Sign in to follow this  
daftmedic

RagDoll

The problem with mocapping death anims is that you actually have to kill a person in order to get the result as realistic as possible.

That flat hand, straight fingers, bothers me. "Relaxed" hand is never flat.

But if basic 3D-model has straight fingers, ragdoll has straight fingers ...I guess?

I wish it could be changed. It does look really bad, even stupid the way it is now.

I love it, I just hope they eventually make it where crashing something like the ATV can send you cartwheeling through the air :)

Sticking to them as if you were permanently attached to the seat is a bit disappointing and anti-climactic.

I love it, I just hope they eventually make it where crashing something like the ATV can send you cartwheeling through the air :)

Sticking to them as if you were permanently attached to the seat is a bit disappointing and anti-climactic.

Yes, that would be good but hard to control I guess. So it doesn't send the character flying too far.

Also the faster a ragdoll is travelling the lower the collision detection accuracy...

Smurf: Explosions do push outwards but I agree it should be a bit stronger.

Edited by EDcase

The problem with mocapping death anims is that you actually have to kill a person in order to get the result as realistic as possible.

That has to go down as the quote of the year!

You want to make an omlette, you gotta break a few eggs... ;)

No I completely see where you're coming from, its not an easy undertaking. Whats worse is that there arent any "hard and fast" rules when it comes to what happens - a headshot from a high-calibre round will probably mean they are dead before they hit the floor. Likewise, a round that goes straight through someone and takes out their spinal column might not neccessarily kill them, but they will again go limp pretty much instantly. That of course depends on where it hits them in the spine - if its below the waist, their arms might reach out to stop them from falling, but their legs might not work at all.

Even getting hit in the plate of Level IIIA body armour is apparently like being hit with a sledge hammer; you're almost certainly going on your backside if you take anything more than 9x19mm rounds.

Its a tough call guys. I personally would say that it should be ragdoll, influenced by the movement/position of the player at that particular moment - if you're leaning around a corner, and you take a round, your centre of gravity will just carry you on over until you fall onto that side. If you are sprinting full-whack down a road and you take a round to the head, you'll probably be moving forward, leaning forward, head down. That way, odds are you'll end up falling forward and crumpling, as well as skid along for a bit as your momentum gets slowed down.

That said, if you have a heavy load on your back, such as a rocket or backpack, then chances are you'll fall backwards, but still slip along.

I think whoever mentioned it before (forgive me, I cant remember who) but a slightly "less floppy" ragdoll, influenced by CoG, movement and position, would be the best bet. Its never going to be perfect, unless you actually go and find someone willing to get shot in the face for Mocap!

If any of you curious internet goers have ever stumbled upon videos of people being engaged and hit you can see that its pretty much like cutting the cords of a puppet, This is where some soldiers coin the term 'drop him' as they drop.

As for in game it is good to see the target jolt when a round hits the plates or helmet but they do the same old leaning back that happened next to explosions in A2, some times it's funny to see them fly away when they clip awkwardly into the rocks.

Just want to see an "injured out of combat" state/animations like they have in A2 when enabled, which isn't just "ragdoll unconscious" but rather has the characters rolling around on the ground or occasionally flopping over in pain or whatever - a continuous prone animation set. I think that was set up fairly well in A2, with a large percentage of casualties being non-immediately fatal and even recoverable through medical assistance. A combination of this with an ACE-like system would be best.

Ragdoll doesnt use mo-capping, only animations do surely