Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

Respawns absolutely will NOT work!

Hey, so I've been trying to add respawns to a mission I made and I absolutely cannot get it to work no matter what I do, I've followed two different video tutorials word by word and no matter what I do I cannot respawn in my mission despite playing in multiplayer mode as you're supposed to.

I have the description.ext saved in my documents folder under profile/missions, alternatively I've tried saving it in "usersaved/missions/missionname" and regardless of which one I try it won't work, I have exported the mission to MPmissions of course. I'm using other scripts and such that work just fine so I'm not sure why this won't work.

Here's all I have in description.ext

respawn = "INSTANT";

respawnDelay = "15";

respawnDialog = "1";

I've tried the BASE respawn type with a marker named respawn_west, that also didn't work.

Hey, so I've been trying to add respawns to a mission I made and I absolutely cannot get it to work no matter what I do, I've followed two different video tutorials word by word and no matter what I do I cannot respawn in my mission despite playing in multiplayer mode as you're supposed to.

I have the description.ext saved in my documents folder under profile/missions, alternatively I've tried saving it in "usersaved/missions/missionname" and regardless of which one I try it won't work, I have exported the mission to MPmissions of course. I'm using other scripts and such that work just fine so I'm not sure why this won't work.

Here's all I have in description.ext

respawn = "INSTANT";

respawnDelay = "15";

respawnDialog = "1";

I've tried the BASE respawn type with a marker named respawn_west, that also didn't work.

respawn = "3";

respawnDelay = "15";

respawnDialog = "1";

make a marker ingame and call it "respawn_west" or "respawn_east". done

the description.txt goes into your missions name folder - for example make a game and call it attackthetown.

then going documents/Arma 3 Alpha/yourname/MPmissions/attackthetown.

there you place the description.txt.

then as stated above respawn = "3";

respawnDelay = "15";

respawnDialog = "1";

make a marker ingame and call it "respawn_west" or "respawn_east". done

if this does not work then something is wrong with either you game - doubt it, or there is something in one of your scripts that may be preventing it - are you using any revive script?

Quotes are not needed in the description.ext

respawn = INSTANT;

respawnDelay = 15;

respawnDialog = 1;

also the description.ext only goes in the same folder as your mission, same place the mission.sqm is.

be sure to place the marker respawn_west if you use the base respawn.

For instant respawn no marker is needed as you will respawn where you died.

there is no folder with my name on it or my profile name on it, nor have I seen it that way in other tutorials.

This is what's in my documents/arma 3 alpha folder

capturenag.png

Also is the description file supposed to be .ext or .txt? I've seen everyone name it .ext.

I've been saving it to my user missions then saving as to my MPmissions once I've done all the scripting etc.

sorry slightly duff info - description.ext - typo

respawnDelay = 6;

respawn = "BASE";

disabledAI = 1;

RespawnDialog = 0;

quote used for string inputs, none needed for integers within the description.ext

in the pic - you need to enter the MPMissions folder, and then your mission should be in there

Just tried Rogue and Gunter's advice, neither worked. The only script I have in this mission I'm testing it with is for vehicle respawns, I've tried it in another mission that only has a script for random AI patrols.

Is there something else that could be interfering with it? Difficulty level maybe?

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

There's nothing in my MPmissions folder in my documents.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

I'll try to make a brand new mission and see if it'll work.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

I figured it out, it wasn't working because the file was saving as a .txt.

For anyone that has this same problem, when creating the description.ext file:

Create new text document>DO NOT NAME IT>Open the text document>Enter the respawn text>Save As with title description.ext>Make sure "ALL FILES" is selected in the file type field before clicking save!

I was naming it before opening so when I saved as it would replace the text file and not make it into a .ext but leave it .txt so it wasn't being read by the mission.

Thanks for your help guys.

Also is the description file supposed to be .ext or .txt? I've seen everyone name it .ext.

its Description.ext

thats it nothing else.

I'm testing it with is for vehicle respawns

Well that explains why it dont work, because your using infantry codes to respawn vehicles.

This is only for infantry if you use a marker that is named respawn_west

respawn = INSTANT;

respawnDelay = 15;

respawnDialog = 1;

This is only for vehicles if you use a marker that is named respawn_vehicle_west

respawn = INSTANT;

respawnDelay = 15;

respawnDialog = 1;

so both can be used but the marker must be named accordingly.

however respawn vehicle is not the same as respawning a vehicle that is empty, if you use the code above you will respawn with the vehicle,

i suggest using a script linked below where you can place an empty vehicle, tank, or helicopter, and all you need is the script's code to be put in the vehicle's init line.

