Sign in to follow this  
kleaver

Cannot memory map file res/addons/o.pbo

Seeings as The post I added in the other thread seems to get no replies, I will Try Again as I would like to see if anyone has an ideas how to fix this.

Fresh install of OFP with Red Hammer (CD version) Patched to 1.46

Installed Resistance

No Additional Addons or Extra Maps have been added. It is just clean install off the official CDRoms

OFP 1.46 runs fine not a problem from the 1.46 exe

Resistance will not run at all get the cannot memory map file 'Res\addons\o.pbo' error message.

Tried Installing from different CD drives, Copied the files manually over. Removed whole OFP installation and reinstalled all 3 times, but still same result.

Tried 4 different video drivers upto the latest leaked version.

Tried setting all the pref options to minimum and 640 x480x16 still same problem. OFP 1.46 runs fine at 1024x768x32 everything on max.

No crash logs have been generated, so cannot post them

System Info

P4 1.7 (Socket 423)

Asus P4B Intel 850 Mainboard

512MB RDRam (Swap file set to use up to 780MB - 1.5GB)

40GB hd (installed on has 5GB free, main drive has 10GB free)

ATI Radeon 8500 128mb (tried 6071,6094,6107,6118 drivers)

SBLive 5.1 (latest Soundblaster Drivers)

OS is Windows XP Pro (all updates applied)

Think this system should be above the recommended specs.

When Resistance is started system monitor shows the total system is using 160MB of ram. And the resistance executable is using 24mb.

If I remove o.pbo, I can get it to startafter a 5 minute delay at the logo, but it is running at about 2fps, and the system is using 1.5GB of memory (most on swap file)

Any ideas appreciated as I have tried every thing I can think off. This is the only program that does not run. It is also annoying has had it on order for 2 months finally get it and now cannot start it.

Sent an email to codemasters support as supposed to , but as they only work Mon to Fri, would like to be able to play it before next weekend.

Also once someone creates an SFV report on a clean installation of Resistance using http://bssite.dns2go.com/ (Easy SFV creator 2.5.7), you can verify that your files are not corrupt.

Try copying the O.pbo and the config.bin from the CD to your OFP/res/Dta/ and OFP/res/BIN/ folders

That's all I can suggest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have you manually set your swap file size to 1000 or is W/XP still managing the size?<span id='postcolor'>

With XP I always had it set manually to initial 1024 mb Max size 3096 mb

Tried setting it to system managed but same problem.

Max page size that can be set is 4096 mb

It is currently set to 2048 mb Initial and 4096mb Max.

Still the same problem.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also once someone creates an SFV report on a clean installation of Resistance using http://bssite.dns2go.com/ (Easy SFV creator 2.5.7), you can verify that your files are not corrupt.<span id='postcolor'>

Will have to have a look for SFV report, but I never got an error installing, or when copying from either CDrom drive.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Try copying the O.pbo and the config.bin from the CD to your OFP/res/Dta/ and OFP/res/BIN/ folders<span id='postcolor'>

Have copied the whole installation manually several time after installing, but alwasy get the same error.

The O.pbo file on the CD is inside the AddOns folder not the dta folder. Moved it anyhow but still same error message.

Suppose will Have to order another 512mb of Rambus to see if that helps, but that is an expensive fix.

Thanks for your help anyway but same error occurs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kleaver @ July 13 2002,16:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The O.pbo file on the CD is inside the AddOns folder not the dta folder. Moved it anyhow but still same error message.

Suppose will Have to order another 512mb of Rambus to see if that helps, but that is an expensive fix.

Thanks for your help anyway but same error occurs.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh ya, I forgot the O.pbo goes in Addons.

I would not get more ram for this, 512 is enough.

Edit: Ok you have XP, press CTRL ALT DEL and click on performance, then check the bottom line (Commit Charge)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ July 13 2002,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also once someone creates an SFV report on a clean installation of Resistance using http://bssite.dns2go.com/  (Easy SFV creator 2.5.7), you can verify that your files are not corrupt.<span id='postcolor'>

Okies here we go res_sfv_check.zip I knocked it up quick so there's a chance I messed up wink.gif Included is pdsfv the smallest proggy I could find to check the crc. It checks the Opf\Res direc only for now as I figured that was the most prudent smile.gif

Decided to use the time to upgrade my HD on my main machine so have not been able to check the file crc's yet. But I did install my other copy of OFP (EU version Gold Version) plus redhammer and the v1.46 (redownloaded) update then resistance on my laptop.

