Sign in to follow this  
massi

UK Special Forces Arma3Alpha

I have a friend who is an accountant. Does that make me an expert on tax returns?

My point is, it's a fair train of conversation to aid Massi with his addon by suggesting improvents based on fact and reference. Offering ideas/statements based purely on conjecture and 'my mate in the SAS' is neither, regardless of how truthful or well intentioned they may be. And to those questioning 'yet another reskin' - download the tools, and figure out how many hours you have to put into an addon to make something entirely new and playable. Be grateful for what you're given for zero effort on your part.

[edit] I mostly repeated what fluttershy wrote, but perhaps in more formulated manner ;)

Plus: If i ever got 1 cent for every person claiming "my friends speshul forces derp" i would be rich.

Just because there are a lot of people who claim that doesn't mean you have to tarnish those with legitimate reason to say something like that with the same brush...

And before anyone asks no I obviously can't give out his name on an internet forum, that would be stupid. Naturally you will probably think I'm making this up because of that... and that every other guy who says it comes up with some excuse like it. Go ahead and think what you want, he's not going to suddenly stop existing because you don't believe me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a friend who is an accountant. Does that make me an expert on tax returns?

I guess that depends on how much time you have spent discussing tax returns with him. If you spend all your free time discussing tax returns I guess it would be possible.

However, I never once mentioned the word expert or that I had expert knowledge. The only thing I have said I have fairly solid info on is the fact that there is no 'set camo uniform' for SAS but that is fairly common knowledge anyway. Everything else I said I saw using images... which I got from google if you must know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't care what he calls his mod partly because it's his mod and partly because I don't possess the texturing skills to do any better. He can call it "UK Super Mounted Unicorn Brigade camo" if he wants. I think it's awesome and have been using it since it was released.

Hell, the game is 20-25ish years in the future... If he wants to make up a new pattern/gun and call it "UKSF Camo pattern/gun 2035" then that's cool with me, if it looks good I'll download it!

Edited by Ginga121

That depends, can you do mine? :p

I've seen plenty of images of the British SAS in Afghanistan wearing either full DDPM or MTP... as well as a mixture between DDPM, DPM and MTP. So what he has added could be SAS or it could be regular British troops. If I make him an SAS beret to add to the mod would that make them SAS?

"sigh" The point wasnt a camo. SAS use many kind camos, but there is more, like a different vest, weapons, and helmets. And this suit cutting is still same like normal arma 3 soldiers have(crye gen2), and britis dpm/ddpm camos have S95 cuttings. There is very big differences. It same like some one is making ww2 mod, they need change very much stuff. So they do not look the same, like orginal.

"sigh" The point wasnt a camo. SAS use many kind camos, but there is more, like a different vest, weapons, and helmets. And this suit cutting is still same like normal arma 3 soldiers have(crye gen2), and britis dpm/ddpm camos have S95 cuttings. There is very big differences. It same like some one is making ww2 mod, they need change very much stuff. So they do not look the same, like orginal.

Maybe in 2035 they're using Crye cut uniforms instead of ancient CS95 and PCS cut uniforms?

In any case, Massi is a texture artist, not a modeller so has to work within the limits of what is available to him. If he wants to call them "SAS", "SBS", or "Princess Catherine's Own Royal Regiment of Merry Elves" it's up to him, but if you can't use your imagination to that extent in a game that is already set 23 years in the future and is seemingly reflected likewise in the context of this addon - that's up to you.

I'm yet to see the part of Massi's post in any of his threads where he states that he's trying to make 100% accurate representations of modern day OMON, DEVGRU or Il Nono/COMBUSIN operators, rather than reskins inspired by these units placed in the context of the Arma 3 setting, let alone such a statement for these UKSF skins. Seems a bit silly to hound him about it when it's something completely outside of the intended scope of his addon.

I'm yet to see the part of Massi's post in any of his threads where he states that he's trying to make 100% accurate representations of modern day OMON, DEVGRU or Il Nono/COMBUSIN operators, rather than reskins inspired by these units placed in the context of the Arma 3 setting, let alone such a statement for these UKSF skins. Seems a bit silly to hound him about it when it's something completely outside of the intended scope of his addon.

But i think nobody gonna do realistic addons. :( There will be just 2035 imagination forces, good guys with m4:s and bad guys with ak:s. Like i said, "good work", im not saying it is bad, but for me it just a new camo addon, nothing else...

Ah my bad! In future you need to say something like that first haha! From your original post it simply sounded like you meant he just recoloured it and it wasn't right. I had no idea you meant that he hadn't used the correct plate carriers.

@da12thMonkey I have to agree with you there. Modelling is a lot harder and more complicated than skinning anyway. +1

I would love to be able to to 3D modeling. I'd probably make some silly made-up gun for the future :P Playing with modern firearms over and over can get a bit tedious. It would be nice to see some new designs. Obviously I don't want laser gun style weapons, lasers are boring

UKSF are, at the moment, using Crye Combat kit in Multicam - MTP is generally used if they want to mix in with the regular forces. That said, I know for a fact regular infantry guys have worn Crye Combats out in theatre, simply because they are a damn sight more comfortable than PCS trousers and strapped-on kneepads. That combined with the fact that EVERYONE loves gucci kit.

I am sure they also keep DPM/DDPM for other uses. This is UKSF after all; if it works, they'll probably wear it.

UKSF are, at the moment, using Crye Combat kit in Multicam - MTP is generally used if they want to mix in with the regular forces. That said, I know for a fact regular infantry guys have worn Crye Combats out in theatre, simply because they are a damn sight more comfortable than PCS trousers and strapped-on kneepads. That combined with the fact that EVERYONE loves gucci kit.

I am sure they also keep DPM/DDPM for other uses. This is UKSF after all; if it works, they'll probably wear it.

Thanks in next update I'll include a multicam version too ;)

Best regards

massi

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking they only wear Military-issue kit - have a look at the single-colour "tactical soft shells" by people like Triple Aught Design, or Arcteryx.

Thanks for this addon - the DPM camo looks great! :D

I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into this, must have taken some hours.

I've noticed a couple of things:

1) The readme in this pack references items in the italian SF pack you created - for example:

faulty-readme.png

I don't have the italian pack, so was ripping my hair out trying to figure out why i wasn't able to add items to my soldier - I opened the config using eliteness, and they are all prefixed with uk

HEADGEAR

"H_mas_uk_HelmetB", "H_mas_uk_HelmetB_paint"

Maybe an update to the readme, or even a pdf would be great, like you've done with the your weapons pack, very useful.

2) Also, when I open the unit editor by double clicking on the map, I get this error pop-up each time:

arma3error.png

3) And, would it be possible to add Black boots to some of the DPM uniforms? A small niggle yes, but a bit of variance would be great.

Thanks again for this great pack, I look forward to some updates. :yay: