Sign in to follow this  
NordKindchen

Arma 3: Explosions and effects - still work in progress?

Arma 3 in general looks beautiful. Ok there are some improvements to be made in the midrange but close and far distances are allready a feast for the eyes.

Also - the tracers and muzzle flashes look great too!

But what about the explosions? They really dont fit into the picture!

At first I was eager to see my first mortar shell hitting the ground! Now that I saw how it looked like - I mainly try to look at them as few as possible...

To be honest: The explosions look as if they were copied out of Arma 2. And thats not a good thing.

I didnt bring up this topic till now since by the look of them - I was pretty sure the explosions would be placeholders. But now that I though about it again - I feel this needs to be addressed at this point!

A very simple way to improve the explosions would be to change the colour! I worked as a gameartist for years and as such I can telle you - grey is never the right colour to choose! Either the mortarexplosions should be more white like the smoke grenades(example) or more black at the top!

Btw: The smoke shells look quite nice to me! The explosions on the other hand not at all.

There is still much to improve regarding the explosions!

Best regards!

Absolutely agreed. I was having a very similar thought about whether they were placeholder graphics or not. Regardless, a bit more intensity to the explosions and a change in the colour of the smoke would make a world of difference.

Also it would be nice if smoke plumes would go higher/further and be far more persistant. Real smoke/dust doesn't clear anywhere NEAR as quickly as it seems to in Arma3.

Yeah... the do look better than A2 I would say, but there should be some improvement though. What bothers me are the horrible burned-exploded-car textures with the fire spawning from the middle of the model... those are indeed copy-paste. Maybe it´s all a placeholder, or to some extend.

I'll hope and assume with you all that they are placeholders. If it's the same during beta testing then I might get worried. I agree with r3volution too that the smoke doesn't really rise high enough or last long enough. A side topic to this conversation as well, is it just me or does the "burnt out" texture for destroyed vehicles not appear until you are within a certain range? There's been a few times where I'll be approaching a seemingly intact ifrift only to have it suddenly appear as a charred and burnt out hull.

though i really wish they improve, i have very little hope of that actually happening. pretty much the same old A2 explosions and effects.

out of all the mortar is the best looking though.

Please do not bump old threads without adding anything significant. Thank you!

If you wish to discuss particles or explosion effects, please use the already existing threads.