Resistance runs (not very well) on my laptop which is a PIII700 256mb and a S3 Savage IX 8mb card Running Windows XP pro. So this eliminates that it may be a bad CD.

But on my main machine I used the US version to install and also I did add the 1.40 patch before the v1.46 patch. So maybe one of those things created the problem.

Placebo your System file checker ran fine on my laptop and said all files are good, so thanks looks like the checker works. Will check my problem machine later when its finished upgrading. Just wanted to let you know your checker works, in case you want to make a new post to make it available for others.

Will let you know the results or if I get it fixed. Takes a long time to copy 34GB of data to a bigger HD.

Update: Ran the Checker on the Problem machine All files are good. Going to try installing the same as I did on the other machine that worked, Using the EU CD's instead. If that does not fix it Guess I am back to where I started.

Ok thanks all but got it Fixed now.

After the last reinstall went to drastic measures and swapped the video card, removed the Radeon 8500 and Put my Old non Ti GF3 back in with the Nvidia 29.42 drivers.

Reinstalled All again, just sat at the codemasters banner, but no cannot memory map file. The followed your tweak guide and set the view distance down from 2000 to 1500 and textures at high, all seems to run smooth @ 1024x768x32

Oh well looks like I need to go buy that GF4 now, been putting it off for a long time, was hoping the radeon would of been a cheaper alternative, but seems to have a lot of issues.

Report: Noticed when It crashed a context.bin file was created, so sent it to BIS, see if they can see any reason as to why it would not run. Added a link to this thread in case they need more info on what happened.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kleaver @ July 14 2002,02:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Resistance runs (not very well) on my laptop which is a PIII700 256mb and a S3 Savage IX 8mb card Running Windows XP pro.<span id='postcolor'>

IBM Thinkpad T2x? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 13 2002,21:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kleaver @ July 14 2002,02:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Resistance runs (not very well) on my laptop which is a PIII700 256mb and a S3 Savage IX 8mb card Running Windows XP pro.<span id='postcolor'>

IBM Thinkpad T2x? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually It's a Toshiba 2800. Won't work with anymore ram, and the Videocard is useless in games.

Just as well I mainly use it for work. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kleaver @ July 14 2002,07:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually It's a Toshiba 2800. Won't work with anymore ram, and the Videocard is useless in games.

Just as well I mainly use it for work.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I've got an IBM T20 with the same configuration but I've been happily playing OFP on it ever since the demo came out. smile.gif

With Resistance, I've set the visual quality down a notch, notched up the textures just a little bit in advanced features and upped visibility another 100 meters. It's still quite playable but less so than before.

Anyway, work will soon be granting me a new Thinkpad and I think they might be giving me one with a 64MB graphics chip.

Soon.............. soon....................

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kleaver @ July 14 2002,04:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Report: Noticed when It crashed a context.bin file was created, so sent it to BIS, see if they can see any reason as to why it would not run. Added a link to this thread in case they need more info on what happened.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Resistance will not run at all get the cannot memory map file 'Res\addons\o.pbo' error message.<span id='postcolor'>

Your crash file was analysed. Application terminated because it could not open some .pbo file, which is also what your error message reported. Are you sure there is no Flashpoint.rpt?

It definitelly looks like some virtual memory management problem. Maybe Radeon drivers reserve too much from virtual memory space?

Cannot memory map file res/addons/o.pbo

This error happened to me the other day, I had a few programs running in background and after closing them the problem disappeared. Never happened before that and it hasn't happened since, no matter what programs are running in the background. Weird...

Ok, I start the game and all is well, I then quit OFPR and when I try to restart it, I get this error Cannot memory-map file 'RES\addons\o.pbo after the "the countdown begins" (or whatever). I must restart the computer to start OFPR again. After the reboot, OFPR starts with no problems.