[ALPHA] Simple Vehicle Respawn

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18791

Create new text document>DO NOT NAME IT>Open the text document>Enter the respawn text>Save As with title description.ext>Make sure "ALL FILES" is selected in the file type field before clicking save!

I was naming it before opening so when I saved as it would replace the text file and not make it into a .ext but leave it .txt so it wasn't being read by the mission.

Good discovery of your mistake, i made this years ago when i first started messing around with respawns, it is frustrating,

but failing is what makes you better, glad you figured that part out.

Normally i use Armaedit to create my scripts, which already has the name of the files setup, you just need to add your codes,

and then save as description, if you want to use it you can find it here:

ArmA Edit

it has a patch

ArmA Edit Patch

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Thank you for the link, I will definitely use that.

Sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eye even to figure a problem out on your own lol.

Happy to help, editing is a long journey in this game, simple stuff is not simple at first, like anything but you will figure it out if you keep trying

and keep asking questions, sometimes just putting it down and coming back to it you'll get it, other times you need to ask, usually you want

to search first on the forums here, so keep that in mind.

I myself am still learning how to do new things, and even better what I already know.

What comes to mind for me if your interested is setting up a mobile respawn, considering I dont own the Alpha sorry to say but my computer wont

be able to run it, but I'm looking for someone to test this script out for me, its very simple, would you be interested?

If your PC can run ArmA 2 or Iron front I'm absolutely certain you can play A3 no problem, it has virtually the same performance for me as A2 did.

But yeah I'd be happy to test a mobile spawn script, I've actually been looking for one so perfect timing!

Ya my computer runs Arma2Co np but on low settings and small battles which i prefer anyways, and same for IF.

But Arma3 is vista only now, and heres what Im running:

operating system is Win xp 32bit

i have an AMD 2.4 Single core CPu

nvidia geforce Gtx 285 1024 mem

750 watt psu

2gb ram

I know Im missing out but i cannot afford to upgrade, probably not til close til final release of the game.

But yeah I'd be happy to test a mobile spawn script, I've actually been looking for one so perfect timing!

cool, i been wanting to see if it would work in A3, it should, works in IF, and Arma2CO, most coding is universal with this engine so you can use it across games.

let me get back to you with the script and how to set it up, im currently working on something in another forum.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Alright, heres what you need to setup a mobile respawn:

What this does

This will allow you to respawn at a vehicle you define by the script, so in the example and scripts below

the name which is what is defined is named car

==============================

1. Name a vehicle car this will be your respawn vehicle

2. create an init script and put in it:

init.sqf

execVM "respawnmkr.sqf";

3. create another script name it:

respawnmkr.sqf

while {true} do { //moves markers defines in editor to the position of vehicle every 10seconds
"Respawn_West" setmarkerpos getpos car; 
sleep 10; 
};

4. create another script (if you already have this then use it)

description.ext

respawn = base;
respawndelay = 3;

5. create a marker name it

respawn_west for blufor, the code is set for blufor if you want opfor which would be respawn_east then you

need to define it that in the code in step 3 and create a marker in your mission accordingly.

The marker will attach itself to the car, and when your driving around, go to your map and you should see the marker moving along with you,

you are essentially the marker. When you die you will respawn on or around the vehicle.

============================

put that together and test it out see how she runs.

Yeah works just fine, you respawn just outside the car.

I didn't want to start another thread, but how would you go about setting to respawn on the group? For instance I have a 5 player coop mission and I want to set it so that when you respawn, you respawn close to the group, wherever they are.

Beautiful! i figured it would work.

keep in mind you can do the same for opfor too, just rename the marker to respawn_east, and then change the code in step 2 "Respawn_West" to "Respawn_East"

If your looking for more scripts, i have all sorts especially for respawns.

I have a couple menu respawn types, where you can choose from a menu (obviously) where you want to respawn, and delete body scripts, ect,.

if you looking for something give me a shout, and I might be able to walk you through it.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Ha you posted right before me, i was replying to redpiano

but how would you go about setting to respawn on the group?

Well what you do is setup a description.ext and then instead of base respawn you do group.

You have a respawn script already or no?

No, I've only ever done SP missions just for myself. Now with ArmA 3 I've got a couple friends and they wanna play so I'm trying to learn some of the more advanced scripting so I can make better missions.

Ok, Heres what you need to do, follow the steps below:

Setting up a group respawn

1. Open notepad and paste the following code in it:

respawn = group;
respawndelay = 5;

note that respawndelay is the amount of time before you will respawn, so basically it means then when you die,

you will have to wait for 5 seconds before you respawn.

