Sign in to follow this  
Shuntrmerc

BRDM-2

BRDM-2 reconnaissance vehicle is distinguished by its turret, which is the same as that mounted on the BTR-60PB. The conical turret, which mounts two machine guns (1 4.5-mm and 7.62-mm), is unusual in that is has no top hatch opening. This model carries a crew of four (commander, gunner, driver, and co-driver). It also has a land navigation system that gives coordinate readings.

ya know what they outta do? make a BRDM with a turret. then to counter it give NATO a halftrack! tounge.gif

I agree..... were is the d*amn 14.5 mm gun

BRDM-2 (w/ the turret) - M113

BMP-2 - Bradley

T-80 - M1

T-72 - M60

T-55 - confused.gif (BMP-1 hehehe)

The BRDM without the turret is just NOTHING....

• Like 1

The BRDM does have a DsHK machinegun irl but without the turret, thats the BRDM2.

I dont understand why theyve left it out, just like with the humvee, which is very nice but should also have offensive weaponry.

Btw, I dont agree with the t72- m60 counterpart, in OFP the counterpart for the m60 is the T55 (equal in armor and in firespeed/reloadspeed) which ofcourse is complete bulls**t.

But then again, so is blowing up a M1 with a rpg, or a BMP2 with a law.

Worst case scenario a law would disable a BMP but certainly not one hit would take out the entire thing.

In Cheznia the rebbel forces needed an average 4 rpg

hits to smoke a bmp and that was at point blank range.

But then again, who gives a f**k smile.gif

(Edited by Mox at 2:14 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

Although I would have loved to have seen a turreted BRDM, I am not bothered that it isn't, becasue like the M113 is there are many versions all based around the same basic chassis. One of these is an unarmed scout vehicle.

And Spetznatz, the units and weapons in OFP are not meant to be compared or equalivalents. In reality never do both sides have equal counter parts (just look at the present Afgan War as an example). During the Cold War, the Americans and Russians were so far seperated, it isn't any wonder they didn't produce alike weapons in anycase. You have to learn your sides strangths and weaknesses and learn the capability of each individual unit. That is what makes the game so fun and unique. If BIS was so concerned about having equal sides why do you think the Americans have more helicopters than the Russians, and why do the Russians have better armoured units?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Mox on 1:12 am on Nov. 14, 2001

In Cheznia the rebbel forces needed an average 4 rpg

hits to smoke a bmp and that was at point blank range.

(Edited by Mox at 2:14 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

<span id='postcolor'>

Somehow Mox, I don't think they were firing RPGs at point blank range.

(Edited by The Jub Jub Bird at 1:20 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

They were.

In Crozny, the capitial of Cheznia there were some fierce

fights and ambushes.

In the First Cheznia war the russians just drove their armoured columns into the city only to find they were met by a storm of rpg rockets.

In the second war they had learned a bit from their mistakes and they used special forces and militia to clean the streets before they moved their armor (and they just leveled about every cityblock)

Ive done research into this war, mainly to the effectiveness of sholder fired rocket launchers at all ranges and they proved  only effective in ambush-like situations.

Most combat in the Crozny took place at distances under 150 mtrs and most rockets were fired from within that envelope.

Only 2 out of 4 were hits and only 1 out of 15 !!!! were

serious enough to disable their targets (mainly bmp1's and bmp2's)

Most BMP wrecks recovered showed traces of at least multiple rockethits and

eyewitness reports speak of "many" hits on one vehicle at the same time in order to take it out completely.

This is no suprising since every Cheznian Rebell (called terrorists by the Russians but I dont know about that) had a chance of 1 in 3 to end up with a RPG since they had plenty of them in the beginning.

(Edited by Mox at 7:24 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

Here, here!

That's why I loved Starcraft. RTS games before then had stagnated...there were always two sides, each side had a exact counterpart on the other side...blargh.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from The Jub Jub Bird on 8:17 pm on Nov. 13, 2001

Although I would have loved to have seen a turreted BRDM, I am not bothered that it isn't, becasue like the M113 is there are many versions all based around the same basic chassis. One of these is an unarmed scout vehicle.

And Spetznatz, the units and weapons in OFP are not meant to be compared or equalivalents. In reality never do both sides have equal counter parts (just look at the present Afgan War as an example). During the Cold War, the Americans and Russians were so far seperated, it isn't any wonder they didn't produce alike weapons in anycase. You have to learn your sides strangths and weaknesses and learn the capability of each individual unit. That is what makes the game so fun and unique. If BIS was so concerned about having equal sides why do you think the Americans have more helicopters than the Russians, and why do the Russians have better armoured units?

<span id='postcolor'>

Oversoul the problem with real life, and particularly with US and Soviet equipment is that each piece does not necessarily have a directly comparable counterpart. Each military designed their equipment for a certain purpose, and not always to counter a weapons system used by the other side, just like the Jub-Jub Bird said.

The lack of real-world time frame allows other games to give each piece of equipment a suitable counterpart.

(Edited by Krull SGC at 11:37 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

(Edited by Krull SGC at 4:06 pm on Nov. 14, 2001)

The RPG7 didn't take out the Georgian President Shevardnadze's armoured Mercedes.. So I guess Mercedes makes better vehicles than Novosibirsk Tank Factory..

Found some strange things here...

WARNING! IF YOU FAINT EASY DON'T CHECK IT OUT!!

http://www.kavkaz.org/english/photo.htm

http://www.kavkaz.org/english/news/2001/04/28/blasting.htm

http://www.kavkaz.org/bomb/operazii/operazii1.htm

http://www.kavkaz.org/bomb/operazii/operazii2.htm

http://www.kavkaz.org/bomb/operazii/operazii3.htm

Re Mox

Thanks for the info man.

APCs in OFP are a great deal less useful than IRL - since one RPG/LAW hit can kill all on board. Without going crazy on penetration effects etc etc - I reckon it would be a big improvement just having most passengers survive a single hit.