I've been the host and I've been the missing out on the taskhints. It's weird.

I've been the host and I've been the missing out on the taskhints. It's weird.

The task completion has been triggered on a client only then. It must be triggered on the server. If you use a trigger, make sure you chose a trigger condition that fires on all clients independently. If in doubt, use PublicVariable.

The task completion has been triggered on a client only then. It must be triggered on the server. If you use a trigger, make sure you chose a trigger condition that fires on all clients independently. If in doubt, use PublicVariable.

All the task are getting completed on every client. But only one client is seeing the task hint comeup on the screen and its not the host(me).

I'll ave to look up this publicvariable command.

All the task are getting completed on every client. But only one client is seeing the task hint comeup on the screen and its not the host(me).

I'll ave to look up this publicvariable command.

I'll make the task marking functions client callable in the next version

What am I doing wrong here?

uhm... your mission has AI disabled, so it does not even support join in progress at all.

Eidt: Ok, you got a respawn=BASE setting. This is not a JIP issue at all, it's because the unit respawns.

The current script does not hanlde respawns (mainly because I hate respawn and never used it in any of my missions, heh). I'll add it for the next version.

Edited by Varanon

uhm... your mission has AI disabled, so it does not even support join in progress at all.

Eidt: Ok, you got a respawn=BASE setting. This is not a JIP issue at all, it's because the unit respawns.

The current script does not hanlde respawns (mainly because I hate respawn and never used it in any of my missions, heh). I'll add it for the next version.

So you need AI enabled for JIP? That seems a bit impractical. Specially when the mission I'm making supports 30+ players, there's no way I'm going to have that many AI standing around until a player joins and spawns as one.

There has to be a way for any JIP player to check the currently assigned task and create the tasks for that player. Maybe like a onPlayerConnected EV that's only executed on JIP?

there's no way I'm going to have that many AI standing around until a player joins and spawns as one.

Where's high command when you need one? :P

I'm thinking the majority of people making arma missions do use respawn though so this is a really big issue for them. I think if you're going to make a task system to release to the public you can't just not make it compatible for respawned units just because you don't like it :P

Hopefully it's not too long, I like the look of this script but I'm going to have to switch back to taskmaster for now due to this. I don't get it though, when you use respawn=base you still respawn with your original unit name so you are basically the same unit and not a new one, no?

Edited by clydefrog

So you need AI enabled for JIP? That seems a bit impractical. Specially when the mission I'm making supports 30+ players, there's no way I'm going to have that many AI standing around until a player joins and spawns as one.

There has to be a way for any JIP player to check the currently assigned task and create the tasks for that player. Maybe like a onPlayerConnected EV that's only executed on JIP?

When you start a mission with disabled AI, the AI is dead on mission start. If a player later joins, he doesn't join in progress, he respawns.

You have to acknowledge the fact that a task is not assigned to a player, or client. It is assigned to a unit, that is, the solider that the player might or might not inhabit. See the Biki page. If a unit is dead on mission start because AI is disabled, it will not receive the original task.

By the way, every time you create a mission with respawn, God kills a kitten. So the obvious solution is to be a real man and not do respawns :)

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

I'm thinking the majority of people making arma missions do use respawn though so this is a really big issue for them. I think if you're going to make a task system to release to the public you can't just not make it compatible for respawned units just because you don't like it :P?

Well, I tend to object to this. The author has every right to only support what he wants. Personally, I not only dislike respawn missions, I hate respawns with a passion. It encourages a gameplay style that is somewhere like "storm the camp, gun everything down, and if they get me in the process, repeat until everyone is dead". I find respawn to be broken by design for that very reason. Luckily there is still people making no-respawn missions (you know, the missions for real men).

Hopefully it's not too long, I like the look of this script but I'm going to have to switch back to taskmaster for now due to this. I don't get it though, when you use respawn=base you still respawn with your original unit name so you are basically the same unit and not a new one, no?

It only affects units that are dead on mission start. If you die and respawn and were in since the mission start, you will retain your tasks.

Well that's an odd stance to take. I respect your opinion but if you're trying to provide a tool to the public where I'd say a majority of mission editors use respawn in their mission, you should keep them in mind.

The mission I'm putting together is a dynamic persistent mission where it will be ran for hours. Not having respawn in a mission of this indefinite length would make it dead in the water for whatever communities play it.

You have every right to have a strong feeling against the way some of us play the game, but please please consider those of us who do use respawn and enjoy your script very much.

Edit will it make you happy if I make the respawn timer 5 minutes long? ;)

So you need AI enabled for JIP? That seems a bit impractical.

Uhm, no, it's called Join in Progress, which means that you join a session in progress, which is only possible if there is a unit that you can join into. If the unit is not AI enabled, it is basically dead when you start the session. Joining such a game is respawning the unit, not joining in progress (well, maybe a bit of a splitting hairs thing, but technically, the unit you connect to is respawned...)

Well that's an odd stance to take. I respect your opinion but if you're trying to provide a tool to the public where I'd say a majority of mission editors use respawn in their mission, you should keep them in mind.

