Sign in to follow this  
Yairweinberg

Story problem.

Okay so the Iranians invaded an island in Greece, how? Did they suddenly get all sorts of tech and equipment from god knows where? Why Stratis?

Another problem is Israel, Where are they? Why did the Merkava mk.4 turn into the M2A1? Why do the Iranians use Tavors and Namer APCs? I heard a rumor that that's because Iran conquered Israel but come on what are the the chances?

Now I'm not judging your story decision but the Iranian problem would probably go on for 2-3 more years than war will break open leaving one side in destruction.. I'm willing to bet its the Iranian side. I know the Russia vs NATO thing is over used but you can use China, North korea or some kind of country that is trying to expand but there are so much pieces of this story that I just can not put together.

Anyone can explain that to me? Maybe try to guess?

Btw- Sorry if this is a little annoying for anyone but I have to know the LORE! Its the best part in a game in my mind!

Probable answer: "The Iranians were in the background all along and BI just chose to not depict that until now, and procurement decisions went differently in the Armaversum after 2010 than in our timeline."

I don't care about the "lore" or story in the Arma games. At all. But I see the problem for the story lovers. :)

Probable answer: "The Iranians were in the background all along and BI just chose to not depict that until now, and procurement decisions went differently in the Armaversum after 2010 than in our timeline."

Hmm maybe.. But there's still that problem of even if it went differently... How? What changed?

Okay so the Iranians invaded an island in Greece, how? Did they suddenly get all sorts of tech and equipment from god knows where? Why Stratis?

Another problem is Israel, Where are they? Why did the Merkava mk.4 turn into the M2A1? Why do the Iranians use Tavors and Namer APCs? I heard a rumor that that's because Iran conquered Israel but come on what are the the chances?

Now I'm not judging your story decision but the Iranian problem would probably go on for 2-3 more years than war will break open leaving one side in destruction.. I'm willing to bet its the Iranian side. I know the Russia vs NATO thing is over used but you can use China, North korea or some kind of country that is trying to expand but there are so much pieces of this story that I just can not put together.

Anyone can explain that to me? Maybe try to guess?

Btw- Sorry if this is a little annoying for anyone but I have to know the LORE! Its the best part in a game in my mind!

The action takes place in 2035 Armaverse ( alternate universe, but the same one from the rest of the Arma/OFP series) Note that BI apparently made some changes to the story since the Lemnos incident so what I;m saying now is partially based on the old story.

What we do know is that Stratis and Altis are not part of Greece (in the Armaverse). Iran did not invade Israel, it invaded Turkey and hoped over to what ever the new state is now called. Iran does not use the Tavor/Namer. The Tavor, known as the TRG 20/21 is now listed as a rifle used by NATO (check the field manual in the game menu). Also if you check the first community guide video, you can see the Namer sporting the NATO paint job. Same thing applies for the Hunter )M-ATV) which was believed to be an Iranian vehicle, but now apparently it's NATO's MRAP

In the Armaverse, Iran is a regional power house backed up by Russia and China. China is busy having it's little own Pacific Cold War with the US and Russia is playing it safe and doling out gas bills.

What we do know is that Stratis and Altis are not part of Greece (in the Armaverse).

Where did you get that?

They invaded turkey and hoped over? I don't know anything about the lore but turkey being part of NATO why didn't they respond earlier (to an invasion). Or did turkey take sides with Iran?

Where did you get that?

They actually invaded Greece, with Greece being cut in half at the DMZ created with the Jerusalem Peace Accords. So, Israel actually seems to be a neutral party in this conflict, which is reasonable since they were probably involved in the overthrow of Irans theocratic dictatorship.

Iran is now a nationalist, possibly secular and democratic state (In a similar sense as Russia is, likely, but actually secular and not pretending to be) who got fed up with the conservative/religious direction their neighbour turkey had taken, and decided to play european world police by curbing whatever mess was going on in Turkey after a series of natural disasters.

The EU is probably in shambles after decaying through economic breakdown in the 2020s (which is sensible, if you ask me, we are seeing it beginning right now.) and the US is also in all likelihood tied up in the pacific and south america.

And a Nato mutual defense case probably happened, but whatever NATO could throw into Turkey was likely curbstomped, as the Iranias/Russians/Chinese (it´d probably better to call them SCO, since they all are part or candidates for that warsaw pact replacement organisation irl anyway.) rolled right into Greece before opening peace talks through Nato friendly Israel.

History has been weirder than this at times.

Where did you get that?

One of the devs said it in a post. Can't remember who though.

They actually invaded Greece, with Greece being cut in half at the DMZ created with the Jerusalem Peace Accords. So, Israel actually seems to be a neutral party in this conflict, which is reasonable since they were probably involved in the overthrow of Irans theocratic dictatorship.

