Sign in to follow this  
hovmand

Battlefield 1942

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ July 20 2002,21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uf... THAT is one crappy game.

'nuff said<span id='postcolor'>

Now...

Have you actually played the Demo, or are you just blathering in an uninformed 'judging by screenshots' manner? biggrin.gif

I just downloaded it and gave it a shot.

The readme file says minimum system is 800MHz, 258MB RAM, but I tested it with my 750 Mhz, 376MB RAM PC.

They only give out one mission, and I tried it out. here are some observations.

smokes: unlike OFP with its very active smoke physics, BF is just lame. they have one black plane to indicate that there are smokes(and yes, you can actually "hide" behind it). IT seems like they tried to save graphic resources by putting Duke Nukem-esque model for soke. you just have a damn piece of glass.

Not to mention blasts. Blasts look ok, but I only had chance to see it from far away like when a tank gets blown up. it's a bright flash, and seems reasonable to me.

dammage model: this was my most skeptical part of the game during its screenshot advertisements. any game that has life scale seems to be those bunnyhopping FPSs(and yes, they have jump here too). But BF did some better job with it. if you get in firefight, one shot will knock you dead, no question about it. sometimes, you will be shot or have a grenade tossed at you from distance, and that hurts some part of your health. This is advanced version from other FPSs. I'd say that it's advanced version of GR-ish health system.

on subject is medic. they have medics and also some places in bunker where you can actually stand right next to(yes..just stand next to) and it automatically heals. So that's one draw back.

soldiers: soldeirs look like something from WW2 online-ish model. OFP beats them in graphical detail by a mile. they are so simple.

guns: there are many guns that you can get in. bunker guns(?), and as tank gunner. you can actually jump on tanks and have fun shooting, driving and etc. like ofp, there is no limit on seating yourself as a gunner. if you stick yourself out, you will get shot and killed just like in ofp. however, it seems like there model leaves more of your body out for target than OFP.

i tried sniper, and seems it is just another shooting game. there is no MOA(cuz map is not big enough), but reloading time seems reasonable. they are called scouts in the game. one nice thing about scouts is that you can actually call for artillery fire with your binocs. choose binoc(using mouse wheel) and click with right button, and look for a target, and then click left mouse button and you'll request an artillery support. nice feature, but I never saw an artillery anyway tounge.gif

assualt soldiers get machine guns and 30 round magazine for germans(didn't try Brits though). they are automatic and acuracy is good. just point and click once and enemy is gone to heaven.

the firearm physics is basically like other FPS. no MOA, just shoot like hell. and following recent trends in FPS, you can shoot while you run, but you'll also have less acuuracy. going prone gives best accuracy.

controls: assholes stole OFP's features! 'Q' is for crouching, 'Z' is for prone poistion! and just like OFP's AI, pressing 'Q' once will make you crouch and then stand up. tounge.gif

overall, not bad.

map: they claim to be big maps, but think somewhere around size of half of the Desert Island in OFP tounge.gif the maps have enough trenches and hills to make combinations of sniper, assault rifle and tank actions to be fun. but the size is so small that you can actually just walk/run with out any problems. terrain details are not as good as OFP IMO, and they look ok, but details are far less than OFP.

they do have some buildings and they don't make much collision problem, but with that kind of building OFP can beat the hell out of BF.

so in conclusion. BF seems ok for fun, but OFP still has the lead. BF is more like advanced version of GR to me.

Is anyone else having trouble with the mouse? i use inverted and it just screws around and then go back to normal.

Well anyway, this game is not getting any of my money, its to arcade for my taste, the fact alone that you can get in a tank and drive of shooting left and right without having a gunner says it all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> tried sniper, and seems it is just another shooting game. there is no MOA(cuz map is not big enough), but reloading time seems reasonable. they are called scouts in the game. one nice thing about scouts is that you can actually call for artillery fire with your binocs. choose binoc(using mouse wheel) and click with right button, and look for a target, and then click left mouse button and you'll request an artillery support. nice feature, but I never saw an artillery anyway

<span id='postcolor'>

The artillery is actually the "Priest" for the allies, and the hetzer(?) type looking tank for the axis.

I have some more gripes:

-The sound is too quiet! If you are inside a tank and you fire the co-axial mg, it's nice and loud. if oyu press "c" for changing camera, The sound is loud for the first two shots and quiet fo the rest. There should be louder ambient gunfire, etc. Otherwise, it's too quiet.

-The classes are very strange. Why does the medic have a thompson and the engineer a springfield? They should have a different class system for example followind DoD style (Day of Defeat), with scharfschutze, sniper, oberfuhrer, heavy infantry, grenadier or light infantry, etc. I found myself getting killed from too far away, by enemies I couldn't see, as the view distance was too short and the enemies could somehow see thru the fog.

-If you check out the bf1942 website, you can see that some aries have way more units than others, and that for ex. the russian army has american equipment! This is really stupid since it ruins the authenticity feel.

