Sign in to follow this  
MotherRussiaAK74

While watching the Northern Alliance on tv...

lol, welded, looks like it can do a lot of harm then, but whut if the weld brakes? that sounds like another painful day in my life :cool:

if the weld breaks then you can try shooting RPGs at F-14s like the taliban was doing until we FAE'd their troops

Lol, yes, Even worse, Ive seen auto parts Welded (i still think they were glued) do one of the few tanks in afghanistan.

they'll have to weld a M1A1 to a T55 to make it any good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from LordZach on 2:59 pm on Nov. 17, 2001

t55 is good....to laugh at<span id='postcolor'>

Hey hey its the most modern tank in Afganistan ... but ok it good to laugh at.

Guest Scooby

I can tell you that you are far away from laughing when even old T-55 comes towards you when you are infantry man...

You're also far away from laughing when you're in your T-55 and an M1A1 Abrams points it's gun at your ass.

T-55 is a great tank, basically it's the AK47 of tanks. Plus does the Northern Alliance need anything better to fight the taliban? They just run away anyhow...

The Taliban don't have much more than the Northan Alliance. The Taliban were given their hardware by America during the Afganistan War with the USSR. But now the Americans are giving stuff to the Northan Alliance. But they are getting more from the Russian. No surprise it isn't top grade stuff...they don't need it. Besides, if I was Russian, I wouldn't give them anything.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from The Jub Jub Bird on 6:43 pm on Nov. 17, 2001

The Taliban don't have much more than the Northan Alliance. The Taliban were given their hardware by America during the Afganistan War with the USSR. But now the Americans are giving stuff to the Northan Alliance. But they are getting more from the Russian. No surprise it isn't top grade stuff...they don't need it. Besides, if I was Russian, I wouldn't give them anything.<span id='postcolor'>

correction: Americans gave Northern Allience hardware. Northern Alliance are re-named Mujaheds. Taliban wasn't as big during Soviet-afghan conflict and in fact they came to power 3 years after conflict had eneded during a power strife.

Northern Allience specifically request older Russian equipment (T55s namely). They are light to move in the mountains, they know how to operate them, and Afghans don't use tanks as tanks, they use them simply as mobile artillery. The same way Russian army currently uses T62,64 and 72s. To shell the enemy you might as well use old WW2 T-34s, it will have the same effect as M1A2 shelling. In fact T-34 is still popular in the Balkans and Africa...

And for those who laught at T-55, well those people obviously dont know anything about the tank. When it came out in the early '50s there was NOTHING that could match it untill ....late '70s! Basically Western armour was s**t (for the lack of better word) till mid-80s, and soviet forces had about 1 to 5 advantage with much better tanks.

About giving things to NA, alot of Russians are against it (most are actually). We know them for who they are, treacherous turncoat dogs, so giving them things is calling for trouble.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Devil on 5:01 am on Nov. 17, 2001

The ragheads do some crazy s**t to their cars.

<span id='postcolor'>

Hey man that's not a cool thing to say - take your racism elsewhere.

Much of the Taliban's hardware (and many other kinds of support) came from Pakistan.

The guys who actually beat off the Soviets where lead by Ahmed Shah Massoud (the national hero who was "coincidentally" assassinated by a team of Bin Laden's suicide bombers on Sept 9).

T55 is indeed one of the all time great AFVs - and still plenty threatening if all you have is a rifle (or an RPG for that matter).

I doubt an M1 (or any other current western AFV) would last very long in that environment without skilled crews and regular maintenance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from DVII on 11:49 pm on Nov. 17, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from LordZach on 2:59 pm on Nov. 17, 2001

t55 is good....to laugh at<span id='postcolor'>

Hey hey its the most modern tank in Afganistan ... but ok it good to laugh at.

<span id='postcolor'>

The Northern Alliance has T-62s -- there are pictures of them being paraded through Kabul. And if they have them, I'm sure the Taliban have them, too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MotherRussiaAK74 on 1:30 am on Nov. 18, 2001

T-55 is a great tank, basically it's the AK47 of tanks. Plus does the Northern Alliance need anything better to fight the taliban? They just run away anyhow...

<span id='postcolor'>

But they aren't running away from the Northern Alliance, they are running from American airpower. The Taliban were able to push back the Northern Alliance until they held only a small fraction (< 10%) of Afghanistan's territory, and have always had an advantage in terms of both quality and quantity of materiel. They've been able to finance their military with drug money, while the Northern Alliance has had to rely on clandestine (and not so clandestine) support from foreign governments.

one could say that the taibans arent running away at all, they are giving kabul to NA just to provoke the alliance between nato and NA to end.

the NA will not hand over control of the power they fought for all these years just cos usa says so, so now it will be very intresting to see what happens next..the war is far from over, it has just begun.