Sign in to follow this  
AbortedMan

Programming your Razer Nostromo for ArmA

This is meant to be a response to a PM I received from ColinCJ, but he has his profile set to not receive PMs, so I can't reply...I'm leaving the response here so that he may find it since I can't actually send it to his inbox.

I've slightly edited my Nostromo keys from default to better suit the plethora of keys games like ArmA requires. I've incorporated the ctrl, alt, and shift buttons into the profile so I can use them as key modifiers. Thankfully, ArmA recognizes shift+<button>, ctrl+<button>, and alt+<button> combinations. I've bound the bottom left most keys to ctrl and alt so that I can hold it and press every other key as needed comfortably, this triples the amount of effective keys available, for example, I have the D-pad bound to the arrow keys...when I press the right D-Pad key, ArmA detects the right arrow key and zooms my view (I've changed the command in the control options menu "lock or reveal target", which toggles zoom, to right arrow) but when I hold the bottom left ctrl key with my pinkie and press the right D-pad key it changes my selected hand grenade type (I've changed the "select grenade" keybind to ctrl+right arrow). It allows one button to do two, three, or even four different things using the normal press, press with ctrl held, press with alt held, press with shift held.

I've used this very effectively to conveniently bind keys that I find myself not needing at a split-second's notice. Currently, I have select grenade, step over, change optics, GPS, and throw grenade usable only when pressing certain buttons with ctrl.

I use the round black thumb-button (orange button on older Belkin Nostromos) to change my weapons (ctrl+orange button to throw grenade) which allows quick reaction since the button is so conveniently located and accessible. I base a lot of choosing which buttons do what based on the frequency that I press them. If you use a command, like sprint, very often like I do, it's imperative that you make that button easy and quick to press...I've bound sprint to button 10 on the Nostromo (default keybind in the Nostromo software is F).

Here is a link to a picture of my Nostromo binds. You don't have to copy them verbatim. It's most important that you go through the entire list of commands within the ArmA controls menu and rebind everything according to where you want them on the Nostromo...nevermind the default ArmA binds, just clear and unbind them as you go and replace them with what you want.

Here is a link to my ArmA keybind config file. I'm not sure if this will work, but if you rename it to your player name and copy it to your My Documents/ArmA 3 Alpha/<player name> the game should pick it up. You should probably create a new test profile within the game (this is done in the options menu under profile) so it does not overwrite your original keybinds in case you don't like it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14029139/%5B...ed%2520Man.rar

Here's a pic of my what my Nostromo is bound to

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14029139/NostromoKeys.PNG (197 kB)

This last link is the .ini from my Macros profile. When you import this into the Razer Nostromo software it will allow you to use the macros I've made for the one-press stance adjustments. To import this, download the Macros.ini file to somewhere on your computer using the link, in the Razer Nostromo software click the "manage profiles" tab up top, click "import", find and select the Macros.ini file. This should load my two macros into the program.

To assign those macros to a Nostromo key, go back to the "assign buttons" tab and click on any of the keys from the list. You'll see a dropdown menu open up, click "Macro Playback", a menu will come up, using the drop down menu there select "Stance Up" or "Stance Down" according to whichever you want it to do. I used "Up" on the D-Pad for stance up, and "Down" on the D-pad for stance down, but you can change it to whatever you want.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14029139/Macros.rar

To get the macros working without changing what the macros do, you must bind "adjust stance" in the ArmA controls menu to "alt" and move forward and move back must be bound to "W" and "S".

I'm sure you'll have more questions, sorry if this was a bit long-winded. Send me a message if you need more help.

I received a pm from Colin too, saw an old post where I mentioned I had a Nos..

I am in the middle of sorting the best setup for A3, still working it out. For A2 I had the first keymap for general movement, zoom, hit the ground quick, weapon down, step over, lean, deploy weapon (although not using ace now so that will have to change) etc

Second keymap was a snipers config, many of the keys from the first keymap I repeated, but with some keys changed specifically for sniper, as in wind/drop/elevation etc alterations (again ace so rethink needed).

Walk, freelook, change scope, reload, mirrors etc are bound to my mouse. Between the two I rarely touch my keyboard..

The best idea would be to know what you want on your Nos, general movement is quite easy to setup. When I first got mine, while back now, I spent a long time sorting through setups, it can be a bit daunting as there is so much you can do with it. But generally, anything to do with movement that is used constantly, should be bound to your Nos keymap 1 & your mouse, then say sniper mode on the next keymap and so on. I have keymap 3 for commanding units, but I’m going to change that too.

I have just bought a TIR5 so this is going to mean changing again certain buttons, so again, once I get sorted I will add my config below @abortedman’s here. He has put on a pretty comprehensive guide for you, for the first keymap, mines different to that in some respects but others are the same, I can see what he's going for there.

