Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

w+s: Speed transition makes character stop for a moment

Hi,

I apologize if I misunderstood something: I didn't play much and didn't understand stances and speed settings/keybindings yet.

As I understood it, while pressing "w" I can tap "s" and this makes my character running slower. w+s again: faster. My problem is, this is not really working because the character stops for a moment.

What are your thoughts on this?

Beside that, it's impressive what character bindings are possible today :) Total freedom.

TIA

Michael

I would also like a smoother transition between the two movement states, it seems a bit odd having that half second pause lol

I've changed my run/walk toggle to 2xshift.

a) Do you press it while pressing w? Sounds difficult for me...

b) If you do, doesn't the character stop for a moment? (Cannot test, not @home)

Tap it twice with my pinky finger, while walking.

Most of the time it simply switches on the move.

Sometimes if I'm changing direction from W to WA it get's a little tricky to also tap 2xshift.

Might not work for your setup, but it feels smoother to me. :)

I've changed my run/walk toggle to 2xshift.

QFT - that's ArmA II's (and previous games) default.

a) Do you press it while pressing w? Sounds difficult for me...

b) If you do, doesn't the character stop for a moment? (Cannot test, not @home)

Rebind Temporary Walk to Shift & Walk Toggle to 2x Shift

a) Pinky action ftw - tap twice to toggle on Walk, or hold down Shift to slow down to Walk, if the situation warrants it.

b) Doesn't - it's a smooth transition even with W held down.

c) Also, keep in mind that Turbo (Sprint) doesn't work in configurations like 2x W. Use "Fast Forward", which performs exactly the same function for infantry, except that it does work with a 2x W config.

Point c) doesn't apply, if you use some other single keypress to initiate the sprint -- I prefer ArmA II default = 2x W.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

As I understood it, while pressing "w" I can tap "s" and this makes my character running slower. w+s again: faster. My problem is, this is not really working because the character stops for a moment.
Not once was tactical pace mentioned here. :)

Well, the default action for W+S is to switch between the run/tactical pace and walk. To me, tactical pace is a form of running, while walking wouldn't be. So maybe he changed his binding?