When I do start the game, I get the Cannot memory-map file 'RES\Campaigns\resistance.pbo when I try to start the Resistance campaign.

Specs:

Pentium 4 2.2 ghz

ASUS P4B533-E mobo

512 MB DDR ram

MSI GF4 Ti 4400 video card with 4.13.01.2942 drivers

Windows 98SE ver 4.10.2222 A

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ July 15 2002,02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kleaver @ July 14 2002,04:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Report: Noticed when It crashed a context.bin file was created, so sent it to BIS, see if they can see any reason as to why it would not run. Added a link to this thread in case they need more info on what happened.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Resistance will not run at all get the cannot memory map file 'Res\addons\o.pbo' error message.<span id='postcolor'>

Your crash file was analysed. Application terminated because it could not open some .pbo file, which is also what your error message reported. Are you sure there is no Flashpoint.rpt?

It definitelly looks like some virtual memory management problem. Maybe Radeon drivers reserve too much from virtual memory space?<span id='postcolor'>

There was definitely no flashpoint.rpt file, when it crashed this was the file I was looking for but could never find it. Then one time I had the folder open while I started resistance and after it crashed the context.bin file was created, but no flashpoint.rpt file

I would have to agree it is something to do with the Radeon or the drivers, as when I switched to a GF3 no problems at all, has started everytime so far. Had tried 4 different drivers and every time had the same result.

Have not seen anyone else with a radeon have this problem that they cannot even start resistance. It may be possible that somewhere there were old registry settings for the GF3 card and these were causing problems for the Radeon, but never really had any major problem in anything else (Just usual Radeon driver problems), and version 1.46 + redhammer ran fine.

May try the Radeon another time when they have newer release drivers available. Till then I have gone back to a GF card, seem to have a lot less problems with it.

i have a radeon 8500le 128mb, and i get the cannot memory-map res\addons\O.pbo error

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Viper626 @ July 19 2002,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i  have a radeon 8500le 128mb, and i get the cannot memory-map res\addons\O.pbo error<span id='postcolor'>

You've deleted all your addons and increased your swap file settings to at least a minimum of 750mb?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ July 18 2002,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Viper626 @ July 19 2002,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i  have a radeon 8500le 128mb, and i get the cannot memory-map res\addons\O.pbo error<span id='postcolor'>

You've deleted all your addons and increased your swap file settings to at least a minimum of 750mb?<span id='postcolor'>

Do I do this in the OFP Prefrences Advance settings?

Under Performance tab, there's a slider for Total Memory, is this the slider I set to at least 750?

Oh yeah, I got my OFPR campaign to work now, I reinstalled all OFP and OFPR, without any user addons, and it works. But now I can't play Multiplayer, I just get stuck at Multiplayer Setup and can't select a role, however, other people in the server can see me as a selected role. Anyways, I'm gonna try some other servers and see if it's a server problem with OFPR or if it's me.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Viper626 @ July 18 2002,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i  have a radeon 8500le 128mb, and i get the cannot memory-map res\addons\O.pbo error<span id='postcolor'>

thought this thread had vanished into the past as I was the only one who seemed to never get it fixed.

First try placebo's resistance file checker to make sure you have no corrupt resistance files. placebo has a link to it on the first page of this thread.

I never actually tried turning down video acceleration, so maybe that would help.

If all files are ok then I am virtually certain, the problem is being caused by the Radeon, I have the Non LE version. I got in touch with the codemasters email support, but by the time they got back to me (weekend was in the way) I had put my old GF3 back in and the problem went away. And as it works for me with the GF3 I have not tried to get the Radeon working.

If you are like most Radeon users you have been trying lots of drivers trying to fix the graphic glitches and freezes. so best thing to try first, Is completely remove the radeon drivers, start up in safe mode and remove all the ati*.* files from windows system or system32 directory depends on what OS.

Run the regedit and clean out the ati keys from HKLM software and HKLU software. There are also some keys under services but these are tricky to remove and get the agp working again. Restart the machine and run the setup, try using either the catalyst drivers or the version before. I also tried the 2 leaked versions (which fixed NWN) but I had no luck getting it to work.