-If you use the bolt action rifles, the soldiers takes way to long to cock the rifle. Instead of just quickly cocking it, he has to put the rifle out of his sight, look blankly at the sky for a second, and then proceed to open the chamber and cock the rifle. This is really annoying.

-howcome it is that in the battle of Tobruk, which ended in 1942 I believe, German soldiers have StG44's, and Tiger tanks, which were created after Tobruk?

Other than that, this game is pretty fun anyways.

Its a fresh change. Its not supposed to be ultra realistic. I still like it. It is a fresh change from OFP. Again they are completely different games.

Just tried it. I'm not very impressed. It is a blend of OFP and arcade with emphasis on arcade. I think however it combines the worst of two worlds. OFP is waaay better when it comes to the open design, vehicles, weapons and damage models. The arcade part is also not very good. RTCW is better in that respect. You get a very wierd blend when you engage at long distances and one-shot kills while you can use the scope of the sniper rifle while running.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 21 2002,02:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You get a very wierd blend when you engage at long distances and one-shot kills while you can use the scope of the sniper rifle while running.<span id='postcolor'>

ACK!

Well, at least all the 1337 awpers from CS have a place to go!

Who was it that was spamming the forums a month or two ago that BF1942 was going to 'own' OFP? *cough*hovmand*cough* biggrin.gif

I cant even get the fucking game to work. And though Im not sure, I think it may have had a hand in making my system take a major shit (It now freezes at the WinME startup screen, and I have been banging my head against this problem all day). mad.gif

In case you were wondering, Im using a different computer right now. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ July 21 2002,04:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe thats because Windows ME sucks.<span id='postcolor'>

ooh, gee, ya think? Now, Confuscious, do you have any more nuggets of wisdom to dispense, or are you gonna help me out?

Hmm.... its not actually that bad, but it is way worse than original OFP demo. It didn't impress me

yeah..this game is for GR lovers. tounge.gif

Tex, you got recovery disk? If not, you may ahve to reformat the pc sad.gif

Whoa shit dont just format for that. What kind of errors or problems are you getting?

Frankly I would format it.

I trust you have Windows 98 kicking around. Install that instead, its far more stable than ME. If you can go for WinXP, I can't really fault it. Not one crash on either of my machines since I got it a few months back.

As for BF1942. Hmmm, its good fun, but I would prefer something more realistic. Have they actually fixed WWII Online yet? I would like to try that.

Warin, to tell you WHY i dont like this game smile.gif :

DICE and EA claims that there are lots of different models etc. of weapons and vehicles BUT:

The models are the same for each side just with different textures and view. Sounds weird? Yes it does. But for an example.

The Sherman and the Tiger is the exact same tank just with different visual. Same ammo round, same damage, same speed, same reloading (1 second - gah), same range (And what a lame range... To shoot 50 meters, you actually have to aim upwards, since it actually shoots just like if you threw the round with ya bare hands). Not to mention the physics... If you accidently ram a 5 CM tree with ya tigertank... Not only does the tank stop, the tree doesnt take any damage at all but... THE tank takes damage (!!?).

You cant even destroy barbed wire with ya tank to let people pass it afterwards, not can you drive people down, they are just peing pushed over the battlefield infront of your tank.

The AI is actually worse than in Ghost Recon. They decided to just make several bots to different difficulty modes. This means that you will not see any AIs engaged with other AIs unless they "accidently" meet on the battefield - And if they ran into each other, they will be confused and start running around in circles, which is pretty hillarious to watch, but it gets annoyed when 5 of your AI teammembers starts to do this for several minutes while the enemy is advancing.

Yes, its pretty good thing with artellery fire - If the AI knew how to hit. It obviously dont and will always overshoot the target with about 50-100 meters. Which is pretty much on these small maps. Not to mention that EA decided to include NO BLOOD.

Yes, I might be a stupid arrogant person, but atleast I would like to see when I hit a guy and where i hit him. If nothing else then include a damn blood on/off function. No blood is just lame.

Ive read about the final version. The campaign will not include any scripting etc. Its actually just a line of battles on the numerious maps with enemy bots. Talking about the final version - It will have carriers etc. Which is cool, but there will be no deaph charges while enemy submarines can occur. Now you think.. but how?!

The carriers will use its cannons on the side to destroy submarines - Dont ask me why, but that is whats gonna happen... yuk. Also, the submarines isnt actually german, since Germany havent gotten any naval untis in this game, so Japan have "borrowed" a couple subs from Germany - lol.

Some weapons is just not in the game, for example, they forgot to add the "Garand", which is sad, since thats a really fun weapon. Anyway, this game wont get my money.

Well, no matter, Im squared away for now, and very much looking to upgrade lol.

There is an upside- that format I did leaves me with a whole shitload of space that I never had the guts to clean out on my own smile.gif