Sign in to follow this  
cjgsicknote

bullet drop needs tweaking?

Is it just me or is there not as much of a trajectorial ( is that actually a word?) arc as seen in arma 2?. I seem to be very accurate over different distances with a dead aim?. Is this depiction of the gravitational force upon a projectile actually more realistic?. Thanks for any thoughts on this!!

I noticed the same thing. Bullets seem to travel much faster in the A3 alpha than any previous arma game. Even pistols seem to have little to no drop bullet drop, even at hundres of yards away.

Noticed the same thing here, with my rifle ranged in at 300m I was making 600m shots without having to compensate for the range that much at all, unlike ArmA 2 OA.

Maybe its because the bullets in 2035 are soooo much superior :)

I can't actually say if the bullet drop is ok or not, maybe its ok for some weapons/ammo, and not for others, maybe it is wrong for all of them - dunno, but i am sure this is going to undertake some tweaking.

Doesn't this game use newer guns? I'd imagine newer guns will excel at certain things, but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

Doesn't this game use newer guns? I'd imagine newer guns will excel at certain things, but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.
The way guns work has not changed much in the last 100 years and it wont as long as a chemical propellant drives a jacketed heavy metal projectile with a hard metal core through a rifled steel barrel...but that was done already back in 1914 and balistics have not changed much.

The underwater gun (whatever it is called...) says it is zeroed at 30meters, however I didn't seem to need to do any compensation at all during the scuba mission, though I haven't fully tested it.

And yes, it depends on which weapons/ammo are you comparing.

If you take the 6.5 grendel for example, it should have much more flatter trajectory than 5.56 which has been used in most weapons in A2.

The way guns work has not changed much in the last 100 years and it wont as long as a chemical propellant drives a jacketed heavy metal projectile with a hard metal core through a rifled steel barrel...but that was done already back in 1914 and balistics have not changed much.

Oh okay.

Yeah but is this an accurate depiction of bullet drop in modern weaponry and ammunition or is it a problem that needs fixing by the devs. I've noticed that firefights seem to last longer and are at seemingly more realistic ranges than in arma 2, is this related to the new bullet physics as well?

we can just calcuulate it for ourself

=>travel speed of a pistol? around v=500m/s; gravity: g= 9.81 m/s^2

Here I recorded it in the editor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LucQ-1wAmK0

tell me how much did the bullet drop on those 100m - we need a better measure tool for it - but i guess its around 0.2m -> 0.6m?

so when we shoot: s = 100 m with a velocity of lets just say something like v =500 m/s which is maybe a typical pistol muzzle velocity.

the bullet should sink how far:

1. how long did it fly?

t = s / v = 0.2 Seconds - the bullet flys 0.2 seconds to the 100m target

2. how deep did it fall in 0.2 seconds:

h = 1/2 * g * t^2 = 0.19 cm <- thats the bullet drop

so the bullet should have fallen 20 centimeter?

in the video the bullet even sinks more than that, so the pistol velocity is even lower. lets calc it for fun:

lets say the bullet fell 60 cm in the video (its hard to measure - need a texture object)

1. t = SQRT{h*2/g} = 0.35 Seconds

so the bullet in ArmA flys something slower - more around 0.35 Seconds (maybe even slower)

it has so a speed of:

2. v = s / t = 100 / 0.35 = 285 m/s

I guess within those caclulated borders of:

290 m/s <-> 500 m/s

and a bullet drop around 0.6 m <-> 0.2 m

is very reasonable.

when you want to have it calculated within other systems - heres a neat sheet: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/grav.html

it all neglects wind / air etc but that doesnt affect the bullet sooo much - its more about is it done nearly right? Yes i absolutely think so. I guess in most shooter games, its done plainly wrong. (the concept of G Force is not clear to everyone)

it all neglects wind / air etc but that doesnt affect the bullet sooo much

Air resistance is very big because of high bullet velocities,

320 m/s at 0m (start velocity) may become 200 m/s at 50m and 170 m/s at 70m.

water resistance drag is even bigger so effective range underwater is 30m only with specially designed weapons

Remember that in ArmA 2, at least, impact FX played a few milliseconds after the impact, giving the impression of slow bullets.

So do you think impact fx will also make it into the final arma 3 build? Or is it something that has been purposefully removed? Basically is this likely to be it as far as the weapons projectile trajectories?