Iran is now a nationalist, possibly secular and democratic state (In a similar sense as Russia is, likely, but actually secular and not pretending to be) who got fed up with the conservative/religious direction their neighbour turkey had taken, and decided to play european world police by curbing whatever mess was going on in Turkey after a series of natural disasters.

The EU is probably in shambles after decaying through economic breakdown in the 2020s (which is sensible, if you ask me, we are seeing it beginning right now.) and the US is also in all likelihood tied up in the pacific and south america.

And a Nato mutual defense case probably happened, but whatever NATO could throw into Turkey was likely curbstomped, as the Iranias/Russians/Chinese (it´d probably better to call them SCO, since they all are part or candidates for that warsaw pact replacement organisation irl anyway.) rolled right into Greece before opening peace talks through Nato friendly Israel.

History has been weirder than this at times.

Wow... A lot of crap happened in the last 20 years haven't it... Well thanks! As weird as it is at least it put together the pieces of the story! How did you get this info?

the story for all arma games are pretty much b-movie level stuff with little geopolitical reality. i just try not to focus on the big story arc too much.

it would be nice if they went into more detail. like israel blowing themselves up with a nuke like they said they would if the enemy was at the gates, obliterating neighboring countries and allowing iran to steamroll them into one.

the story for all arma games are pretty much b-movie level stuff with little geopolitical reality. i just try not to focus on the big story arc too much.

it would be nice if they went into more detail. like israel blowing themselves up with a nuke like they said they would if the enemy was at the gates, obliterating neighboring countries and allowing iran to steamroll them into one.

Im gonna correct you on that one... Israel said it will blow the enemies country up with a nuke if the enemy is at the doorstep

Wow... A lot of crap happened in the last 20 years haven't it... Well thanks! As weird as it is at least it put together the pieces of the story! How did you get this info?

That was the background info posted on the A3 website before it got updated to the current format.

One of the devs said it in a post. Can't remember who though.

Well that sucks. Let me guess, they are now in the "Green Sea Region".

Coming in 2016, Tom Clancy's Arma 4! :)

Well that sucks. Let me guess, they are now in the "Green Sea Region".

Nah, still in the Med. I reckon. My guess is "Democratic Aegean Republic" or " Aegean Federal Republic" :)

Coming in 2016, Tom Clancy's Arma 4! :)
Pffffft, I wouldn't even be surprised, so low is my opinion of the Tom Clancy brand... and not (just) for gameplay reasons* either! Then again, I personally realized something was up after reading The Bear and the Dragon...

* I mean this in the most "I am too busy rolling my eyes at the very premise behind this Tom Clancy-branded game to even be bothered by any 'casualizing' of the gameplay, the story is even more insulting to my intelligence than the gameplay" way. Not my opinion of the Arma series though... :p

For all we know OPFOR may not even be Iran anymore, the game manual has no mention of Iran anywhere, it always says OPFOR, And the OPFOR troops have no patches on their arms ether.

Edited by StevoAU

That's not surprising at the moment, considering that right now the BLUFOR is also just BLUFOR -- for "alpha testing" purposes, the story is irrelevant..

In the mission editor Iran is mentioned in some places, also the markers list has the Iranian flag.

As for the setting of the game, personally I feel that the devs drew much of the inspiration from the Persian Wars of 6th-5th centuries BCE. Trying to force this on a futuristic setting... *shrugs*

At this point they'll simply smash the quarter-century between OA and Arma 3 into going along with their will, what's the surprise?

I am fine as long as it's better than Arma1 :bounce3:

(Arma2 actually had really good plot IMO)

I still wonder why US didn't just bomb the shit out of SLA in Arma1? Didn't Sahrani situate only a few hundred kilo from Florida?

I am fine as long as it's better than Arma1 :bounce3:

(Arma2 actually had really good plot IMO)

I still wonder why US didn't just bomb the shit out of SLA in Arma1? Didn't Sahrani situate only a few hundred kilo from Florida?

I think they didn't bomb it because of political reasons(the place was rich in Oil),plus they had soldiers in there training the Kingdom of South Sahrani Forces.

so did BI change the whole "fighting a guerilla war" thing? i was really looking forward to that.

also, i feel like nato having the tavor and the opfor having the m14 were just temporary decisions made when trying to outfit the alpha units with gear. The US in screenshots used to have the m14 and the f2000, that might still be the case, but it looks like the MX is now the regular weapon for them, and opfor have that chinese kaltiba or whatever.

im kinda hoping they don't keep these current weapon arrangements and make them not so...weird.

There was a pre-alpha screenshot though of an OPFOR rifleman with an EBR, so it's been on both sides as far as screenshots are concerned, whereas the F2000 hasn't been actually seen since 2011 except for like one screenshot.