cover the truck and those two dudes fixing the trucks like they were doing at the base.

In this mission, you are the Sargeant and Fireteam commander, the guy next to the crates is a private from a Logistics unit. The rest doesn't make sense because I want the player to take its time to plan the mission and use the vehicles he wants to use, so Kamino is the perfect starting point. I would make the base itself more interactible but lack of assets prevents me from doing it.

After clearing Sectors Alpha and Beta, have the team move down to a "possible" bay where the no-good-bastards inserted and either take the stand-by team as hostages or kill them off completely or something like that. Surely one or two dudes were left behind to watch over the insertion boat/vehicles?

Did you actually read the briefing? The Special Forces team was spotted as soon as they made it to the shore and a quick reaction force sent into the area to intercept (this part will be covered in the intro i have planned). There were no "dudes" left behind because they were spotted and their mission went from Special Ops to simply surviving and evading the enemy until they could escape. Also, its sector "Bravo" not "Beta".

Changelog:

v0.96

• Fixed: 7.62x51mm Magazines classname
  • Added: targets to the firing range
  • Added: new task
  • Added: InfoText intro

Known issues derived from 0.58 in game version:

• Patrolling soldiers keep switching between combat pace and walking pace.
  • At the overview screen, mission image won't load

I'm an old OFP guy myself, and love seeing a fully developed mission like this. Looks like the first serious story driven mission out yet for arma 3 (that I've seen anyway). Good job. Please don't take my feedback personally, I know this is a lot of work. I'm just making observations and throwing ideas out.

Scenario concept: Awesome.

Map and markers: Perfectly laid out. Visually bounds and defines the mission well.

Base: Feels alive. Firing Range, talkers, repair guys. Love it. A little chatter amongst these guys would also build immersion. "Still repairing this rig, take the one on the right". "Hi Sarge, howzit hangin"...whatever you like. I know you are adding more voices in, and will try your more voiced version again when available. Crates were ok with me. Didn't take too long to gear up. You could give the player a default kit, and then he would have the option of changing it, or hitting the road.

Briefing Tasks: Are too verbose with run-on sentences, IMO. Short and clear sentences minimize re-reading by player (especially for many players for whom English is a second language). Besides, orders should be succint and clear anyway. Background can be more lengthy. Let me know if you want me to help with that.

Drive: is long and uneventful. Civilian traffic could spice it up. Maybe a surprise to whet our appetite? Maybe a couple opfor slipped the net (so not in briefing). Maybe they blow the radio towers as you approach. Player can chase them down, or not. Maybe a civilian is wounded in the road, and tells you he's been carjacked by two opfor who are headed off towards X location. Or maybe you arrive when carjacking is in progress. Maybe they try to run a checkpoint as you approach, and the checkpoint blufor hoses 'em down. Just some ideas... Maybe two or three different encounters prepared, but only one is randomly activated at mission start (for re-playability). One or two guys lightly armed (a pistol only on one?), so its less likely we lose men on this appetizer.

Gastovsky's voice acting is very good.

My sweep plan for the Northern sweep was to make 3 long passes, starting E to W on a northern path, then return W to E thru the middle, and then back E to W on a southern path. Maybe add a savepoint when player first enters a sweep zone.

Great suspense music in the north sweep zone. Where's it from? Not sure how I feel about music for immersion, but it was cinematic and cool. I was guessing it was my signal that we were near the enemy, not sure though. Didn't encounter anyone after hearing it. Another option to signal player, could be some really faint opfor talking, or a bush rustle noise, a belch, metallic clinking, or weapons slide sound would be cool. Something subtle and faint.

I really like the foggy slow atmospheric stalking through the woods. Maybe a little nervous whisper chatter between squad would add to it as well. "I gotta bad feeling about this Sarge...", etc.

Gawdammit, just got greased on first contact! My fault, because my team did spot them before they spotted us. Still it was a great immersive 1/2 hour, will try again later when I have time, and give further feedback.

This is really a great mission so far. Hope you build many more. Consider posting it on the Beta thread at OFPEC site, they give great detailed beta test feedback, and will score it for you when done. Here's the link.