It's Varanon's script anyway, but yeah, my stance may be odd, but think about it: Saying "you have to support respawn if you release a tool to the public" is almost like saying "you have to support MacOS if you are releasing a program to the public". In the end, the maker decides what he supports and what not. He might listen to input, but the decision is his.

Edit will it make you happy if I make the respawn timer 5 minutes long? ;)

Anything that discourages the "run-and-gun" style is good. Every time I play BF3 I am amazed that nobody actually even tries to do some tactical approach, it's just running and gunning because if you get killed, you can just respawn. Yeah, sometimes when I get killed early in a mission I will have to sit it out, sometimes for half an hour or more. Just teaches me to be a better player. It's like in racing games where you can pinball along the corners - you'll never make an effort to learn to corner correctly if you jus tneed to slide along.

I think if you're going to make a task system to release to the public you can't just not make it compatible for respawned units just because you don't like it :P

Uhm, yes I can ? Because I offer it to you for use, if it doesn't do what you need, then it might not be the right thing for you.

I didn't actually intent to release the script initially, so it's only doing what I needed it to do, but people told me it might be usable for others too, so I released it.

Having said that, I'm already working on the new features (respawn, client callability), so it will be in in the next version.

I don't get it though, when you use respawn=base you still respawn with your original unit name so you are basically the same unit and not a new one, no?

In theory, yes, but at the time the server initializes the tasks, the unit isn't there, so if you connect later, it will be recreated. I tested it and it works if you just click respawn, because the unit you're in while clicking respawn was present when it was created...

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Again, I'm already working on the respawn feature.

However, see the bolded part. I provide this to the public. If it doesn't have the features you need, then you are free to ask for them, and I will consider adding them. I find it a bit odd, though, to "demand" a feature. I'm still doing this in my spare time.

I'm thinking the majority of people making arma missions do use respawn though so this is a really big issue for them. I think if you're going to make a task system to release to the public you can't just not make it compatible for respawned units just because you don't like it :P

Or maybe in big bold letters not meant for respawn missions. I use to play respawn missions... until I got fed up of how many times I can go rambo and not get punished. There will be people out there who plays no revive/respawn missions too with respawning into AI squad members or none at all. It's much more rewarding knowing that you only have 1 life. I prefer no respawn/revive missions myself.

There are some scripts that can be release to public that are meant for certain groups only as well. I make no respawn/revive missions myself. What happen if I strictly intend it to be no revive/respawn and someone demands to have revive/respawn, do I HAVE to do it? No. Could I? If I feel like it.

Having said that, I'm already working on the new features (respawn, client callability), so it will be in in the next version.

That's great to hear. And just to be clear I never demanded anything, I just asked for you to keep us in mind, which you are and you're even more awesome for it.

Thanks.

That's great to hear. And just to be clear I never demanded anything, I just asked for you to keep us in mind, which you are and you're even more awesome for it.

Thanks.

Yeah, guys we're not telling you to do something or saying you should do something and when I said "you can't..." I didn't mean it literally. All I meant by what I said was I thought it was a bit strange that you'd release something like a task system for other mission designers to use, but have it not compatible with the way most people design their missions which is using some sort of respawn. Also it's not actually mentioned anywhere that it won't work properly in missions that use respawn.

I think when most people see something like this they will expect that kind of functionality unless stated otherwise. Anyways as you said you didn't originally make it with the intention of releasing it for others to use, but it's good you have and are willing to update it to add stuff like what is being discussed for others who would like to use it too. Good luck with it and thanks for spending your time to add this extra functionality into it, I'm sure it will be appreciated by a lot of people including myself. This definitely looks like a task system I would like to switch to for Arma 3 as coming from Taskmaster 2 I find this similar and very user friendly.

Edited by clydefrog

so what if you call disabledAI like 10 or 20 (if that would make any diffrence?) seconds into the game somehow, could that do any diffrence?

i know they are now dead but they where there to begin whit.

disabledAi is a setting in description.ext, not a script command

disabledAi is a setting in description.ext, not a script command

ty i acctually didnt know :)

but didt destroy some of my ideas to work around it :( im still newb.

but didt destroy some of my ideas to work around it :( im still newb.

I'll add respawn compatibility in the next version. I probably need to rewrite parts of it though, that's why it's going to take a bit of time.

I'll add respawn compatibility in the next version. I probably need to rewrite parts of it though, that's why it's going to take a bit of time.

Woohoo that would be awsome !

ONLY FOR COMPARE but when thats done you will become (to me) what justin bieber is to 12 year old girls ;D your nr 1 fan.

ONLY FOR COMPARE but when thats done you will become (to me) what justin bieber is to 12 year old girls ;D your nr 1 fan.

Geez, I hope I won't find my picture on your bedroom wall ;)

Geez, I hope I won't find my picture on your bedroom wall ;)

btw i was thinking of an idea, and dont have any clue of what it means or dont or what it implies. But would it be easyer to just write some sort of addon script to the current task tracker that way you wont have to mess whit the original, and all it has to do is as an minimum get the current task when jip. if theres allready an code for that some sort of thing then im sorry for my noobness and would really like to have it :) because then my dreams would be forfilled.

ps. can i have it?..... your picture :) .........hehe