If this does not work or you do not want to try it make sure you log a tech support email to codemasters, they may have some ideas now since I told them the only way I got it to work was by changing the video card, they may of investigated the issue.

Strange thing is from the posts it works fine for some people with radeons, maybe it is just the 128mb cards that have problems.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do I do this in the OFP Prefrences Advance settings?

Under Performance tab, there's a slider for Total Memory, is this the slider I set to at least 750?

<span id='postcolor'>

Memory should be set to your system RAM not the swap file size.

Hope some info helps as I had the same problem. If you read the post from suma, about the crash log even that seems to point to the radeon causing the problem.

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ July 19 2002,03wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do I do this in the OFP Prefrences Advance settings?

Under Performance tab, there's a slider for Total Memory, is this the slider I set to at least 750?<span id='postcolor'>

No you're getting confused there, that in the Opf prefs is to tell Opf how much RAM you have available to it, I have 512mb so I tell it I have 512mb, some say you should tell it you have less than you have but I haven't noticed any problems.

Swapfile is also known as virtual memory, basically hard drive space that windows uses as a substitute for ram, changing it depends on your OS. Some info about it here, you want to be setting it to something like minimum 750mb & maximum 1500mb (1.5gb).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ July 18 2002,22:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ July 19 2002,03<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do I do this in the OFP Prefrences Advance settings?

Under Performance tab, there's a slider for Total Memory, is this the slider I set to at least 750?<span id='postcolor'>

No you're getting confused there, that in the Opf prefs is to tell Opf how much RAM you have available to it, I have 512mb so I tell it I have 512mb, some say you should tell it you have less than you have but I haven't noticed any problems.

Swapfile is also known as virtual memory, basically hard drive space that windows uses as a substitute for ram, changing it depends on your OS. Some info about it here, you want to be setting it to something like minimum 750mb & maximum 1500mb (1.5gb).<span id='postcolor'>

K, thanks, I knew I know shit about computers, so this backs it up.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ July 19 2002,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">K, thanks, I knew I know shit about computers, so this backs it up.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Hey don't be so down on yourself, for one nobody knows everything about computers, no matter how much they think they know there's always more they can know, for another if you don't ask you don't learn, if you don't know that you need to know something how do you know you need to know something, do you see? smile.gif

Just hang around this place long enough and you'll pick plenty up, for sure most of it will need a course of antibiotics to cure but there's also some good things to pick up smile.gif

I'm getting the same error, I also have an ATI RadeonLE 128mb....

I sold my old graphics card, so if it is the ATI I'm stuck not playing resistance for a long ass time till I get a new graphics card. lol, man and I was looking forward to playing resistance soo much.... sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Deus Ex @ July 23 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm getting the same error, I also have an ATI RadeonLE 128mb....

I sold my old graphics card, so if it is the ATI I'm stuck not playing resistance for a long ass time till I get a new graphics card. lol, man and I was looking forward to playing resistance soo much....  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well for me it was the ATI or a Windows XP and ATI mix problem, since going back to the GF card I have not had one crash or problem (as long as I don't run everything on max settings).

Contact support@codemasters.com, they may have an idea on other things to try. I had registered the problem with them, so hopefully others have registered the problem as well, and if they managed to fix it for some people they will have information on how to get around the problem. Plus they are supposed to handle the support on resistance.

Also www.rage3d.com mentioned that ATI will be releasing the new catalyst 2.2 drivers soon,. Maybe these will work for you, but I had the same problem with the 6107 and 6118 betas, but maybe the release are a later version.

I FIXED IT!

I went into the BIOS, btw my MotherBoard model is an "Intel Desktop Board D850GB"

and I went to "advanced" then to "Video Configuration" and then I set the *AGP Aperture Size" to "64MB"

After that OFP Resistance works, and I dont need to go buy a new video card. yay!

I already contacted Codemasters, so I should probly send them another e-mail telling them how I fixed it.

Hope this helps :-\

Oh yea I'm still having problems with the Alt Tab, Game Gamma Problem.  mad.gif