Update and weirdness report: I like this mission so much I took the liberty to unpbo it, and make the squad playable so my buddy and I can play this coop. At mission start in base, it acted differently. In my SP run through, the mortar guys did nothing, and the guy by the crates said nothing. After my slight modification, in MP, the mortar guy was pumping out mortars, and the guy by the crate talked to me (which is good). I have no idea why that did not happen in SP. Just letting you know.

Further Progress: Took out first team to the North. Lost 2 comrades, dammit. Task complete and radio dialogue completed immediately upon killing last opfor. In my case this was with a grenade, so screen immediately froze for savepoint, and triggered completion and voice. Delaying this trigger 30 seconds or more would be better. How do I know last man is down? It disturbed immersion to instantly have screen freeze for savepoint with my grenade explosion frozen in that screen. Player should have some time to confirm that all is clear (to be less gamey).

Edited by JohnnyBoy

Nothing happens after getting equipment. No trigger or waypoint change. :(

same here... been running all over the place and gearing up...

Posting from my mobile phone since I`m currently at work.

To the two above posters try getting three or four magazines for your primary weapon. Dont forget the helmet and the vest.

Jonhyboy I`ll answer your post in depth as soon as i get access to my desktop computer, which should happen by friday or maybe even earlier than that.

i only found ammo and guns, no helmet or vest. I only have the default ones on me. Somehow it wont let me take more than 2 magazines...

The trigger for the new waypoint doesn't work if you don't take the correct weapon and ammo. I went through a lot of trial and error.

somehow it opened all crates except the top left one, i managed to gear up full. It works now, thanks for pointing out mate.

The trigger for the new waypoint doesn't work if you don't take the correct weapon and ammo. I went through a lot of trial and error.

Just came in to tell you guys that this happens because of classname changes made by BIS. I did correct it in the editor but not in the FSM. Should be fixed in 0.97.

I'm an old OFP guy myself, and love seeing a fully developed mission like this. Looks like the first serious story driven mission out yet for arma 3 (that I've seen anyway). Good job. Please don't take my feedback personally, I know this is a lot of work. I'm just making observations and throwing ideas out.

Hello JohnnyBoy, thank you for your feedback.

Scenario concept: Awesome.

I should add that the concept changed alot during development. Initially it was meant to simply have a fireteam go into an wooded area and eliminate all OPFOR.

Base: Feels alive. Firing Range, talkers, repair guys. Love it. A little chatter amongst these guys would also build immersion. "Still repairing this rig, take the one on the right". "Hi Sarge, howzit hangin"...whatever you like. I know you are adding more voices in, and will try your more voiced version again when available. Crates were ok with me. Didn't take too long to gear up. You could give the player a default kit, and then he would have the option of changing it, or hitting the road.

Base chatter will be added in post-release version updates. As for the default kit, giving it to the player would give me an huge amount of work code wise (because the mission is already made with the rearming in mind) with very little gain.

Briefing Tasks: Are too verbose with run-on sentences, IMO. Short and clear sentences minimize re-reading by player (especially for many players for whom English is a second language). Besides, orders should be succint and clear anyway. Background can be more lengthy. Let me know if you want me to help with that.

Version 0.97 contains improvements in this area.

Drive: is long and uneventful. Civilian traffic could spice it up. Maybe a surprise to whet our appetite? Maybe a couple opfor slipped the net (so not in briefing). Maybe they blow the radio towers as you approach. Player can chase them down, or not. Maybe a civilian is wounded in the road, and tells you he's been carjacked by two opfor who are headed off towards X location. Or maybe you arrive when carjacking is in progress. Maybe they try to run a checkpoint as you approach, and the checkpoint blufor hoses 'em down. Just some ideas... Maybe two or three different encounters prepared, but only one is randomly activated at mission start (for re-playability). One or two guys lightly armed (a pistol only on one?), so its less likely we lose men on this appetizer.

An ambush is out of the equation because you only have four men and are already facing 5 to 7 hidden men. Many times in the forest engagements you get ambushed so another one en route will make an hard mission even harder. Civilian/military traffic and conversations between teammates will probably get added.

