Sign in to follow this  
terox

The reason why we are spawning as seagulls

If you have been playing on the MP servers over the last few hours or so you will have noticed that you may have been spawning as a seagull at the start of missions.

or

You are unable to take a slot in the player assignment screen (Caused by same bug)

The facts

This issue started roughly when the latest development build (0.5.102980 dev) was made available and is widespread over a lot of servers.

logic dictates that this is going to be an engine bug not some script kiddie or hacker.

Fortunately there is a Server admin Skype channel, where this type of information can be discussed relatively quickly.

The general conscenus of this channel is:

If a client running the latest development build of arma3 connects to a server, they will cause a bug to occur which spawns players as seagulls.

So to re-iterate, this is highly suspected of being an engine bug nothing more.

BIS are aware of this and i would suspect this will be a priority for them when they start work in the morning

There are rumours that this is caused by cheaters/hackers/script kiddies.

If you don't know how to prove these suspicions or cannot prove them please don't spread malicious rumours which does nobody any good.

If you don't know how to run the Development version and want too, this is how you do it

1) Open Steam

2) Select library

3) Right click on ArmA3 & select properties

4) Select Beta tab

in the drop down box, select "development-Development Build"

ArmA3 will then automatically update if it isnt running

If in the future you want to revert to a stable build, simply undo the option and the ArmA3 version will roll back to the last stable

just some input on this.... i noticed yesterday that this was happening when a certain player joined.....i am friends with the guy running the server and when a certain player joined everyone was made a seagul he then started laughing in global we reset the server and again this happened..... maybe 6-7 times it happened so if these guys arent hacking then they know what they are doing and causing us problems..... i left a game which i loved because of hackers/exploiters and would hate to have to do that again...

It´s a confirmed Bug. I was someone who thought this was a Hack aswell in the first place :P

Currently there´s only the workaround to update your Server to DevBuild and then force players to do so aswell. I think we have to wait for a patch.

It´s a confirmed Bug. I was someone who thought this was a Hack aswell in the first place :P

Currently there´s only the workaround to update your Server to DevBuild and then force players to do so aswell. I think we have to wait for a patch.

devbuild?

whats the difference with these builds im not to computer-wise so dunno what the difference is?

i downloaded it from steam on saturday thats all i know how will i uodate? what difference does it make?

Thanks for clearing this up and finding the source of the error Terox, i did read this last night.

yes it did get confusing and at first i did think the scripters from A2 had joined the server, later to find out what the problem really is.

but i did get quite good at flying the seagull and think BIS should implement chain guns to them. now that would take the game to a whole new level lol.

Awesome, well i've put it as BETA dev build as I'm getting the seagull with the stable build and going to try it now :)

Cheers dude and hopefully you're right and gets sorted soon! :) ARMA 3 is awesome, Alpha is going great

Anybody know why everybody changes into a bird every time i try to join a server? I have no idea why this happens and I get kicked for it. Can anyone explain to me why this happens and get rid of it?

Anybody know why everybody changes into a bird every time i try to join a server? I have no idea why this happens and I get kicked for it. Can anyone explain to me why this happens and get rid of it?

I've heard tale that it's the latest dev patch that's causing this. Either a player initiated it, or you're running it. No confirmation as of yet, afaik.

But i know im running it, unintentially, but what is it that im running that is causing this?

But i know im running it, unintentially, but what is it that im running that is causing this?

Its when you connect with the Developer Build on a Server which runs the Stable Build.

From the latest DEV patch onwards

if your are running DEV you will not be able to connect to stable servers

If you are running stable you will not be able to connect to DEV servers

Had this issue:

init.sqf was trying to execVM missing script

if you do this on client, you see error message and must click continue,

same probably happens on server, but you can't click continue -> server didn't finish initialization -> players spawn as seagulls

Fixed by:

Add -noLogs to server params, this will cause the server to not care about errors (and not show them nor log them).

Or fix your missing scripts.

there is nothing like you  have to click on a button when the server is missing a script... it just logs it and continues...

i personally wouldnt run any server with -noLogs at all as they are essential to inform us (serveradmins) about whats going on...