Sign in to follow this  
Alwarren

Debugging your mission: Your friend, -showScriptErrors, and the RPT file.

Having looked at some of the missions out there, the first six or seven or so started with script errors. After that, I basically gave up.

So just to get this to everybody's attention:

Right click your Arma 3 in the steam games list. Select "Properties" and click on the "Set Launch Options" button.

In the box, add the following to your command line:

-showScriptErrors

After this, any script error will show up in game as an overlay over your Editor or in-game. It will tell you exactly if there is a problem, where the problem occurred, and what the nature of this problem is. Please make use of this feature, it will help you to make your missions better.

In addition to this, even without the command line option, keep a close eye on the RPT file. This is usually created in your My Documents\AppData\Arma 3 Alpha\<some name>.rpt file. It will protocol any in game errors, and it will always protocol script errors even if you have not enabled the showScriptErrors command line option.

• Like 1

It looks to me that the ...\Arma 3 Alpha\<some name>.rpt file is covering every single start I have ever made of the game. when using to test the last run it takes a bit to find hte file headers for that run.

I guess its ok to delete and run the game each time if i need to test a script?

I find fraps is handy to capture the ingame script errors too! Some of them come up so quick, and usually a missing ;

You can clear the rpt-file whenever you want. Even with the game running.

I never use the -showScriptErrors myself, I prefer running the game windowed and keep the rpt-file opened in notepad++.

Just be prepared to get alot of errors/warnings regardless of your mission. We're in alpha after all. :)

You just made my day. Period. My days of "hint" debugging are now over.

Use diag_log or better DevCon