Now if you wanted that to be longer like lets say 20 seconds then just change the number to 20.

2. Save the notepad file you just created, but save it as (very important this step or it wont work)

save the notepad with this name exactly:

Description.ext

not Description.ext.txt or Description.text, but Description.ext nothing else!

3. make sure the units in your mission are set to playable, as then when you and your friends join then you have soldiers

you can spawn in as, so to repeat, you need by default a player unit soldier, and then unit soldiers that are set to playable, and

make as many units to make playable as you need based on the number of friends.

*Then you need to synchronize (F5) each playable unit to the player, or to one person dont matter.

Now lets say you have 5 playable slots, and only you and 2 friends join the mission, what will happen when you get ingame when

you and your friends are ingame is the 2 remaining units that were not chosen will be standing there as AI soldiers, so what we

do is add a code to the script we just created in step 1.

the code to add will be:

disabledAI = 1;

this code will disable/remove any AI units that are not being used by players.

so update the script with the new code, and make what you made in step 1 look like this:

respawn = group;
respawndelay = 5;
disabledAI = 1;

4. Now that you have that setup, you need to move the script you created the Description.ext to the folder of your mission.

You will need to locate the mission you or a friend made in the editor and put the script into that folder, the folder address will be different with steam,

so what I will show you is my folder address for the editor for me (I dont have Arma3) so i will use Arma2CO folder directory to give you an example,

hopefully you will be able to figure this out for your setup.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gunter Severloh\My Documents\ArmA 2\missions

this is where when i save a mission in the sp editor my mission folders end up.

Remember when you save a mission in the editor a folder with the same name is created with an map extention on it,

for example it would look like wargames.map, inside the mission folder is a script the editor creates, it is titled mission

If you were to right click the mission script it will tell you that its an SQF, which is a script format/language that the game uses.

I hope that small tutorial explains everything clear enough, let me know if you have any troubles but that should do it.

I will be back in the afternoon to check the forums again.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Forgot to add that you need to sync all players to the player for the group respawn to work.

I will update the existing post to reflect this.

Looks good, just added it in and it shows group respawn under the mission description in the multiplayer host section. I'll test it out later once some of my buddies get on. Thanks for the help.

Another question, but how hard is it to save the loadout and have them spawn with the loadout that they died with, rather than the one they started the mission with?

Do I need to sync (F5) all the players or just have them grouped using (F2)?

Your welcome.

Do I need to sync (F5) all the players or just have them grouped using (F2)?

Either or, it will be easier to just create a group though, but you will still need to edit each unit to make them playable,

which i find time consuming and tedious so if and when you get the chance see my thread here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149002-Make-multiple-units-playable-at-once-amp-other-editor-option-features&p=2326350#post2326350

and vote on the ticket linked, we have been editing like this from the start of the series and I been aiming to change that, spread the word so we can get BIS to implement these features, it will make editing a whole lot easier and less time consuming.

Another question, but how hard is it to save the loadout and have them spawn with the loadout that they died with,

rather than the one they started the mission with?

Not hard at all, I highly recommend this script, i use the Arma2Co version all the time:

Universal Weapons Respawn Script

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1554&highlight=UNIVERSAL+WEAPONS+RESPAWN+SCRIPT

Try it out just move the script to your mission folder like you did the other script, and then add the code to each player's init line,

you will need to name each unit though.

Look at that page and see if you can figure it out, if your still having trouble then post your reply, I'll help you out.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

I tried both my missions where I enabled respawns with a friend of mine. Neither mission had respawns though.

respawn = group;

respawndelay = 10;

disabledAI = 1;

That's what my Description.ext looks like. I know it's being read because the disabled AI portion works. I tried it with both groups linked using just F2 and then with them linked with F2 and synch'd with F5.

So your saying you made 2 groups into one group correct?, as you need to be in the group for group respawn to work.

Use only one group.

Remove disabledAI = 1;

with group respawn.

It's separate individual soldiers I place down, then grouped using F2. So AFAIK just the 1 group of 4-5 individual soldiers.

Weird it should work then. Problem is I dont have Arma3 and wont be getting it til I can upgrade my computer as currently

my computer doesn't meet the requirements for the OS and the cpu.

Is it possible you can do the same thing in Arma2CO and then send me the mission so i can look at it, Do you have Arma2, or Arma2CO?

It should be something simple that is not working, as I have done a group respawns many times before and had no issues with respawning.