Sign in to follow this  
fulcrum

Freezing every 5-10 sec.?

hey to all...

I found this question over at the "troubleshooting FAQ" forum:

Q: Operation Flashpoint is freezing for a while every 5-10sec. I have Geforce XX and the newest drivers.

A: You must uncheck in D3D settings "Enable alternate depth buffering technique".

Where can I find it?

Right click on desktop >Properties >Settings >Advanced > Geforce bookmark >Additional Properties > Direct3d setting.

Right...

I myself have this problem with resistance (not with orig. flashpoint). But my drivers dosen't have this funktion (using 29.something official nvidia drivers). I'm using the Riva tuner program but I can seem to find this funktion here.

I guess the funktion is avaible, but just called something different, so does anybody know what this funktion could be in Riva tuner.

Thanks in advance..

morten

Humm depth buffering that s not the W-buffer option inside OPF in the options/video ?

Well that s specific to OPF guy *and not al the video card support it*.

For your freeze did your HDD get activ?

If this is that, this is because you have put too high texture...i personnally play with 512*512 textures (but OPF autodetect still say me that i must use the 1024*1024text, stupid i ll freeze alot ingame).

While tuning i suggest u to slow the shadows in the "Flashpoint preferences", i put the shadow LOD to 0.05 *the lowest*: well my men shadow are crappy but i got a very high improvement (and i dont care for the shadows, i prefer good explosion graph)

To clarify how the LOD settings work, a lower number (slider to the right) gives you a more detailed object or shadow, which obviously has a slight impact on performance.

If you want to speed things up, you would have to move the slider to the left, which yields a larger LOD value.

I have the same problem of freezing 5-10sec but...I have a Voodoo 3 AGP !

You guys sure it's a gfx card problem and not a low RAM/low swapfile problem?

My config:

XP1700+

512Mo RAM

Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

I assume you've been upgrading a piece at a time? Odd to see a V3 with that config smile.gif

How much free hard drive space do you have, and what's your swapfile settings?

thanks everbody for answering my post..

My system:

AMD 1,4 ghz

GF 4 (440 mx version)

1 gb swapfile

512 mb ram.

The strange problem is that my system runs resistance fast enough except the pauses once in a while. So it seemed more like a lack of ram problem or something like that.

Well, the problem does not happen that much when playing as a foot soldier compared to flying around, so I guess I can live with it. Besides the problem seems to get smaller when I crank down the terrain and textureres (It just need to be lowered a lot to get rid of the pauses).

thanks again.

BTW: This should not be considered as a complain of resistance. Is a great add-on to a fantastic game...

To Reaper: I think you main problem is your voodoo3.

I really loved the voodoo series but v3 is geeting pretty OLD by now so consider buying a new video asap. It would really be worth it (I would recommend a Geforce 4 ti 4200. fast and cheap I think).

That setting I have only ever seen on one driver, or maybe two! tounge.gif . if it aint there I would'nt worry, cause it is'nt checked by default if I remember rightly,(which I don't usualy!!wink.gif.

Are you sure you have nothing running in the background?.

Actualy!, it sounds as though you have your 'Veiw Distance' set too high/far. when a new 'row' of trees pops up on the horizon is probly when you get the pauses. try lowering it to 950 or so. which is the old OFP default.

on helo/flying missions I have to lower terrain detail to low or very low as well as setting veiw distance to 950 or I get poor perfomance/stutters. the OFP missions are'nt bad, just Resistance wink.gif ...

I have also this Problem. Its not only an OFP Problem. This Problem occours in OFP:CWC, OFP:R, SOF2, 3DMark2001SE.

I have tried almost everything:

- disable/unplug Joystick

- new driver

- Change the Swap File

- Change the RAM (2*256MB)

- Defrag Hardrive

- without Mainboard Driver (AGP, USB)

- AGP Size switch to 4, 64, 128, 256 MB in the Bios

- Onboard Sound deaktivated

- Changing to "Standard PC" and change the IRQ Adressing

- Another Grafikccelarator

- Without Networkcard

- Without any Card esp. Geforce!

My System:

ASUS P4S333 - P4 1,5

Gefore4ti 4200

2x 256MB DDR cl2 266

c-media onboard sound

IBM IC40GB HD

No USB Devices

Router for DSL (external)

System: WindowsXP UptoDate

It seems as the PC peeks for something, is it an problem of XP? I have seen a lot of PCs running XP and there are no problems...

Please help me, it nerves a lot. Post your Ideas, even when you think, it wouldnt work.... confused.gif

can be your BUS....

try to check the update in ASUS Cie for a new bios *personnally i got VIA chipset and i got the corrupting pb, i flashed my bios and voila no more pb*.

Remember PC are all "Ibm compatible":

it mean that a PC/hardware/software ve not 100% compatibility between another one different... so the problems can come to many way *just think the AMD and Intel processing and not written the same way u will understand that the cause cannot be only the OS*

(i ve personnaly see one time a PC rebooting randomly, just because of the mini tower that caused the ground to not be very well made)

My BIOS is actuall, ive checked them.

Ive never heard of this Problem with the p4s333, it seems to be an fine Motherboard an it has been tested by a lot of Magazines and Internetsites.

First did u do that?

Check in your system panel and check out the drivers (if u see a thing like VMM32.vxd *for win98SE dunno for winme or XP* u are using the windows compatibility driver = depends can be very bad or medium performance).In the same panel check the ressource panel for each Hardware and expecially the memory addressing of all the cards *windows sometime dont detect conflict in memory adressing*

Have u tried to run OPF with another video card ? (some bad chip can pass the factory test sometime).

have u ever tried some diagnostic programms like:

Dxdiag *be careful of the DX driver*

Sisoft sandra... ect ect

I dunno if it will help u but it might give a clue to use theese software one time.

hmm one thing i just saw... u got a 40 gig IBM hdd wow.gif

Well theese HDD are rumored to corrupt data and be very brittle.... i once wanted to buy one *next month i ll change HDD and OS*, got some infos and all my friends say me "u can use the IBM hdd but only if u are not a power-user".

So i think i ll check for other Cie (dunno maybe seagate or maxtor they are rumored to do nice HDD actually).