I would try that above (@abortedman) as a straight copy to begin with, you will probably find over time you change keys here and there but its a first step into Nostromo use. Once your used to keymap 1 setup 2 and so on, only take a day or so to get used to using it.

Never look back once you start using one of these, best used with a configurable mouse too..

I am just getting into Arma, with 3 being my 1st one played. Ive seen the razer nostromo before but never had a reason to buy one. Now after seeing all of the controls i started to give it a second thought. So i would like to know how well you like it for this game in particular, but others as well. My understanding of the gameboard is that instead of having your keybindings spread over the entire keyboard, you have it all in a smaller, more accessible area. Is that the reason for ever getting something like the Nostromo?

Yeah basically, but the experience that it adds to gaming is essential. Not only do you have many more buttons easily accessible to your one hand, but its exponentially more comfortable. Also, having a nostromo has afforded me a habit of fully exploring the options/controls screen of every new game I play, before I play...something that surprisingly not a lot of people do. It gives me the chance to fully discover what the game is capable of and makes the initial impression of a game much more digestible.

After using a nostromo, I couldn't imagine gaming without one.

In your opinion, which is better? Nostromo or orbweaver? Another question is, the D-pad, is it like a controller stick (analog) or is it just like a POV HAT button on joystick?

In your opinion, which is better? Nostromo or orbweaver? Another question is, the D-pad, is it like a controller stick (analog) or is it just like a POV HAT button on joystick?

I hadn’t seen the Orbweaver, it looks a step up from the Nostromo probably just for the fact it has, a forth row of buttons, the rest is pretty similar. The design of the Orbweaver is more sleek which looks really good. I may well upgrade to this, now I have seen it, I quite like the look of it. Not sure however if that forth row of buttons maybe awkward to use. On the Nostromo you can alter the palm rest but not the thumb fitting, but thats more or less where you want it anyway for a normal sized hand.

Oh and no, the thumb stick is not analogue, which is a shame really.

Nostromo. Best thing that ever happened to me in the gaming world. Ever since the Belkin version came out, I couldn't use anything else to play my games. Ergonomically speaking it fits perfectly in my palm. In terms of functionality it comes close to perfection, specially when you're making hot-switches between your key profiles. It's like having the whole keyboard in your left hand once you get used to it. Combine that with a Naga and you have no shortage of easy access buttons for Arma!!!

Recommended!

Guys I am real sorry, Just joined the forum and have not had time to sort out my forum settings.

Thank you so much for the information above, the Razor is a great bit of gear especially if you have physical problems, it has helped me to play games before I could not.

But again thank you for the replies.

Colin.

I'm using the Nos.

Basically I unbound everything -- everything -- then began binding things one by one on whatever felt the most intuitive until I had bound pretty much everything... only problem is I'm not perfectly sure what some commands do.

XADKJ98.jpg

ESC where I can reach it easily. Same with Shift and Ctrl.

Shift is turbo and hold breath but don't worry about anything strange happening because sprinting and holding your breath at the same time is not possible so your breath won't drain faster or anything like that. Crysis-style.

Ctrl has to be adjust since it's the only button that works well with mouse buttons like the mid mouse button, I think.

QWEASD works as usual with W+S to toggle combat pace and S+W to toggle walking pace which works great and I never toggle the wrong one but there is a slight awkward pause when toggling since you're holding forward and backward at the same time.

R to reload, G to grenade, Ctrl+G to cycle grenades. Pretty basic. I've bound G instead of F simply because grenading is more common than flashlighting in games nowadays.

ZXC to stand, crouch, prone which may seem redundant (you could have Z be up and Ctrl+Z be prone to do it all on one button) but it's very intuitive since there's three buttons right there on the Nos just waiting to be used.

Pgup and Pgdown and enter for next, previous and use default/selected command which works really nice. Pressing the scroll wheel switches keymaps so I don't use it for anything in particular in ArmA.

Alt on button 16 where it is extremely easy to reach, easy to press and generally makes looking around a breeze.

Up is map, upup is hide map (up can't hide map, bug?), Ctrl+up is diary, down is compass, gps and watch, downdown is toggle compass, gps and watch, Ctrl+down is gear. Right is binos, ctrl+right is NV and left/ctrl+left is zero up/down.

For communication I use the keyboard since 123, F1F2F3 can't be rebound and § (~ for Americans) and backspace and all is right there.

The reason I use enter instead of space is a bug I had where pressing space in the first Showcase causes the music to restart instead of doing anything else so I'm using enter instead. I'm considering binding M instead of up to get around the upup bug too.