Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

Driving on roads (AI)

So, I went to a trip across the island just by riding as passanger in AI-driven car with one move waypoint. As long, as we rode across wilderness I had nothing bad to say about AI's driving. Progress in comparison with A2 is big. AI's driving is aggresive, in general smooth and not so far from human driver, collisions much less likely. Problems appeared, when we reached Agia Marina town. In urban area AI keeps same driving manner, what cause lost smootheness (there is no place for such agressive approach, too sharp turns, so there was rapid accelerations and brakings alternately), still was not bad. Real problem is, that we permanently stuck at middle bridge. AI seems to be unable to cross over it.

Fatal accidents possible, when we sent two cars from opposite directions and left some people on road. Firstly both cars stops, takes quite long before they takes a try to drive around people on road, and if they choose same road side, collision is very possible with possible very unreal PhysX (?) reactions - with low speed both cars are simply ejected in the air like if the collided with high speed (so, as in many other games with that feature, there is impression, that objects have too low mass, or gravity is too low). Without people on the road (AI obstacle) one of the cars will give a way, and all could be perfect, if not that impression, that AI can drive only very agressive, so when is forced to ride slowly, as is during passing by, this looks like driver prefers "pedal to the metal or full stop" technique. Probably this not gives exact desciption - my language skills are not sufficient. Anyway in general in that case things are going rather fine. When there are non-AI obstacles on the road, and there is only one car, AI doing fine job to drive around. If obstacle is AI - also, but firstly stops and takes several seconds before that. Maybe because driver awaits for AI obstacle reaction/cooperation. BTW when I set up infantry group on the road with move waypoint, group was stuck (one member stuck in infinite animation loop on roadside barrier, there wasn't such problem with single man). When a car tries to go around single man just standing on the road - takes sometimes too flat curve, so man gets killed by car's side door hit. Usually chooses same road side (left in my case, but car from opposite direction chooses his right in the same place) even, if on the second is more road/free space.

Three-car convoys (grouped 3 cars) behaves better, than in A2, still general movement speed is lower, than for single car and following cars have sometimes serious problems with smooth riding. Rapidly stops, next car then turns aside and stops instead simply wait behind stopped one, then stopped can even without reason go reverse for a moment before take again fine following, and such...

Two such convoys on same road from opposite directions usually means troubles during passing by. Note again - "troubles", unlike in A2, usually (not always) doesn't mean collisions.

For now the AI driving it's a bit deja-vu.Convoy still has same issues with stopping/going/repeat and it's basically a mess trying to cross Agia Marina with 3 or more cars.They also get stuck on rocks and bridges are a bit no-no.

Also saw some really stupid things like two cars frontal colliding and keep accelerating,not even one of them tried to reverse and move on.Watched them for a few mins until I decided to bump into them with my Hunter and separate them.At least in A2 they tried to reverse and find additional ways.

Basically they have some ugly legacy from A2CO,since beta will be about vehicles I hope we will see some improvements here although the skeptical in me says otherwise with the experience of A2 even after trillion patches.

set them to safe mode and they will drive a lot better

Yes, tested with careless, so car is stick to the road, and in general it wasn't as bad. Most important change in plus, that I noticed, would be probably far better and more natural collision avoidance in most cases, except these "bull fights" situations when two cars collide and keep accelerate. Till more complex situations test I was under quite positive impression. Frankly, as for simply driving on road, not noticed any differencies between safe and aware. Danger is another story.

Hello there

Towns seem to confuse the AI drastically, It's a shame, but hopefully it will be improved, i'm not expecting miracles though. The move seems to be towards MP in general so I wonder if we will see any improvement or will have to wait for a community AI fix, al la Zeus etc

rgds

LoK