My sweep plan for the Northern sweep was to make 3 long passes, starting E to W on a northern path, then return W to E thru the middle, and then back E to W on a southern path. Maybe add a savepoint when player first enters a sweep zone.

Done in 0.97, everytime you enter a sector it will save the game.

Great suspense music in the north sweep zone. Where's it from? Not sure how I feel about music for immersion, but it was cinematic and cool. I was guessing it was my signal that we were near the enemy, not sure though. Didn't encounter anyone after hearing it. Another option to signal player, could be some really faint opfor talking, or a bush rustle noise, a belch, metallic clinking, or weapons slide sound would be cool. Something subtle and faint.

Music is from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater soundtrack - Close Quarters Combat. It fires when the enemy detects you. You got very lucky escaping alive when the music kicked in because the trigger also makes the enemy team go weapons free. Sounds to signal OPFOR presence provide little gain and alot of work.

I really like the foggy slow atmospheric stalking through the woods. Maybe a little nervous whisper chatter between squad would add to it as well. "I gotta bad feeling about this Sarge...", etc.

Will probably be done at some point.

This is really a great mission so far. Hope you build many more. Consider posting it on the Beta thread at OFPEC site, they give great detailed beta test feedback, and will score it for you when done. Here's the link.

Many more will come but they will take alot of time because:

a) The game is still in alpha version resulting in constant changes to classnames, AI behaviour and other stuff.

b) Requires voice acting which as to go through a Quality Control process done by me. Voice actors also take some time to provide the voice lines (Real life issues, etc).

c) I'm still learning, which means many times the code goes through alot of optimizing.

Update and weirdness report: I like this mission so much I took the liberty to unpbo it, and make the squad playable so my buddy and I can play this coop. At mission start in base, it acted differently. In my SP run through, the mortar guys did nothing, and the guy by the crates said nothing. After my slight modification, in MP, the mortar guy was pumping out mortars, and the guy by the crate talked to me (which is good). I have no idea why that did not happen in SP. Just letting you know.

Are you running any mods? That behaviour is not normal. Anyway, mortar firing was removed in 0.97 due to poor weather (lol).

Further Progress: Took out first team to the North. Lost 2 comrades, dammit. Task complete and radio dialogue completed immediately upon killing last opfor. In my case this was with a grenade, so screen immediately froze for savepoint, and triggered completion and voice. Delaying this trigger 30 seconds or more would be better. How do I know last man is down? It disturbed immersion to instantly have screen freeze for savepoint with my grenade explosion frozen in that screen. Player should have some time to confirm that all is clear (to be less gamey).

Improved in version 0.97.

Changelog:

v0.97

• [REMOVED]: Mortar (Blue) placed at the Heavy Weapons Range
  • [CHANGED]: Second task no longer requires the player to pick up magazines
  • [REMOVED]: Color hand smoke grenades
  • [REMOVED]: Color smoke grenades
  • [ADDED]: Delay to the sector clearing tasks completion
  • [iMPROVED]: Tasks description
  • [ADDED]: Two aditional spawn points for each enemy group
  • [ADDED]: TOC radio operator is now voiced (by Chortles)

Enjoying this (although not finished it yet as AI seem to be able to see/hear for miles - probably not your fault as i think it's an Alpha fault).

Downloading the updated version as i type.

P.S The music is a great touch. Keep up the good work :cool:

Nice mission, this mission definatly has the "feel" of a campaign mission rather than a single one. Something not too hard, but builds tension and world. That long jeep drive is just made for a conversation between your fireteam, feels a lot like "Camping" (think that was the name) from the original OFP. That said, for a single mission I thought the drive was a bit much from home base, when you have a perfectly functional "base like" area in can't remember Airbase 128 or something?

Look forward to more.

That said, for a single mission I thought the drive was a bit much from home base, when you have a perfectly functional "base like" area in can't remember Airbase 128 or something?

You mean the Air Station Mike-26?

Look forward to more.

The next one is already in the making. Hey I learned with BI how to tease!

I would love to test this mission but get "no entry config.bin/cfg.worlds.97" error?

I'm using Beta v0.71.106951

It probably haven't been updated to be BETA compatible.