Sign in to follow this  
Alabatross

Can you render grass where the scope is aimed & will there be ghillie suits?

Laying down or using the grass as cover feels really effective at first, and then I remember what other people are seeing me as....

A guy laying on playstation 2 quality terrain with some scattered bushes. I understand there needs to be LOD for performance, and while I do think the medium distance textures completely ruin the quality of the game thats not really what this thread is about.

Would it be possible to render the grass cards where the (sniper) scope is being aimed? Maybe even with super low quality shadows? Basically like where your crosshair points at the terrain, there would be a radius around that point that does render grass. Edit: Nevermind, maturin makes a good point. But distance fighting is still a problem

Oh and will there be ghillie suits? If so this idea would help greatly :) otherwise you just look like a wookie laying on smeared green colors

Edited by Alabatross

This only works in theory. Since scopes in ArmA aren't always zoomed in two feet away from the ground like in the movies, you still spend most of the time looking at the horizon, and dozens of square kilometers of area. Think how this is going to work in practice, with every movement you make spawning and despawning football fields of grass decal.

I think this is needed.

I get sad when i lay in the grass, thinking i have good cover, when suddenly it is crossing my mind that my enemies see me laying right in the open at flat ground.

What would be ideal imho is a different grass for lower settings, that are much uglier than the HD one and as a result a whole lot less demanding, but that would still provide about the same coverage, even it they must use minecraft's grass textures. That way the lowest settings is as it should be, less demanding but uglier, instead of clearer and more effective like it's always been.

I think this is needed.

I get sad when i lay in the grass, thinking i have good cover, when suddenly it is crossing my mind that my enemies see me laying right in the open at flat ground.

Is the AI taking your grass into consideration over long distances?

Anyway, playing without scopes would be a (terribly disappointing) way to avoid this problem.

AI is affected by grass, although it's not quite right. (The fault of the shooter detection routine, more than the grass itself.)

User Elcoo has post what, IMHO, is a fantastic compromise. I hope the devs seriously consider the feasibility of adding it. (View the thread here.)

Hi, this is one of the things that i had the hope to see changed, grass on scopes, but seems that it just won't be; it's easyer to see a man laying on the ground at 400m than find him laying at 20m. It's very sad. Let's C ya

As much as I'd love to have a rig where I could see grass as far as my view distance, it does nothing but harm you in PvP. It's sad, really...